jury duty is a joke...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mayfriday0529

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2003
I thought Jury Duty was ok. Had a day off from work and still got paid. I was out by 1pm dismissed. Had the rest of the afternoon free.

tyler811

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
Originally posted by: loki8481
arg. I got the dreaded letter yesterday. I'm half tempted to ignore it.

if I'm not at work, no matter what the reason is, I don't get paid... I know I could claim financial hardship, but that will still involve taking a day off of work to plead with the judge, and with my roommate having moved out, I can't really afford to miss a day of work. on top of that, jury duty in NJ only compensates you for a grand total of $5/day :| so on top of losing several hundred dollars from not working, I'll have to pay a toll to drive to the court house every day and another $20/day for parking.

has anyone in the history of the world actually been arrested for ignoring a jury duty summons?

Thats the way to honor those who have sacrificed their lives to develop and maintain the security of our country. Wait whats that noise????????? Ohhh thats the sound of our founding fathers rolling over in thier grave.

tyler811

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
Originally posted by: everman
It's interesting that basic juror's rights are not told to prospective jurors. I wonder what would happen if everyone actually knew and understood it? Oh well, most people don't even know what rights are granted to them under the law as it is, a sorry state of affairs.

All it takes is one phone to the court house. I served once back "83" It was $15 a day and took 4 days. I called ahead though and found out what it paid and if parking was covered.(It was)

5to1baby1in5

Golden Member
Apr 27, 2001
Originally posted by: loki8481
haha.

the first time I was summoned for jury duty, I was 18. I did my best to look like a total juvenile delinquent in the hopes that no lawyer would want me deciding the fate of the trial... greasy hair, ratty clothes, painted my nails black, and I wore my super huge wallet chain.

I ended up as the jury foreman.

/sigh

You should have worn a "FVCK COMMUNISM" teeshirt.

Edit: Spelling

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by: tyler811
It's interesting that basic juror's rights are not told to prospective jurors. I wonder what would happen if everyone actually knew and understood it? Oh well, most people don't even know what rights are granted to them under the law as it is, a sorry state of affairs.

All it takes is one phone to the court house. I served once back "83" It was $15 a day and took 4 days. I called ahead though and found out what it paid and if parking was covered.(It was)

Of course the information is freely available, but my point is that jurors themselves are not even fully informed before or after being sworn in. They aren't told that they can essentially ignore what the law says in reaching a verdict. Instead they're usually told, as I was, that you must base everything entirely on the facts and the law, which is false. Jury nullification does happen, but not often.

fLum0x

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2004
it must be so hard to actually help out the country from time to time. you live here, help take care of it

tyler811

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
Originally posted by: fbrdphreak
Originally posted by: Ryan
Whine whine whine - do your civic duty.
He's not whining, he's got a real issue here you prick. Sounds like the OP wouldn't mind doing his civic duty if it wasn't fvcking him over financially; even getting the summons is a problem.

OP, you do what you need to do for yourself. If you need to work and can't make it work, don't fvcking do it man. But I'd call or write them ASAP to work this out. Also try talking to work, HR if possible.

Nice resort to name calling :frown:

What about those that died for the basic rights we have today, what if all people said "Fvck it I am too busy or whats in for me" or the people that serve today.

The "issues" those had that died for our country were the wives and children and mothers and fathers and sisters and brothers they left behind. Children that never met their mother or father. Parents that never saw their kids grow up. Boys not having a dad to teach them baseball or girls that had a dad to give away on the wedding day. Mothers not seeing their son grow into men or daughters grow into women.

The present people serving in the armed forces today, living in extreme heat or cold. Missing birthdays and weddings and baseball games. Not seeing their child grow for that first step or word. All because they felt a need to server thier country. Those are the real issues.

herkulease

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
the joke that is jury duty is that if you do get stuck. at least in here in santa clara count you only get 15 bucks a day plus milege. san jose hall of justice provides free parking.

It is well below minimum wage, the least the government can do is pay jurors minimum wage. for me after 1.5 weeks it worked out be an average of $3 an hour.

I'm sure some other areas are worst. People avoid jury duty besides being lazy is they don't get any money.

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002

Of course the information is freely available, but my point is that jurors themselves are not even fully informed before or after being sworn in. They aren't told that they can essentially ignore what the law says in reaching a verdict. Instead they're usually told, as I was, that you must base everything entirely on the facts and the law, which is false. Jury nullification does happen, but not often.

