Just another ignorant troll thread

zendari

Banned
May 27, 2005
Text

More Children and Men Getting Fat

ATLANTA - Could the obesity epidemic be peaking?

According to the government's most accurate recent check of the nation's girth, U.S. men and children are increasingly tipping the scales. But the obesity rate among women ? who at 33 percent are heavier as a group ? held steady.

The study didn't examine why men and children are getting fatter and women aren't. But some experts think the leveling off in women could signal a turning point in the nation's obesity epidemic.

"Women have always been more responsible about health than the general population," said Dr. William Dietz, of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which reported the new data.

"I'd like to think this shows women are leading the way in recognizing obesity as a health threat," said Dietz, director of the
CDC's Division of Nutrition and Physical Activity.

Another piece of research also suggests a turn. The NPD Group, a New York-based market research firm, found the percentage of overweight adults has held steady from 2002 to 2005.

"I would say it has leveled off. The bad news is we haven't found a way to lose weight," said Harry Balzer, vice president of NPD, which each year tracks what thousands of people eat and their self-reported height and weight.

The CDC report is being published in this week's
Journal of the American Medical Association.

The findings come from the CDC's National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, which collects data on a sample of about 5,000 people each year. The researchers clustered years together, presenting calculations for 1999-2000, 2001-2002 and 2003-2004.

The survey is considered the gold standard for obesity data ? it's done through in-person examinations that include actual height and weight measurements.

That beats telephone surveys, in which men tend to overstate their height and heavy people underestimate weight, throwing off obesity calculations, said Cynthia Ogden, the study's lead author.

The study found the percentage of men who are overweight rose to 71 percent in 2003-2004, from 67 percent in 1999-2000. The obese percentage rose to 31 percent, from 27.5 percent.

For women, both the overweight and obese percentages held steady, at about 62 percent and 33 percent, respectively.

Why women held steady is not clear, but Balzer said it may have to do with a leveling of employment rates for women since the late 1990s. He also noted a leveling of the percentage of Americans who eat meals at home ? home portions are considered healthier than what is eaten in restaurants.

For children, the percentage of boys, ages 2 to 19, who were seriously overweight, or obese, rose to more than 18 percent in 2003-2004, from 14 percent four years earlier. For girls, the percentage rose to 16 percent, from about 14 percent.

The CDC study also offered data on the percentage of kids who were heavier than 85 percent of children the same age and sex, as recorded in an earlier growth chart benchmark. Those children are customarily referred to as overweight, though the CDC does not use that term.

The percentage of kids in that category shot up to almost 34 percent in 2003-2004, compared to 28 percent in 1999-2000.

"I think the bad news about children far outweighs the good news about women," said Kelly Brownell, director of Yale University's Center for Eating and Weight Disorders.

Not suprising given the previous news. How many more Americans in Massachusetts will increase their gluttonous lifestyle of consumption when they don't even have to pay for the negative health effects?

Stop trolling

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Well maybe if they stopped sitting around watching foxnews while eating snacks from wal mart and using their big SUV as a excuse to not get exercise then then we wouldnt be a country of "fatties".

*yawn* more lazy fat american propaganda, why is it you hate this country so?

Let me guess, your friends told you it is ok, right?

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: zendari
I guess its no wonder hospital costs are increasing now that everything has to be supersized. It's unfortunate that our society is catering to the fatties and their lives of gluttony.
You certainly are a hateful little troll. Get help.

Banzai042

Jul 25, 2005
Funny how "chronic obesity that the patent can't do anything about" seems to be an exclusivly american phenomenon. Sure, genetics and such can have an impact on it, but there is something called "at least try to do something about it." Seriously, are other countries needing to rebuild hospitals so that they can accomidate all of the 500 lb patents they get?

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Nice to see the OP still hates everyone who is not exactly like him. Pretty much covers the entire planet but that hey, some are destined to spend their life alone any way.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
what if someone wanted to take the step to get gastric bypass or something to lose the weight but couldn't get through the hospital door?

hospitals are businesses. they cater to their clients.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Banzai042
Funny how "chronic obesity that the patent can't do anything about" seems to be an exclusivly american phenomenon. Sure, genetics and such can have an impact on it, but there is something called "at least try to do something about it." Seriously, are other countries needing to rebuild hospitals so that they can accomidate all of the 500 lb patents they get?

QFT... get off the couch and twinkies god damn it!

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: loki8481
what if someone wanted to take the step to get gastric bypass or something to lose the weight but couldn't get through the hospital door?

hospitals are businesses. they cater to their clients.

I would think zendari would love this, after all, it's the free market.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
As to the topic, I think obesity is a problem as much as anybody else, but what makes this a unique medical condition? How many people are diabetic from drinking too much pop? Or how many people are experiencing a variety of health problems from drinking too much alcohol? How many people engage in dangerous sports that require them to visit the hospital? How many people simply ignore symptoms until their condition is much worse? How many smokers do hospitals have to deal with every year?

My point is this, obesity is certainly a problem, but it's hardly the only voluntary path people take that requires extra work for hospitals. As a person who takes care of himself, I kind of feel like kicking ALL the idiots out of the hospital so health care costs for people like myself are lower. But only for a moment, because I realize that that's not how a healthy (if you'll pardon the pun) society functions.

Edit: And I'll bet my next paycheck against a bent nickle that zendari engages in SOME sort of voluntary behavior that negativly impacts the rest of us. Maybe we should start a thread bitching about that...

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
I guess its no wonder hospital costs are increasing now that everything has to be supersized. It's unfortunate that our society is catering to the fatties and their lives of gluttony.

