Just 18% approve of job Congress is doing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Hacp
Looks like the Republicans are on their last throes.

Thanks for a great late afternoon laugh :laugh:

So many people are dissatisfied with the Republican schemes and filibustering. The Republicans are weak on terror, weak on Iraq, weak on health care. They don't stand a chance next year.

Yeah, because Congress' approval rating is a lock-in for a Democrat! :laugh:

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Pabster

So many people are dissatisfied with the Republican schemes and filibustering. The Republicans are weak on terror, weak on Iraq, weak on health care. They don't stand a chance next year.

Keep cling to that. Do you really think that approval ratings matter for congress. Democrats don't approve because they don't have enough seats to do anything and republicans don't approve because when there are democrats in congress.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon
linkyGeez, Bush is doing way better than Congress...

This is a gift to the Republicans, as weakness in Congress threatens the party in power (Democrats) more than those in the minority.

Hairy Reed and BugEyed Pelosi have run the congress into a mudhole. They have alienated their own base.

The immigration "reform" bill was a unmitigated disaster (which they tried to lay off on Bush..hah, that really worked out well), and they sign off on the Patriort Bill, while simultaneously denouncing it, Gonzales and Bush...a bit duplicitous wouldn't you say?

they can't hide from their actions now, and the public is taking notice.

Looks like the Republicans are on their last throes. So many people are dissatisfied with the Republican schemes and filibustering. The Republicans are weak on terror, weak on Iraq, weak on health care. They don't stand a chance next year.

I'd say that the odds for the Dems making progress in Congress are good, however the Dems seem to continually underestimate the Reps when it comes to Presidential elections. In the Cheney vs Edwards debate it was widely assumed by many Dems that Edwards would thrash Cheney. Not so. Bush somehow got reelected mainly by assuming he was so weak that even Kerry could win. He could not.

Depending on who the Dems and the Reps front, the Reps have a very very good chance at winning.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006

Congressional approval rating is utterly irrelevant because :

CONGRESS ALWAYS SUCKS AS A WHOLE

I can guarantee only one thing come the next inauguration :

We'll have another cretin in the Presidency.

Too bad we couldn't get someone with some personal conviction and integrity like Hagel. We'll have to suffer the asinine humiliation of having :

Guiliani?
Clinton?
etc?

As the President of the most powerful nation in history. At least they probably won't be as bad as Bush, but Guiliani might well succeed in that if heaven forbid, he gets elected.

I still can't fathom, how in a shining nation of 300+ MILLION people, we always puke up the worst people imaginable to be President.

I'd vote for Charles Manson ahead of Bush or Guiliani or Clinton or Kerry. F em all.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

This is a gift to the Republicans, as weakness in Congress threatens the party in power (Democrats) more than those in the minority.

Hairy Reed and BugEyed Pelosi have run the congress into a mudhole. They have alienated their own base.

The immigration "reform" bill was a unmitigated disaster (which they tried to lay off on Bush..hah, that really worked out well), and they sign off on the Patriort Bill, while simultaneously denouncing it, Gonzales and Bush...a bit duplicitous wouldn't you say?

Looks like the Republicans are on their last throes. So many people are dissatisfied with the Republican schemes and filibustering. The Republicans are weak on terror, weak on Iraq, weak on health care. They don't stand a chance next year.

Yeah the Dems arent floundering at all. Strong as ever.

/sarcasm off

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: blackangst1

/sarcasm off

Have you been following the housing/lending meltdown? Expect a massive backlash when so many Americans will find themselves unable to get a loan to buy a home.

I hate that so many opportunists bought so many homes as investments, driving up the cost of real estate and straining the banking systems. Increasing the cost of home ownership only hurts our economy long-term.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006

HMMMM? Wishful thinking on your part? Grasping at straws seems to be the theme of most of your topics.

P. S. Take a lesson from Rove, jump the sinking ship of state.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I find it totally unbelievable that the democratic alienated base would embrace republicans as an alternative to congressional gridlock come 11/2008. With fantasies like that the GOP is really setting itself up for a real dope slap as alienated democrats come out in droves to make sure GOP candidates become endangered species and can't again continue their gridlocking ways.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: smack Down

Keep cling to that. Do you really think that approval ratings matter for congress. Democrats don't approve because they don't have enough seats to do anything and republicans don't approve because when there are democrats in congress.

I don't think people will take their opinions of a body as a whole and apply it to their individual congressmen but they will take their opinions of this administration and (to a certain degree) apply it to the GOP. They were the ones in total control for 6 years.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Typically it is true that the sitting administration is blamed for everything the Congress Does, and anything that happens with the economy. People will continue to drive around in their mini vans and the Ford Excursions and wonder why the price of gasoline is on the rise.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Hayabusa Rider
Originally posted by: thepd7
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk
As I recall, there are at least 5 Republicans in office who have announced that they WILL NOT, seek re-election in 2008.

They are seeking their own personal damage control from Bush, and know that they most likely will fail if they do run.

There are also several GOP members who are investigating if they would have a better chance to serve if they change
their affiliation from GOP to Independant, or even to Democrats, so as to further distance themselves from the Albatross of Conservative Polatics.

If the 2008 elections do fully swing into the Democrat electorate, Executive, and the Congress gets a large enough
majority of Democrats in both houses, it may be the death knell for GOP Conservative Politics, as one of the biggest failures in policies
of all times, in as much as what they attempted to do was reject the public that had placed them in office,
and attempt to force morality on the entire country while stealing the countries coffers blind for their own immoral gains.