Is jury nullification "allowed" in all states? I live in GA and I know it's in the GA constitution but I wasn't sure if it was permissible everywhere.

Of course I know there's no real way for a judge to enforce it even if it's not allowed but it could be the difference between a mistrial and not guilty.

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
Also, I've served JD three times. The second time, after the clerk read the list of people who had been summoned and didn't show up, the judge immediately issued bench warrants. This may have been for people that had responded to the questionnaire but not shown up.

herkulease

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Originally posted by: SearchMaster

Is jury nullification "allowed" in all states? I live in GA and I know it's in the GA constitution but I wasn't sure if it was permissible everywhere.

Of course I know there's no real way for a judge to enforce it even if it's not allowed but it could be the difference between a mistrial and not guilty.

I'm sure it is allowed. Rather how would they even know unless its a blatantly obvious one. unless as a jury comes back with not guilty verdict after defendent is caught on tape committing crime, or admits to it while on the stand.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Holy ****, thank you you for posting this, I completely forgot I had a summons for this week! Thankfully I got lucky and my group number hasn't been called yet.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Served jd today. Sat there 3hrs, 8:30am-11:30am. They came in, said thanks, and I'm done (at least for the next 3yrs).:)

GiLtY

Golden Member
Sep 10, 2000
I don't know about your particular court, but when I went to Jury Duty, they asked a question about your faith in the US judicial system. This one guy said he didn't really believed it was really working, and he got off the hook.

--GiLtY

IHAVEAQUESTION

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: arcenite
Stop whining you pvssy. I have jury duty the end of this month. You'll probably lose more than I'll get paid (my job DOES pay you for jury duty). If you want to enjoy American freedoms, you'll have to do the one thing your country asks you to do.

What American freedom?

ItsAlive

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2005
A really close friend of mine was summoned for jury duty and they sent the letter to his parents house.......he doesnt even live with his parents. He didnt get the letter until it was past the due date and he went to the courthouse to see what was up with it and they arrested him right there and fined him $1000. They already had issued a warrent for his arrest before he even went to the courthouse. Avading jury duty is no joke in Illinois.....I dont know how they treat it in other states.

amol

Lifer
Jul 8, 2001
He's not whining, he's got a real issue here you prick. Sounds like the OP wouldn't mind doing his civic duty if it wasn't fvcking him over financially; even getting the summons is a problem.

OP, you do what you need to do for yourself. If you need to work and can't make it work, don't fvcking do it man. But I'd call or write them ASAP to work this out. Also try talking to work, HR if possible.

What about those that died for the basic rights we have today, what if all people said "Fvck it I am too busy or whats in for me" or the people that serve today.

The "issues" those had that died for our country were the wives and children and mothers and fathers and sisters and brothers they left behind. Children that never met their mother or father. Parents that never saw their kids grow up. Boys not having a dad to teach them baseball or girls that had a dad to give away on the wedding day. Mothers not seeing their son grow into men or daughters grow into women.

The present people serving in the armed forces today, living in extreme heat or cold. Missing birthdays and weddings and baseball games. Not seeing their child grow for that first step or word. All because they felt a need to server thier country. Those are the real issues.

VOLUNTEER Army.

Edit: To elaborate ... all those people you described volunteered to be in those positions. Sure, they did/are doing brave things and I am thankful for that, but if they were in a situation which wouldn't allow them to serve, they wouldn't.

The OP seems as if he should serve but is in a situation where he can't.

tyler811

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Amol

VOLUNTEER Army.

Edit: To elaborate ... all those people you described volunteered to be in those positions. Sure, they did/are doing brave things and I am thankful for that, but if they were in a situation which wouldn't allow them to serve, they wouldn't.

The OP seems as if he should serve but is in a situation where he can't.

They volunteer now but in WW2 Korea and Vietnam they did'nt A lot of them did'nt. And regardless if they volunteer or not, they all did or are doing the same, defending our country.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
I was actually called a few weeks ago in MD. I don't even live there.

I responded by calling the court house, and explaining the situation. They were a bit skeptical, asked me to fax them a copy of my PA driver's license (proof of permanent residence). I did so, and my obligation was relieved.