"Just 7% Favor Fed Bailout for Financial Firms"

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: senseamp
Because you cannot consume more than you produce indefinitely. We are borrowing money to do so, at some point we will only be able to repay it by printing a lot of money, our foreign lenders will cut us off, and sh!t will really hit the fan. Hello stagflation. The government is now creating implicit guarantees for all kinds of debts that it has no business guaranteeing.

So, your solution is to let everything fail, throw the whole world into depression, because we can't fix our own system with brains rather than brawn?

So, you're nothing more than a smash 'em mongoloid pissed off at your own inability to reason through the problem and affect change?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
Because you cannot consume more than you produce indefinitely. We are borrowing money to do so, at some point we will only be able to repay it by printing a lot of money, our foreign lenders will cut us off, and sh!t will really hit the fan. Hello stagflation. The government is now creating implicit guarantees for all kinds of debts that it has no business guaranteeing.

So, your solution is to let everything fail, throw the whole world into depression, because we can't fix our own system with brains rather than brawn?

So, you're nothing more than a smash 'em mongoloid pissed off at your own inability to reason through the problem and affect change?

In the San Francisco zoo I remember a chimp that used to throw his own shit at people. Apparently it's a common primate phenomenon.

ranmaniac

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
It's fat too complex for the public to divide $700B/300M and realize that they are getting hosed almost $2K per every man, woman and child to bail out poorly ran banks and allow others to profiteer, at the same time while we have people who cannot afford health insurance to protect their health. Talk about priorities.

Please, this problem is far more complex than taking two numbers and dividing.

The public thinks this is a bailout of the banks, yet they don't realize it's a bailout of my criminal friends on Wall Street.

corrected

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: Skoorb
The general public has absolutely no place opining on this matter.

It's far too complex for them, and no I'm not kidding.

I'm sure England said the same thing to the Colonists over 225 years ago too.

You're proof that most individuals don't understand the complexity of our economy and the situation.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006

You are not fixing the system. You are simply adding taxpayer money to a broken system.
What is broken is that we are spending more than we make.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001

You are not fixing the system. You are simply adding taxpayer money to a broken system.

You are maintaining the system until what broke it can be fixed.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: ranmaniac
It's fat too complex for the public to divide $700B/300M and realize that they are getting hosed almost $2K per every man, woman and child to bail out poorly ran banks and allow others to profiteer, at the same time while we have people who cannot afford health insurance to protect their health. Talk about priorities.

Please, this problem is far more complex than taking two numbers and dividing.

The public thinks this is a bailout of the banks, yet they don't realize it's a bailout of my criminal friends on Wall Street.

corrected

yeah, that's it. It has nothing to do with the general economy. If banks fail it won't have any consequence for the general economy.

I forgot, it was the fact that individual companies were flush with cash in 1930, but banks that werent. The companies just fired people for the hell of it.

bamx2

Oct 25, 2004
I agree .A depression will happen sooner or later without fundamental changes I the way people / gov't deals with finances . Bailouts merely postpone it .

"You are not fixing the system. You are simply adding taxpayer money to a broken system.
What is broken is that we are spending more than we make. "

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006

That's like saying you are helping someone who can't pay their credit card bills by extending their credit line so they can rack up more debt for another year. Simply delaying the inevitable and making the reckoning even worse.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

..and part of the reason we are spending more than we make in this case is due to a history of deregulation. That's the problem. We fucked ourselves and now we are forced to pay for it by choosing the lesser of two evils (bailouts). Just start praying that they also fix the regulations along with it because there is nothing else you can do to help yourself or others.

Step 1: Stop the bleeding
Step 2: Stitch the wound

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Originally posted by: Xavier434
..and part of the reason we are spending more than we make in this case is due to a history of deregulation. That's the problem. We fucked ourselves and now we are forced to pay for it by choosing the lesser of two evils (bailouts). Just start praying that they also fix the regulations along with it because there is nothing else you can do to help yourself or others.

Ummmm........ not spend as much? The bad products would dry up and go away if people would just stop buying them. Do we REALLY need to be protected from ourselves?

Dec 26, 2007
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Probably a similar number can't see that Obama is our only hope.

The founding fathers took government out of the direct hands of the people for this very reason. Ordinary people, good at deciding what to have for breakfast for themselves, and what color pair of pants they'd like to wear, haven't the faintest idea what is good for them, much less do with any precision, a complicated economic analysis of the US economy.

