Just an FYI... TP is out, hoarding meat is in.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Is it any wonder with so many meat processing facilities closing down their operations and laying off their employees that the next run i.e. hoarding frenzy will be of MEAT. And if you have a large freezer, better yet. And if you have a chest freezer even better because.... good luck on finding any chest freezer by the end of this week.
South Dakota, IOwa, Pennsylvania all have closed meat processing facilities due to the Coronavirus spread.
Soon every facility will find it necessary to close operations. Not only those processing pork, but eventually plants processing all meats.
So....
Say hello to vegetarian world, or... buy a farm and raise it yourself.
WHICH... by the way, just may be the only way to survive this pandemic.
If you know a farmer, befriend him. If you can buy a farm, do it. And you might want to hire an armed guard to protect your meat and vegetables grown on your farm.
Just when you think it can't get any worse.... it just did.

One of the largest pork processing facilities in the US is closing until further notice

Last edited:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
The supply chain breaking down is why government forecasts of an EMP attack, suggested 9 out of 10 Americans would die.

Now this isn't as bad as an EMP attack, but one can see the value and the lives at stake if our store shelves go empty as a result of... anything. Society can be peeled back in layers, like an onion. But once you get started it sort of peels itself. Leading us to a fairly similar result. It may sound alarmist, but these are alarming times - and the supply chain is _everything_. We must protect it at all costs, and I am not convinced there is any leadership in this country with that goal in mind.

Truckers are finding it difficult to transport goods with their service stops shut down. Meat producers are shutting down one by one. Shit really is beginning to hit the fan. Direct intervention can stop this onion from peeling further, but I suspect no one is steering this ship. America is listless in the wind, and rocks are dead ahead.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
MD and PA truck stops still open for now. Guess I better stock up on some meat this week. I haven't seen chicken in stores like Costco or BJ's for weeks. Beef remaining is usually expensive cuts or large hunks. I go to Wegmans now

Last edited:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Makes no sense to close such facilities.

They are closing themselves because their workers are sick and they are spreading the virus.

Now even if the business could still technically stay open, hire temp workers, etc. One word. Liability.

Their lawyers are probably shutting them down to avoid being sued for wrongful deaths.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
They are closing themselves because their workers are sick and they are spreading the virus.

Now even if the business could still technically stay open, hire temp workers, etc. One word. Liability.

Their lawyers are probably shutting them down to avoid being sued for wrongful deaths.

People need to eat. Renders those concerns moot, they should be forced to remain open. Perhaps certain supplies should be provided and/or suspension of Liability should be offered.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I just got 1/4 beef, and it was dirt cheap from the local meat butcher. A friend raises belted Galloways, and butchered a couple. Around here (Wisconsin) they are dumping their milk, and beef is super cheap if you cut up your own. The beef and dairy in stores is expensive. I'm keeping my beef to myself just incase.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Wouldn't the cooking process kill any virus transmitted to the meat? Or are we just talking about workers. They are going to need PPE.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I just got 1/4 beef, and it was dirt cheap from the local meat butcher. A friend raises belted Galloways, and butchered a couple. Around here (Wisconsin) they are dumping their milk, and beef is super cheap if you cut up your own. The beef and dairy in stores is expensive. I'm keeping my beef to myself just incase.
Did they cut up the 1/4 or did you have to do it?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I just got....

So... the reason our stores have had empty shelves thus far has been disruptions / increases in demand. People not eating at restaurants or otherwise catered to need that much extra food from the store. Consumer VS Business supply side distribution. Some hoarding behavior, but mostly just a general imbalance. Supplies still coming in.

In the following weeks, it may become an actual supply issue.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Did they cut up the 1/4 or did you have to do it?

They wrap and quick freeze it for you. You can select the lb sizes of your hamburger packs and steak thicknesses etc. Most people don't know that if you call your local meat processing place you can put in orders for 1/4 to a whole cow cut and wrapped how you want it. They either do it routinely to sell themselves, or they know farmers that have beef/pigs ready to slaughter. At least that's how we do it around hear.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
My assumptions on why they choose to shut down are based on them trying to protect their workers.
This.
Meat processing plants are huge. Smithfield is closing down one if it's largest plants. 3500 workers

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Story on CNN last night how farms are mulching up crops still in the ground because they can’t sell it. Apparently it’s because a small window to harvest it to then grow next crop. Sad cost to harvest and ship even if they were to donate the foods is too high.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Eating animials is what got us in the mess to begin with. All these new diseases we're seeing come from animals and 7.8 billion people on this earth and growing think they need meat (and animal products) to survive. Hell, most our major health problems come from animal product consumption. They also contribute greatly to climate change. Covid-19 is a sign of things to come and we would do well to heed the warning.

What scares me is the fact that most the worlds anti-biotics go to otherwise healthy animals. One day we will have a drug resistant super bug that makes covid-19 look like allergies in comparison.

This is just something to think about going forward. Humans and the planet would be better off if we depended less on animal products.

Reactions: Thump553

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Damn, I finally found a can of regular SPAM on the shelf for the first time last week. Plenty of turkey SPAM though.

• Haha
Reactions: Lanyap

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Meanwhile, Lean Hogs futures are at 52 week low. It has dropped like a rock the past month. Farmers will be hurt by this because they can't sell their animals to be processed. And they still have to feed the animals. And the ones lucky enough to sell their pigs aren't getting crap for it.

https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/commodities/he

If you're looking for meat, check out Restaurant Depot and Costco Business Center. RD is now open to the public because of COVID-19 killed the restaurant business. Both places have plenty of chicken, pork, and beef but you have to buy by the case for the chicken. Chicken wings prices are down like $1 /lb over last year because restaurant are not buying much wings.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Meanwhile, Lean Hogs futures are at 52 week low. It has dropped like a rock the past month. Farmers will be hurt by this because they can't sell their animals to be processed. And they still have to feed the animals. And the ones lucky enough to sell their pigs aren't getting crap for it.

https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/commodities/he

If you're looking for meat, check out Restaurant Depot and Costco Business Center. RD is now open to the public because of COVID-19 killed the restaurant business. Both places have plenty of chicken, pork, and beef but you have to buy by the case for the chicken. Chicken wings prices are down like $1 /lb over last year because restaurant are not buying much wings.

there's a local restaurant supply house near me..wondering if i should hit them up for food instead of the grocery store. they do sell to the public as well.