Just bought a Mazda MX-3....how can I find out its model?

Relf Lauren

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Edmunds has three models listed for the 1993 mx-3: STD, GS, and special.

any ideas as to how I can find out which one I bought? Its not crucial, I would just like to know

Thanks

Apr 5, 2000
No offense but that's something you should have figured out BEFORE you bought the car....like from the person you bought from

On Edmunds, click on each model, then Standard Features - go see if your car has those features - start with Special first. If it doesn't have those features, check GS, then standard.

isaacmacdonald

Platinum Member
Jun 7, 2002
Originally posted by: Angrymarshmello
No offense but that's something you should have figured out BEFORE you bought the car....like from the person you bought from

On Edmunds, click on each model, then Standard Features - go see if your car has those features - start with Special first. If it doesn't have those features, check GS, then standard.

not always true. oddly enough, the ES version of the car I recently bought (98 stratus) is supposed to come standard with a sports transmission. mine doesn't have one. I was pretty sure it wasn't an es, but then when I got insurance the vin was for an ES. soooo, standard features don't cut it. On the other hand, the VIN number probably should tell you what version you have.

Relf Lauren

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
My dad bought me the car, so he isn't concerned with the same things I am. I haven't seen the car yet, but once I do I will look over the engine and see if I can see what model it is.

Can I find out the model from the VIN ?

The reason I ask is, both the STD/Special versions have 88hp, while the GL has 130hp. I dont care which one I get, since getting the one with more hp gives me less milage.....to me, milage is equal to hp (I am a student, need to save on gas)

Thanks

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Relf Lauren
My dad bought me the car, so he isn't concerned with the same things I am. I haven't seen the car yet, but once I do I will look over the engine and see if I can see what model it is.

The reason I ask is, both the STD/Special versions have 88hp, while the GL has 130hp. I dont care which one I get, since getting the one with more hp gives me less milage.....to me, milage is equal to hp (I am a student, need to save on gas)

Thanks

88hp...130hp...dang. Big difference...hope you get the 130hp one. My Corolla is 120hp stock, and it has broke 40mpg before..

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
Originally posted by: CadetLee

Thanks

88hp...130hp...dang. Big difference...hope you get the 130hp one. My Corolla is 120hp stock, and it has broke 40mpg before..

Actually, its 105 vs 130. 4 banger vs V6

Check out mx-3.com

Metalloid

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
The later years are 105 instead of 88 for the base model. What year is it?

EDIT: Doh I should have read more carefully. A 93 would be the 88hp unless it is the GS.

EDIT 2: Oh and by the way I was considering this car.... let me know how you like it.

Relf Lauren

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Yep, I knew the base 93 only had 88hp.....

I was considering a neon instead of this car, cause it had decent power.....but then I read on the boards that older neons had problems, so I decided to get an old japanese car......my 90 tercel lasted me for 13 years, and it was the king of gas milage....

Metalloid15, I'll let you know how it turns out.....if you have any questions, feel free to PM me...

Thanks

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
Kevin, are you sure its 105 and not 88?......

bwt, do you own an mx-3?

thanks

No, I just read it on the website...