As a conservative I would love to see a Democratic house, senate, and president for 4 years if not 8. No more excuses. Put up or shut up. It's obvious that things aren't perfect in the government right now, but I want to see the democrats actually put in place real plans to makes things better. What's the worst they could do? Raise taxes (probably good for us after a lot of tax cuts) and what else? If they actually reformed anything I would be shocked. I say 8 years becuase I have a strong feeling that after 4 years the excuse would be that it wasn't enough time becuase GWB screwed everything up so bad.

I am tired of excuses on both sides. It's time for someone to take action and I believe that the democrats have the best chance of actually making that happen (notice I said chance, not likelyhood). Maybe someone will finally do something good for the US, but trust me I am not holding my breath.

Almost exactly how I feel. There hasn't been a conservative that gave a crap about the Constitution in decades or so it seems, and in my mind you cannot be for the conservation of freedom and not actively support it. I think the reason that Conservatives are so despised here is that they are so rare, but there are many wolves wearing the skins of them.

Both conservatives (not necons) and liberals have some good ideas and some absolutely awful ones. It seems best to chose what works for the people of our country and ignore who thought of them.

Ain't that the truth. I just want someone to have no excuses and since there is no way the Republicans will be in complete control I hope it's the democrats.

I am tired of people using partisanship as an excuse to FAIL AMERICANS on my dime.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Arkaign

/sarcasm off

Have you been following the housing/lending meltdown? Expect a massive backlash when so many Americans will find themselves unable to get a loan to buy a home.

I hate that so many opportunists bought so many homes as investments, driving up the cost of real estate and straining the banking systems. Increasing the cost of home ownership only hurts our economy long-term.

Well, IMHO, houses were getting too easy to buy, and lenders were reeling people in with no means to pay for it. Im all for buying a home...but not if you cant afford it. This correction is much needed IMO.

Sorry...derailed....

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
who are these 18% that approve of the congress, and what exactly do they like about the congress?

frankly i don't think the lefties are very happy with the leftiness of the congress, and the conservatives feel the repubs have completely lost their rudder....

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Arkaign

Congressional approval rating is utterly irrelevant because :

CONGRESS ALWAYS SUCKS AS A WHOLE

I can guarantee only one thing come the next inauguration :

We'll have another cretin in the Presidency.

Too bad we couldn't get someone with some personal conviction and integrity like Hagel. We'll have to suffer the asinine humiliation of having :

Guiliani?
Clinton?
etc?

As the President of the most powerful nation in history. At least they probably won't be as bad as Bush, but Guiliani might well succeed in that if heaven forbid, he gets elected.

I still can't fathom, how in a shining nation of 300+ MILLION people, we always puke up the worst people imaginable to be President.

I'd vote for Charles Manson ahead of Bush or Guiliani or Clinton or Kerry. F em all.

Yeah, totally agree with you.

I think the reason we have such sh1t candidates across the board though is because the truly excellant people we have in the US don't want to run for office. Not worth the effort when they could be making tens of millions and not have to listen to a bunch of partisan know nothing hacks tell you how they would do it...all without having the pressures POTUS faces on an hourly basis with the information (sometimes too much, often too little) available.

What this country needs are people that are truly top notch, but are willing to take the hit personally for the country. Sadly out of 300M, those are few and far between...

Chuck

HombrePequeno

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo

Nice FUD, Heartless. The truth remains:

Congress is doing fine except for the reason they were elected: The Bush War In Iraq . Iraq is seen by the American people as the single most important issue that Congress and the administration should address.

51% - think Republicans in the Senate are obstructing the Iraq debate

59% - favor setting a time-table for removing troops from Iraq

61% - think keeping US troops in Iraq will make Middle Eastern nations much more hostile to the U.S.

65% - think that the costs of remaining in Iraq outweigh the benefits

65% - feel that The Surge escalation is not making much difference or is it making the situation there worse

66% - favor removing all U.S. troops from Iraq by April 1st of next year, except for a limited number that would be involved in counter-terrorism efforts

68% - think George W. Bush should compromise with the Democratic leaders in Congress on Iraq more than he has

69% - think George W. Bush does not have a clear plan for handling the situation in Iraq

So, dear Heartless, when you proclaim:

You are pissin' in the wind . . . .

Or another wayt to look at it:

49% think think Republicans in the Senate are NOT obstructing the Iraq debate

41% do NOT favor setting a time-table for removing troops from Iraq

39% think keeping US troops in Iraq will NOT make Middle Eastern nations much more hostile to the U.S.

35% think that the costs of remaining in Iraq do NOT outweigh the benefits

35% feel that The Surge escalation is making much difference or is it not making the situation there worse

34% favor NOT removing all U.S. troops from Iraq by April 1st of next year, except for a limited number that would be involved in counter-terrorism efforts

32% think George W. Bush should NOT compromise with the Democratic leaders in Congress on Iraq more than he has

31% think George W. Bush does have a clear plan for handling the situation in Iraq

Sure does look better than Congress's approval rating :)

There is this gray area called undecided which you seem to completely have ignored.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The party in power (as called by the OP) picks up an 18% (highest so far this year) gain on a "generic vote" on the challenging party. Imagine that.

Democrats have opened an eighteen point lead in the Generic Congressional ballot. The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey found that, if the Congressional Election were held today, 50% of American voters say they would vote for the Democrat in their district. Just 32% would opt for the Republican. A month ago, the Democrats lead was just ten percentage points, 47% to 37%.

That just so happens to be the same number quoted by the OP from his/her poll.