June Bugs

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
Anyone else dealing with these mofos? Might be a southern thing. I walk out on my porch and they are there. In the hundreds. Maybe thousands. Flying everywhere. Crawling everyhere. Trying to crawl in my beer. And down my throat. Shiat is weird.

But they just seem to be dying. I would think they would be like love bugs - looking to mate and spread their seed. But no. The fliers slowly become crawlers, then they shortly turn over on their backs and kick their legs in the air, and after not too long they are dead.

What is going on with these stupid bugs? They are starting to haunt my dreams. My waking dreams.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Chipmunks will devour those things. Watching them pounce and chomp down is like a scene from Jurassic Park. Start spreading peanuts in your yard to attract chipmunks. (I have not tested this theory, try at your own risk)

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
If I understand correctly: Predator satiation is their reproductive / proliferation strategy.

Maybe the males that already mated with females are dying?

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
The radio was advertising that a certain roller coaster would be running backwards at a certain theme park. We rode it just as the park was closing and it wasn't. In order to load it up enough for the last people in line to ride, they asked some people from the ride just before it to stay. I got to move up to the very front without waiting in line.

The first hill is slow because that's where you accelerate from a stop, but I opened my mouth to say something to my friend just as we were cresting the next hill at full speed. That's when I felt something crack on my front teeth and spray it's bitter-tasting guts all over the back of my mouth. Spitting at the front of a roller coaster will get you in a lot of trouble, so all I could do was cough and gag up little bits. I immediately identified the twitching legs of a June Beetle.

Screw those little buggers. Also, why couldn't the coaster have been running backwards as advertised?! Why did I have to ride again and why did I have to ride in the front?! I still ask myself these questions daily.