Of course there are always among the population a percentage of folk who like to fantasize they actually can do these things and that their conclusions, rather than the opinions of elite and experienced thinkers, should be the rule of the day, and so we, who frequent forums, for example, get to hear them squeak about how unjust everything is and how nobody ever listens to them. They like to buttress this sentiment by usurping public opinion as if they represented in and it had some holy, mystical, and innate wisdom rather than the collective chicken scratch of hens.

You sir have officially been put in the political nutcase folder.

I have suspected it from the moment I saw your posts in here, but now it's confirmed you have no clue what you are talking about other then "omg jizz my pants it's Obamassiah"

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: sactoking

Ummmm........ not spend as much? The bad products would dry up and go away if people would just stop buying them. Do we REALLY need to be protected from ourselves?

It worked before. They deregulated thinking exactly what you are thinking now and look where it got us. So yes, it looks like we do need to be protected to a degree and we need to do it properly. At the very least, we need the general public to be protected. You and I might not need it but that does not stop too many other asshats from screwing things up and it hurting us in the end one way or another.

From another thread:

There was a time when we regulated much better than we do now. This problem goes way back to the 80s. Possibly even a bit earlier. I would like to see us return to a proper form of regulation. If we manage to do that, then I am willing to let the bailouts slide. Unfortunately, none of us can look into the future to find out if that will happen.

Savings and Loan Crisis

Some have tried to fix S&Ls before and now look where we are. Be careful who you trust:

Keating Five

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
The sad part about this whole thing is that it is showing the public how little control they really have if Washington wants to do something.
If this bill is passed without Washington even listening to the public outcry about it then it is going to send a clear signal that the people are not in control anymore.
Something as serious as this bill needs to be discussed and not rushed through congress without anyone thinking about the message it sends.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: extra
7. A small segment of idealistic dreamers and loons with help the disaster come by wasting their vote on some third party

Ahh, so if you vote on principal and vote for someone you like who happens to be a member of a third party you are a loon? K. . .

I'm 99% sure I will be voting for Obama, but please...get over yourself. The democrats aren't the saviors of mankind and neither is Obama. He is, however, the best realistic hope at this point for getting the country back on track... That does not make you a loon if you don't like him and want to vote for a third party. It doesn't make you an idealistic dreamer, either. It just means you have different ideas and principles.

You are a nice person and very kind, if blind. The fact that we have a disaster as a result of Republican rule means we have to deal with that disaster. You, Sir, are in a sinking ship arguing that those who don't bail have every right to sit on their asses and do nothing. Every intelligent and thinking person has to vote to get rid of the vermin eating the hull and bring in a shipwright for repair.

Dec 26, 2007
7. A small segment of idealistic dreamers and loons with help the disaster come by wasting their vote on some third party

Ahh, so if you vote on principal and vote for someone you like who happens to be a member of a third party you are a loon? K. . .

I'm 99% sure I will be voting for Obama, but please...get over yourself. The democrats aren't the saviors of mankind and neither is Obama. He is, however, the best realistic hope at this point for getting the country back on track... That does not make you a loon if you don't like him and want to vote for a third party. It doesn't make you an idealistic dreamer, either. It just means you have different ideas and principles.

You are a nice person and very kind, if blind. The fact that we have a disaster as a result of Republican rule means we have to deal with that disaster. You, Sir, are in a sinking ship arguing that those who don't bail have every right to sit on their asses and do nothing. Every intelligent and thinking person has to vote to get rid of the vermin eating the hull and bring in a shipwright for repair.

Oh you mean somebody like Obama? My guess is he has as much qualifications to be a shipwright as he does being POTUS....

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
You and I might not need it but that does not stop too many other asshats from screwing things up and it hurting us in the end one way or another.

:thumbsup: I don't know if more truthful words were ever uttered on Anandtech. (not sarcasm)

I really hate stupid people....

Edited for clarity of thought.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: bamacre
BigDH: What do you expect?
--------------------

The answer couldn't possibly be more obvious to any intelligent mind, in my opinion.

1. The Republicans held 3 branches of government

2. The brought us unprecedented disasters

3. Only a Democrat or a Republican will win the coming election.

4. A Democrat with a Democratic congress could be elected and bring change

5. Therefore, all rational, thinking, patriotic minds will be voting for Obama

6. People with more than average self-hate will be voting for more disaster because they feel they deserve it and so do their kids

#4 is wrong, and thus, so is #5.

