just bought 5900xt , but it's still slow in most newer games with aa and af and fan noise is drivig me crazy!

mikevine69

Feb 28, 2004
I just bought this card a few days ago, but I'm not happy at all.

I've tested this loud ps on mafia, call of duty, farcry demo, midnight club2, halo, max payne 2, need for speed underground, lord of the rings rotk, prince of persia and tomb raider angel of darkness.
most of the games performs poorly with aa/af.
I've tried everything to try to improve my scores but it didn't help much, the only thing that helped a little was trying different drivers but it just degrades image quality even worse.
I might try overclocking later , to see if that helps , what fan do you guys recommend me buying because I can't stand the noise this card gives?

Jan 31, 2002
Well, you bought a budget 5900 - XT is the nVidia budget line - it's going to perform bad with huge amounts of AA/AF.

What drivers are you using, and what game settings?

- M4H

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Jayavarman
return the thing. Shell out $20 more and get the Radeon 9800 Pro.

Which, by the way, will spank the 5900XT so hard it won't be able to sit down for a week.

- M4H

CaiNaM

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
hmm.. ignoring all the fanboy rantings...

mafia, i've heard from many sorces does not seem to run well on nv hardware. traod doesn't seem to like nv hardware either, but the others should run well.

assuming you actually have it and are seeking help (you didn't provide much info and didn't seem like you were asking for help other than just basically slamming your card),

- what "score" are you talking about?
- what is your system configuration?
- what video card did you replace (what are you comparing this to?)
- what drivers are you using?
- which 5900xt did you get?
- what resolution are you running?
- what have you tried to improve performance?

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: CaiNaM

mafia, i've heard from many sorces does not seem to run well on nv hardware. traod doesn't seem to like nv hardware either, but the others should run well.

assuming you actually have it and are seeking help (you didn't provide much info and didn't seem like you were asking for help other than just basically slamming your card),

Dude some research, where not fanboys. The 5900XT is a midrange card.

Jayavarman

Nov 21, 2003
Notice how Nvidia trys to belittle the Radeon XTs by using the XT extension on their subpar product.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
well its really the lowist part of the high end, but a 9800pro for would be well worth another 20$ for faster aa and af in those games.

Pete

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Tabb, 5900XT is really a high-end card in that it scores practically the same as a 5900. The attraction is that it's *priced* like a mid-range card, but performs like a high-end one. If you don't find the 5900XT's AA+AF speed good enough to qualify as high-end, you're basically saying the 5900 isn't high-end, either. That seems like a bit of a stretch.

Mike,
I've tested this loud ps on mafia, call of duty, farcry demo, midnight club2, halo, max payne 2, need for speed underground, lord of the rings rotk, prince of persia and tomb raider angel of darkness.
Mafia: ATi cards are known to perform much better on Mafia, nothing you can do there.
CoD: I guess a 5900XT isn't as fast as I expected in this Q3A-engine game with AA+AF. Just <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/vga-charts-05.html/l], or just use AA, and you should be swimming in excess frames.
FarCry: [l=Don't]http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/galaxy_zeus_5700_ultra/page_4.shtml">drop AA+AF</a> expect miracles. This is a bleeding edge game, and will stress your card more than almost anything out there.
Halo, NFS:U, PoP:SoT: AA doesn't work in these games because of certain effects they employ. But performance should be good with a 5900XT. Well, PoP should give you ~60fps @ 10x7 w/o AA+AF.
TR:AoD: This should run fine, as long as you avoid some or all PS2.0 effects.

Hmmm, after looking at some of those numbers, the 5900XT just doesn't look that impressive in newer games w/AA+AF. 60fps in PoP at just 10x7--without AF--just doesn't seem acceptable for a current ~$200 card. I mean, if it can barely hit 60fps in current games, how will it fare in ones coming out in a few months? (Yes, I suppose my idea of 60fps as acceptable may be a bit high, but a card that scores less than that at the time of purchase in your games of choice is basically obsolete the moment you buy it, IMO. I look for longevity in addition to good current performance.)

A 9800P should be faster than a 5900XT, particularly with AA+AF, but I'm surprised your card performs "poorly." What settings are you using? What PC do you have (CPU, RAM)?

Which 5900XT did you buy, anyway? The MSI 5900XT should be very quiet, and at $185 it's about as cheap as they come (at least, until XFX released their noisier and cheaper $159 version).

CaiNaM

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
Notice how Nvidia trys to belittle the Radeon XTs by using the XT extension on their subpar product.
how is that? it kicks the 9600xt's arse for the most part, which is the market segment this card competes in.

CaiNaM

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Tabb

Dude some research, where not fanboys. The 5900XT is a midrange card.

or maybe you should read before you speak? i never said it was a "high end" part. i asked specific questions to try and understand the OP's issue and perhaps solve it; none of which you were able to respond to, making your post rather pointless to this discussion.

CaiNaM

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
Originally posted by: TheSnowman
well its really the lowist part of the high end, but a 9800pro for would be well worth another 20$ for faster aa and af in those games.

well, it's about $30 difference (tho i hear xfx has one around $159, making it a $50 difference between the "cheapest" 5900xt and "cheapest" 9800 pro, which is a sapphire). in the retail world where most people purchase parts it's about $100 difference.

however assuming you shop online, if you can afford the $30, the 9800pro is a fine card, imo and a "high end" card as opposed to the 5900xt "mainstream" part.

what people seem to forget is that the 5900xt is intended to compete in the same market as the 9600xt, not the 9800 series...

the other thing that most people seem to ignore is that "online" sales are a small part of the overall market. The far greater majority buy them off the retail shelf from places such as BestBuy, CompUSA, Fry's, etc. where the 5900xt and the 9600xt compete on shelves at $199, and the 9800pro is in a different class altogether at $299 (the $199 after MIR deal at CompUSA was a limited time exception).

those of us saavy enough to buy online are a very small % of the overall market, and the pricing we discuss overall is irrelevant: retail shelf space still rules. people like to see, feel, and touch the products they buy, and be able to deal w/ people face to face if products fail to live up to their expectations.

heck, even many of us will at times pay more from a B&M just for the convenience of getting it NOW, or for the liberal return policies offered by stores like BestBuy.

nemesismk2

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2001
www.ultimatehardware.net
Originally posted by: mikevine69
I just bought this card a few days ago, but I'm not happy at all.

