Just an FYI... TP is out, hoarding meat is in.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Meanwhile, Lean Hogs futures are at 52 week low. It has dropped like a rock the past month. Farmers will be hurt by this because they can't sell their animals to be processed. And they still have to feed the animals. And the ones lucky enough to sell their pigs aren't getting crap for it.

https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/commodities/he

If you're looking for meat, check out Restaurant Depot and Costco Business Center. RD is now open to the public because of COVID-19 killed the restaurant business. Both places have plenty of chicken, pork, and beef but you have to buy by the case for the chicken. Chicken wings prices are down like $1 /lb over last year because restaurant are not buying much wings.
Wings a buck a pound? Damn I wish I had an extra freezer. It sucks cause out here Fosters came out with the pre-fried wings that you bake in the oven with four different sauces Korean BBC, Chipole BBQ, Thai Chili, and Buffalo. Tried all of them except the Buffalo as it's my least favorite wing flavor. They are awesome. Anyway to make a short story long, last trip to Costco, they only had the Buffalo. :(

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
there's a local restaurant supply house near me..wondering if i should hit them up for food instead of the grocery store. they do sell to the public as well.
If you have some friends, it's easy to split and share. But prices are not that much better than regular Costco or Sam's. The only good deal right now are the chicken wings but you have to buy by the case. Case is 40 lbs.

Wings a buck a pound? Damn I wish I had an extra freezer. It sucks cause out here Fosters came out with the pre-fried wings that you bake in the oven with four different sauces Korean BBC, Chipole BBQ, Thai Chili, and Buffalo. Tried all of them except the Buffalo as it's my least favorite wing flavor. They are awesome. Anyway to make a short story long, last trip to Costco, they only had the Buffalo. :(
No, wings are $1 /lb cheaper than this time last year. So that means around $1.69 /lb for jumbo chicken wings.

If you're the type to buy pre-fried wings, this is not for you. These are fresh, unfrozen wings in 40 lb box.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
If you have some friends, it's easy to split and share. But prices are not that much better than regular Costco or Sam's. The only good deal right now are the chicken wings but you have to buy by the case. Case is 40 lbs.

No, wings are $1 /lb cheaper than this time last year. So that means around $1.69 /lb for jumbo chicken wings.

If you're the type to buy pre-fried wings, this is not for you. These are fresh, unfrozen wings in 40 lb box.
Oh I know what to do with the real things too.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Wife's friend from vet school specializes in pigs, and works for the USDA. Lots of pigs went to the restaraunts, so demand went down very fast. He's had farmers unable to get rid of their pigs, so some are calling and asking him questions like "how do I kill 1,000 pigs all at once?" and things like that. I'm sure if you knew how to slaughter your own and cut and wrap it you'd be able to find it very cheap right now.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
This is why Asians were buying multiple 10 pound bags of rice and beans/lentils/daals when this started a month ago. Get out ahead of average Americans getting wise to these starches and proteins that don’t require refrigeration.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
They wrap and quick freeze it for you. You can select the lb sizes of your hamburger packs and steak thicknesses etc. Most people don't know that if you call your local meat processing place you can put in orders for 1/4 to a whole cow cut and wrapped how you want it. They either do it routinely to sell themselves, or they know farmers that have beef/pigs ready to slaughter. At least that's how we do it around hear.
How do you find such a place? I know there are a ton of processors around here, but not sure how to find one that deals retail.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
we picked up some meat last weekend for cheap from a supplier for the greenville sc school system as the school district cancelled all orders and they had a surplus.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I see my freezers both jam-packed. But it will only last so long.

I have MANY cans of Rosarita Frijoles, but I want some meat in my tacos . . . .

I've got to live long enough to see Trump in the grave. If I can make it to there, I'll travel to his grave with a sledge hammer, a wooden stake, a full bladder and colon.

And leave with an empty, happy feeling, knowing that I personally created a pile of little pebbles where there had previously been a large headstone.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
I see my freezers both jam-packed. But it will only last so long.

I have MANY cans of Rosarita Frijoles, but I want some meat in my tacos . . . .

I've got to live long enough to see Trump in the grave. If I can make it to there, I'll travel to his grave with a sledge hammer, a wooden stake, a full bladder and colon.

And leave with an empty, happy feeling, knowing that I personally created a pile of little pebbles where there had previously been a large headstone.

We've done about the same.....freezers jammed with beef, chicken, pork. Can live out of the freezer for a few months if we have to.

What I'm actually more concerned about is pet food. We've only got 1.5 months of dog and cat food stocked away right now. Won't be satisfied until we're about 2-3 months ahead.

