Just beat HL2 and Far Cry - Looking for some other good FPS.

DaveyTN

Mar 8, 2005
I loved playing HL2 and Far Cry. They were great games. Can you recommend some other great FPS games for the PC? I tried Doom3 and Fear demos but couldn't get into those...

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
System Shock 2
Deus Ex 1
Quake 4
Painkiller
Undying
Chronicles of Riddick
Serious Sam 2
Tribes: Vengeance
Call of Duty 1
Splinter Cell
No One Lives Forever 1 and 2
Alice
Thief 3
Vampire: Bloodlines (Unofficial Patch)
Hitman Contracts (Best Hitman 1 missions redone + others)

Edit: Added Thief/Bloodlines/Hitman based on recommendations on others. I'm sure I'm missing a few more here, but this should be a decent guideline list for any _single player_ fun. The list would be wholely different for multiplayer.

CalvinHobbes

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2004
I really liked Chronicles of Riddick. I liked FEAR a lot although I didn't think it was any special when I played the demo. I'm currently playing COD2 which is tons of fun.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
call of duty, call of duty 2. i think i like cod 1 better than 2 so far.

for sp, cod 1 really drew me into the game and i felt like i was there. i'm not really getting that from cod2. maybe because its not really a new experience anymore.

multiplayer is pretty much the same. they even have a lot of the same maps from cod1 for mp in cod2. the maps in cod2 seem smaller too, but maybe its just that i haven't played cod1 in a long time.

Soldier of Fortune 2. its an older game, but its really good and still holds up fairly well. not as many people playing multiplayer anymore though, but it sounds like you are more into the SP aspect anyway. you could probably get it for really cheap on ebay or even in a store. i think it was $20 the last time i saw but that was like a year ago so it might be cheaper now.

i didn't really care for FEAR or DOOM3 either.

Patt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
Both Call of Duty episodes, Serious Sam for some mindless blasting, and I'll toss in another vote for Chronicles of Riddick as well. Great, great game.

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: skace
System Shock 2
Deus Ex 1
Quake 4
Painkiller
Undying
Chronicles of Riddick
Serious Sam 2
Call of Duty 1
Splinter Cell
Alice

:thumbsup:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Look into PainKiller and the expansion pack, Battle Out of H3ll.

Prolly bargin bin now, pretty good gfx and the levels are very different from one to the other. Especially BOoH expansion.

Fern

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Star Wars: Republic Commando.

Looks pretty good, story isnt great, some good atmosphere and its pretty short.

Squad-based FPS with highly simplified control over your buddies, I think it pulls it off extremely well. Worth a look into, should be quite cheap now.

tuteja1986

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2005
Play riddick escape from butcher bay
then deus ex now

If you don't play riddick escape from butcher bay i can't call you FPS gamer!

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003

System Shock 2
Deus Ex 1
Quake 4
Painkiller
Undying
Chronicles of Riddick
Serious Sam 2
Call of Duty 1
Splinter Cell
Alice

Very good list. Matches mine almost exactly. I would call this list almost exclusive, actually. I would only add possibly Medal of Honor (for the experience of D-Day alone, ala Saving Private Ryan), RTCW, and the Thief series. I'm almost done with Chronicles of Riddick. And I have to agree with others, this is a total sleeper. Probably one of my top 3 - 5 games ever played behind the two you just finished. PM me if you are interested in it. I'm gonna put it up FS next week.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Deus Ex, The Marathon Trilogy, The Lands of Lore Trilogy, The Hitman Trilogy, System Shock, System Shock II, and Mafia.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
Originally posted by: HamburgerBoy
Deus Ex, The Marathon Trilogy, The Lands of Lore Trilogy, The Hitman Trilogy, System Shock, System Shock II, and Mafia.

And I haven't played a single one...

tuteja1986

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Malak
Originally posted by: HamburgerBoy

And I haven't played a single one...

play Deus ex 2 and then system shock 2 and then slap your slef and go "why didn't i played the game before"

NicColt

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2000
Soldier of Fortune 2 was quite good, should be in the cheap bin by now. and I still play ET which is free.