#6 is stupid, so is #7.

4 is absolutely correct and therefore so is 5

6 is beyond your pay grade to comprehend and 7 your blind to by bigotry

4 is absolutely incorrect for reasons "beyond your pay grade to comprehend."

The case you made for your counter, however, was top notch, full of profound analysis and deep reasoning.

I've pleaded my case to you plenty of times. Why bother to continue? All you do is reply back with nonsensical analogies involving turds and toilets.

I'd be curious as to your explanation why people fuck themselves in the ass. Because they actually hate themselves makes a lot of sense to me disregarding for a second the fact that I actually know it.

I'm sure you know it, and well. Because you Obama and McCain voters are living it.

Turds and toilets are the natural extensions of your posts.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: DisgruntledVirus
Probably a similar number can't see that Obama is our only hope.

The founding fathers took government out of the direct hands of the people for this very reason. Ordinary people, good at deciding what to have for breakfast for themselves, and what color pair of pants they'd like to wear, haven't the faintest idea what is good for them, much less do with any precision, a complicated economic analysis of the US economy.

Of course there are always among the population a percentage of folk who like to fantasize they actually can do these things and that their conclusions, rather than the opinions of elite and experienced thinkers, should be the rule of the day, and so we, who frequent forums, for example, get to hear them squeak about how unjust everything is and how nobody ever listens to them. They like to buttress this sentiment by usurping public opinion as if they represented in and it had some holy, mystical, and innate wisdom rather than the collective chicken scratch of hens.

You sir have officially been put in the political nutcase folder.

I have suspected it from the moment I saw your posts in here, but now it's confirmed you have no clue what you are talking about other then "omg jizz my pants it's Obamassiah"
And you belong in the brain dead traitor folder. I suspected as much when I saw you are a disgruntled virus. You haven't a clue who has a clue. You're the source of diarrhea.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: DisgruntledVirus

Oh you mean somebody like Obama? My guess is he has as much qualifications to be a shipwright as he does being POTUS....

Virus of very little brain, what you suspect and what is or may be may be very different matters. All you offer is opinion and no reasoning or logic. Only Obama will have the same party in congress to which he belongs and therefore only he will have any change of doing anything bold. Doesn't mean he will, my dear fool, but only he would have any chance. A possible shipwright in a storm is preferable than a lead balloon but you wouldn't understand that because you are a bigot who can't think. You KNOW in your stupid uninformed brainwashed little mind Obama's NO GOOD. Sheep like you wind up keeping smart people warm.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

That's like saying you are helping someone who can't pay their credit card bills by extending their credit line so they can rack up more debt for another year. Simply delaying the inevitable and making the reckoning even worse.

It's worse than that. We're borrowing from loan sharks to pay off credit cards.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Looks like the smart money is catching on to the dollar scam.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/...BHEzyX6N2Rk&refer=home
Dollar, Stocks, Bonds Fall on Concern Bailout to Boost Deficit

By Ye Xie and Daniel Kruger

Sept. 22 (Bloomberg) -- The dollar fell the most against the euro since the currency's 1999 debut, while U.S. stocks and bonds tumbled, on concern the U.S. proposal to rescue banks from the subprime-mortgage crisis will inflate the budget deficit.
Dollar's Losses

The dollar has lost more than 6 percent versus the euro since touching a one-year high of $1.3882 on Sept. 11. The dollar reached $1.6038 on July 15, the weakest level since the European currency's 1999 debut.

``Fundamentally speaking, nothing is supporting the dollar,'' said Tom Sowanick, who helps manage $10 billion as chief investment officer at Clearbrook Financial LLC in Princeton, New Jersey. ``Why should foreign investors continue to support the U.S. financial system?''

Very good question indeed. You can't borrow your way out of too much debt.

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Skoorb
If we let them fail what do you think will happen to the economy? Honestly answer this and tell me if you think 2K/person is cheaper than 30% unemployment(The last time the banks failed).
If you or anybody could make that argument convincingly, then it would be an easy answer, wouldn't it? There is no assurance that not spending the money would result in economic catastrophe, just as there is no assurance that spending it will avert it.

I can offer you an assurance opposing 1 of the 2 above.

Would not spending the money result in economic catastrophe? Probably.

Will spending the money avert it? I can assure you it will not. In fact, it will ENSURE economic catastrophe. Really it goes beyond economic catastrophe. It ensures the end of the U.S. as a sovereign entity, and a return to the barter system.