Just a thought (Regarding AMD vs Intel CPUs) and Benchmarks

undeclared

Oct 24, 2005
Hello

Just a thought here, but aren't there quite a bit of benchmarks that will fit 100% in the cache of a core 2 duo, and will only fit half-way or less into an AMD x2 or Opty?

And if so, won't that give it a 20% advantage in speed at least?

I'm not saying C2D's aren't faster than X2s, but I think this is an important consideration when you look at benchmarks (and why AMD really needs to add bigger caches!)

coldpower27

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2004
Originally posted by: xtwells
Hello

Just a thought here, but aren't there quite a bit of benchmarks that will fit 100% in the cache of a core 2 duo, and will only fit half-way or less into an AMD x2 or Opty?

And if so, won't that give it a 20% advantage in speed at least?

I'm not saying C2D's aren't faster than X2s, but I think this is an important consideration when you look at benchmarks (and why AMD really needs to add bigger caches!)

It's not our problem that AMD isn't able to throw bigger caches onto it's processors, that it's fault due to whatever design decisions it made.

JustaGeek

Platinum Member
Jan 27, 2007
From what I've learned, AMD CPU's are not as cache dependent as Intel CPU's, due to the memory controller being built into the processor.

Tha fact that they are slower is the architecture of the processor itself, not just the amount of cache.

Diogenes2

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2001
Originally posted by: JustaGeek
From what I've learned, AMD CPU's are not as cache dependent as Intel CPU's, due to the memory controller being built into the processor.

Tha fact that they are slower is the architecture of the processor itself, not just the amount of cache.

In the same sense K8 was superior ( more efficient ) to P4 ..

That said; programs and benchmarks can be written to run more efficiently on one architecture as opposed to the other ..

coldpower27

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2004
Originally posted by: xtwells
My point: if an entire benchmark can fit into the cache, will it not run faster?

The more data you have closer to the processor the better is what I will say, different applications benefit in varying degrees.