Nov 17, 2019
Soon every facility will find it necessary to close operations. Not only those processing pork, but eventually plants processing all meats.
So....
Say hello to vegetarian world, or... buy a farm and raise it yourself.
WHICH... by the way, just may be the only way to survive this pandemic.
If you know a farmer, befriend him. If you can buy a farm, do it. And you might want to hire an armed guard to protect your meat and vegetables grown on your farm.
Just when you think it can't get any worse.... it just did.
Apparently you're not suffering from a shortage of panic and fear mongering though.

Reactions: Zorba

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
This is why Asians were buying multiple 10 pound bags of rice and beans/lentils/daals when this started a month ago. Get out ahead of average Americans getting wise to these starches and proteins that don’t require refrigeration.

Yup. Rice and beans are the go to. get 'em while you can.

Dec 10, 2005
there's a local restaurant supply house near me..wondering if i should hit them up for food instead of the grocery store. they do sell to the public as well.
I've been seeing US Food and Sysco products moving into the retail supply chain at my local grocery store. Want a paint bucket sized can of garbanzo beans?

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Yup. Rice and beans are the go to. get 'em while you can.
There's no shortage of rice and beans. Stocking up now is pretty dumb when prices are really high due to the panic. I bought eight 50 lb bags of short grain sushi rice for $20 each at Costco before the panic. Now smaller 40 lb bag of short grain sushi rice is close to $40 at Costco. Wholesale prices have gone up lot on rice. If you're out of rice and need to buy because you eat it all time, then buy. But if you're going to buy to hoard when you have rice is dumb since this is likely the peak price right now.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
There's no shortage of rice and beans. Stocking up now is pretty dumb when prices are really high due to the panic. I bought eight 50 lb bags of short grain sushi rice for $20 each at Costco before the panic. Now smaller 40 lb bag of short grain sushi rice is close to $40 at Costco. Wholesale prices have gone up lot on rice. If you're out of rice and need to buy because you eat it all time, then buy. But if you're going to buy to hoard when you have rice is dumb since this is likely the peak price right now.

Thanks for your input. Rice prices haven't changed in my area.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I'm going to make a huge pressure cooker full of split pea soup with the leftover Easter ham bone. I suspect my wife will love me for the next week at least. Who wants to eat rice and beans for months on end anyway? Stock up on reduced priced Easter candy while you can get it, Peeps are better when they are a bit crunchy anyway.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
A country that is now in deep shit, but people have less to drop in the pot. When the smoked ham shanks can't be found for your bean soup, I can see people looking up Vietnamese recipes for dog. You then won't need to find any pet food . . .

Well, there's food for pets, and pets for food, I guess . . .

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
There was a time when the city folks drove out to the country and bought eggs and vegetables, chicken, etc etc from a farmer. Many farmers sold to the public. For some, this could again be an option in the near future.

And the meals, during the depression food had to be stretched as far as possible so many cheap meals were invented. Beans and ham, stews, soups from potatoes, potato cakes from leftovers, those depression people were quite creative. And hungry.

I don't want the job of Debbie Downer, but considering THIS PRESIDENT, one must stay ahead of the game. ALWAYS ENVISION THE WORST just in case. And with this president, far too many "just in case" scenarios have became reality. So... watch your ass.

Thus far we continue to survive, but all it would take is one more screwup from this president or vice president to send us all over the cliff. For example, one more screwup from an insane president more concerned with his legacy than doing the safe smart thing. An insane president that reopens everything back up and then the nightmare worse case scenario comes true. Millions infected, hundreds of thousands dead. HOW do you think the grocery stores will keep their shelves stocked THEN? Or, will the truckers even truck? Now we are faced with a few meat processing plants shutting down due to the virus, but what if all the processing plants were forced to shut down? Not only the meat processing plants but all food processing plants? For example, GENERAL MILLS? Where will your kids get their Cheerios?
Like I said, watch your ass!!!
Donald Trump demands that you die for him.
Just like Jim Jones.

Donald Trump is about to make not the biggest decision of his life, but the worst decision of his life. And, of your life.
If Donald Trump has his way, the 1929 depression will seem like a little inconvenience. Never underestimate this president nor any republican's ability to bring the country crumbling down. The have done it in the past, and they can do it again. However, this time they have just what they need, what Donald Trump needs.... THE PERFECT STORM OF DESTRUCTION.
Donald Trump can bring down our entire economy, destroy our ability to provide any healthcare, dead bodies stacked in parking lots, hospitals empty because every nurse and doctor among the dead, starving people, bankrupt banks, and that's just the first month.
So... watch your ass.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
How do you find such a place? I know there are a ton of processors around here, but not sure how to find one that deals retail.

I would *assume if a processing place has retail meat for sale, they could also hook someone up with a butcher or another processor that does whole animals for such a purpose. Around here we have a lot of big game processing businesses that do beef and pork the rest of the year instead of deer. I am fairly rural though, not sure you could find that in an urban area unless you drove out of town for a small butcher shop.