Just because your a tech, doesn't mean you can't ask for advice.

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
This guy came in with a 503+ motherboard claiming that it was defective.

He said that the machine would constantly pop up with registry errors.

I like dealing with computer parts in such a large volume because you can use percentages of returned product in relation to product sold to make a point. And using numbers make you sound intelligent. ;)

I asked him if he tried another CPU in the motherboard. He said no.

This is why I asked: Of all the stuff I've tested in the past, when I get chronic registry errors, 70% of the time I'll replace the processor and the problem goes away. 20% of the time it's the motherboard. I'll give 5% to RAM and 5% to &quot;other&quot;.

So I test his board with my 500 MHz K6 processor. It works flawlessly. I ran BCM for a couple loops and it never crashed. While it was running I decided to talk to the guy.

I said to him that the problem was likely the CPU.

Of course he has to point out that he got that from us as well like it would make any difference. &quot;No, sorry sir. Only one visit per customer, per day. You'll have to come back tomorrow with that CPU!&quot;. :p

I told him that if he had called tech support first I would've told him to bring both in and if he wants to call me when he gets home we could go over a few things.

Now here the part that struck me funny:

He said he was a tech and therefore didn't need to call our tech support.

Huh?

I can be pretty cocky, but I sware that I'll ALWAYS ask the other tech, ASI's tech, AMD's tech, you guys, etc. for advice if there is ever a shadow of doubt in my mind that I could be wrong.

Nope. Not this guy. He's SUCH A GOOD tech that he needs NOBODY'S help in ANY matter.

Whew! Fruit-loopy if you ask me! :D

I replaced the board for him anyway because I could use the 503+ myself, and told him that when he realizes that the problem is actually the CPU because I replaced his good board with another good board, he can come on in and we'll swap it for him! ;)

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
lol JG you're still at it?? give anandtech forums a little break! :p

cxim

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
Hey jonnyG,

When you get really down, there is a barbie doll that I know that will lift your spirits in Tampa. Will take a couple of $$ from your piggy bank. It is amazing what a toy can do !

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
if visiting compusa is any clue, techs need all the advice they can get :p as in get some PC knowledge before starting work :p