Just a few shots from AmigaOS 4.1

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
With WinUAE 3.3.0 officially released, the PowerPC emulation is more capable than before with support for higher resolutions among other things. While it's nowhere near as usable as a real AmigaOne system (being limited to 384MB RAM and no 3D acceleration), you can get a taste of the OS for cheap. I installed the latest version AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition (version 4.2 is currently in development) and took it for a spin.

VQy5fVy.jpg

Odyssey is the most capable browser. It's WebKit based and supports CSS and Javascript. It's painfully slow under emulation, but can display pages like Facebook, Gmail and even Youtube.

7YFtCoH.jpg

NetSurf is more lightweight, but only supports CSS, no Javascript. It's very fast under emulation. Amazingly, it's also available for AmigaOS 3.x from the 90's.

mLiTiW3.jpg

Cinnamon Writer WIP supports DocX etc.

SsiaQ6W.jpg

Not a wasteland - daily uploads.

vcLc89X.jpg

Tabbed Shell, and many, many added features not shown here

VZRZAR4.jpg

While the OS features hardware compositing and 3D acceleration on supported hardware, it can't be emulated. Still, non-3D games like Amiga Racer work fine under emulation.

1lNmsju.jpg

Some miscellaneous tools and utilities open. It's essentially emulating an Amiga 4000 with the CyberStorm and CyberVision - pretty much the most expensive Amiga you could buy in 1997.

Still undecided on whether I'll plonk down the money for actual 4.1 capable hardware, but it's fun to play around with alternative operating systems, and especially the decendent of the OS I grew up with.

Last edited:

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Hmm, never knew they were still tinkering away with it.
Thanks for the info!

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Wow that brings back good memories, not the new os but Amiga. I still have my accelerated 500 with a GVP addon HD and ram that i fire up and play an old game once and awhile.