He made a mistake once, but since he didn't admit to it he still thinks he's perfect.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Hospitals are for caring for the ill - regardless of if their condition is self-induced or not.

But I think obese people should pay higher insurance premiums.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: alchemize
Hospitals are for caring for the ill - regardless of if their condition is self-induced or not.

LOL, of course you do. So should anybody who participates in sports, driving, drinking and sex. (Not necessarliy all at the same time)

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit

LOL, of course you do. So should anybody who participates in sports, driving, drinking and sex. (Not necessarliy all at the same time)

Makes sense. That's how life insurance is calculated. Not sure they factor sex into it yet... :D

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002

Makes sense. That's how life insurance is calculated. Not sure they factor sex into it yet... :D

The problem is health insurance isn't about sense, it's about cents.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000

So is life insurance ;)

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
He hates anyone that is not a perfectly conforming Republican.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

So make it about cents, and maybe couch potatoes will get some sense. The only thing that comes between a man and his fried cheese curds is his wallet.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002

So make it about cents, and maybe couch potatoes will get some sense. The only thing that comes between a man and his fried cheese curds is his wallet.

I think sense is more important then cents. If you want to single out groups then fine, let's start the insanity. Anybody who gets AIDS is on their own damit, anybody who fries their liver is own their own. If you've got bad genes in your family why should I have to pay for your aleriges/ailments/heart transplant/bypasses?? It's not my problem.

I could go on and on and on.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

I think sense is more important then cents. If you want to single out groups then fine, let's start the insanity. Anybody who gets AIDS is on their own damit, anybody who fries their liver is own their own. If you've got bad genes in your family why should I have to pay for your aleriges/ailments/heart transplant/bypasses?? It's not my problem.

Gotta start somewhere in improving the health of our nation, might as well start with the #1 (controllable) health issue - obesity. Wringing your liberal hands doesn't burn calories for anyone but yourself. Bankruptcy via gluttony, the American Way!

And yes, I would say that heavy drinkers should also pay higher premiums, as should smokers. Probably could stop the line drawing there, since that probably represents some huge portion of cost.

What's your solution for improving the obesity problem? Can't wait to hear this one...

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000

Gotta start somewhere in improving the health of our nation, might as well start with the #1 (controllable) health issue - obesity. Wringing your liberal hands doesn't burn calories for anyone but yourself. Bankruptcy via gluttony, the American Way!

And yes, I would say that heavy drinkers should also pay higher premiums, as should smokers. Probably could stop the line drawing there, since that probably represents some huge portion of cost.

What's your solution for improving the obesity problem? Can't wait to hear this one...

You know I would think that conservatives are on average more obese than liberals. What was the last time you saw a 400lb hippie? (No kennedy jokes plz:) )

I think economical pressure is a good way to do these kinda things - taxes on alkie, cigarettes work as a disincentive for those activities. We could tax strictly bad food (ranch dressing, sour cream, donuts etc) and add more pay-for-your-fat-ass rules a la Southwest airlines.

Luckyboy1

Mar 13, 2006

My multiple years of Emergency Medical service and training have led me to two absolute facts that are completely at opposites of each other...

1) There is absolutley NO scientific evidence based on 5 year, double and triple blind emperical studies, which are the standard in medicine by the way... no evidence that dieting leads to long term weight loss... none!

This means go on a diet today and in 5 years, you will weigh more. I know someone's going to say they beat the curve and that's interesting, but not scientifically usefull information.

The best theory as to why has to do with the starvation reflex. It all goes back to the caveman type thing. Game is plentyfull, so you feast and pack on a few pounds because your body needs a few pounds to ake it through the lean times. Diet sooner than the game runs out or the fields go empty and your body goes...

HHhhhmmm, next time, I'll pack on a few more pounds just to make sure we survive what seems to be a more frequent, if not severe famine!

It's not a hungry thing! It's as crazy as it sounds a starving thing. Clinically obese people feel like they are starving after what anyone else would call a very large feast! :shocked: Their gut twists like they haven't eaten in 3 days or more!

Ok, so by this scientific medical fact, you would be led to maybe assume it is all genetic or metabolic or decided not by higher thought processes?! Maybe, because...

2) Of the patients who have had gastric bypass operations, which are highly dangerous proceedures by the way even after all the pre-op testing... these patients, the ones who had good outcomes 5 years later are the ones who did it for medical considerations as their true primary motivating factor.

The rest who managed to eat their way out of the operation asked questions like...

Will I need a tummy tuck when I'm done?

Do you think I'll look like that model?

Etc! You get the idea!

Regardless of what they told the precert people at the Insurance Company and true enough, they have physical reasons enough and then some to qualify for the operation; they just don't hold things like...

Not having your brains running out your ears from the high blood pressure

Not having type 2 diabetes anymore and maybe not going blind from it or kidney failure and the list goes on and on.

Nope, that's not their first thought! Their first thought is cosmetic or social in nature. Fair enough, but there's the stats.

So the second part says mindset is the key!

So which is it?

I say we need whole lot more basic research. After all, it's only been the last 100 years that we have lived in a nutritionally dense environment, at least in the U.S. that is!

There's the science and saying it is a simple as getting your hind end off the couch won't cut it, so leave the moral indignation in the ditch where you found it please!

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Luckyboy: First, consider paragraphs

Second, you are right, it isn't as simple as getting your hind end off the couch. That's 1/2 the equation. The other half is changing what you eat. Exercising more and eating more leaves you just as fat.

Thirdly, I'm not morally indignant about obese people. I carried about 35 extra pounds at a point in my life (need to drop about 5-10 right now, winter packs it on).

And lastly - research is your answer to the problem?