I've tried everything to try to improve my scores but it didn't help much, the only thing that helped a little was trying different drivers but it just degrades image quality even worse.
I might try overclocking later , to see if that helps , what fan do you guys recommend me buying because I can't stand the noise this card gives?

Which brand of FX5900 XT do you have because my MSI (a bargain at £114 and the Vivo version as well!) is very quiet?

I'm very pleased with the performance of aa/af, are you sure you have installed your drivers correctly?

Viper96720

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2002
how is that? it kicks the 9600xt's arse for the most part, which is the market segment this card competes in.

Their referring to the 9800XT not the 9600XT.

CaiNaM

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Viper96720

Their referring to the 9800XT not the 9600XT.

so ati is "belittles" themselves as well by giving the 'xt' monikor to the 9600?

bandana163

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2003
How fast is your CPU?

If you have issues regarding poor performance on a card like this, the problem is most likely not the video card.
The games you listed don't even need a middle-end card to run smoothly without AA. AA doesn't waste high-end systems. What settings do you use?
I think you have a fast Vcard and a slow CPU. Could you post your 3DMark scores?

Just to make things clear:
The 5900XT is a normal 5900 running at 400/700MHz, it's a high-end card with 256bit memory and 8 pipelines. The only difference between this and the 5900/5900ultra is the core/memory speed. A board with 128bit memory and/or 4 pixel pipelines will never outperform it.

Viper96720

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2002
Nvidia could've called it a 5700Ultra Ti series or something. Then everyone would think it was an awesome card. Like their previous TI-4400 Ti-4600 or GF3 and GF3 TI-500. At least ATI used 9600XT and 9800XT you won't be confusing which one is the better performer. Person goes to store sees ATI 9800, and ATI 9800XT. Person notices the 9800XT costs more than the 9800 so it must be the better of the two. Then notices a Nvidia 5900XT for less on the shelf. They think Nvidia 5900XT must be the best nvidia card since it has XT and it costs less so they buy that one.

CaiNaM

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
Nvidia could've called it a 5700Ultra Ti series or something. Then everyone would think it was an awesome card. Like their previous TI-4400 Ti-4600 or GF3 and GF3 TI-500. At least ATI used 9600XT and 9800XT you won't be confusing which one is the better performer. Person goes to store sees ATI 9800, and ATI 9800XT. Person notices the 9800XT costs more than the 9800 so it must be the better of the two. Then notices a Nvidia 5900XT for less on the shelf. They think Nvidia 5900XT must be the best nvidia card since it has XT and it costs less so they buy that one.

so, given your explanation, according to your logic people will buy the 9600xt as they must think that's the best card ati has and it costs less?

what do people think the $499 dollar 5950 ultra is? how about since it uses "xt", the 9600xt is better than a 9800pro? i'm sorry, but your logic just doesn't fly....

Unrealdude

Feb 22, 2004
Mikevine first of all mention in detail what ur system specs are????
and if u can sell this off and get a sapphire 9800 pro(way better performer) for around 220$ at newegg

Viper96720

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2002
It does make sense. THE 9800PRO HAS A HIGHER NUMBER THAN 9600XT. They won't be confusing you with which one is the better performer. Nvidia probably named it like that to confuse uninformed consumers. 9800XT top ATI performer. 5900XT low end of 5900 series. Only a dummy would think a 9600XT is better than a 9800XT. 9600 has a lower number than 9800. Why didn't they just call it a 5700XT if its competing with 9600XT then? They could've also called 5950Ultra 5900XT instead.

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
mikevine69, system specs? Driver version? Card model? What did you run and what modes?

This sounds like covert Nvidia bashing to me.

nemesismk2

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2001
www.ultimatehardware.net
Originally posted by: Todd33
mikevine69, system specs? Driver version? Card model? What did you run and what modes?

This sounds like covert Nvidia bashing to me.

Sounds like that to me as well especially considering he's posted pretty much the same thing in another thread.

Viper96720

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2002
That or he's trying to run maximum aa and af and expecting the card to run really good. Not going to happen no matter what card. I think bashing to. Original poster hasn't replied back yet. Plus fan noise isn't that bad.

CaiNaM

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
It does make sense. THE 9800PRO HAS A HIGHER NUMBER THAN 9600XT. They won't be confusing you with which one is the better performer. Nvidia probably named it like that to confuse uninformed consumers. 9800XT top ATI performer. 5900XT low end of 5900 series. Only a dummy would think a 9600XT is better than a 9800XT. 9600 has a lower number than 9800. Why didn't they just call it a 5700XT if its competing with 9600XT then? They could've also called 5950Ultra 5900XT instead.

and the 5950 ULTRA HAS A HIGHER NUMBER OF THAN THE 5900XT. SO, by your own admission, only a dumm would think the 5900 is faster than 5950.

you are applying one type of logic to support your view, then changing your logic to support your opposing view. that's called hypocricy.

and no, calling it a 5700xx would make even less sense, as the gpu is 5900 series (not even crippled as the "se" & "le" series ati gpu's are)......

could they have come up with a "fairer" naming convention? sure.. but that's not the point, nor was it the reason for my original reply in ther first place.