Jumper - worst movie ever.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: YOyoYOhowsDAjello
i don't know whether to take anything seriously i read on here about movie reviews and such. you guys love stuff like Talladega Nights.

meh, i guess i'll just watch it when it comes out on DVD anyway. the trailer looked pretty cool to me.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/jumper/ 15% right now, that's pretty horrible

and Talladega Nights got a 72%. that movie was shit - pure shit.

Shake & Bake!

timosyy

Golden Member
Dec 19, 2003
Saw it, was pretty bad. Good action/scenery/environments though. Really, really bad acting/ridiculously huge plot holes as well but /shrug

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
i don't know whether to take anything seriously i read on here about movie reviews and such. you guys love stuff like Talladega Nights.

meh, i guess i'll just watch it when it comes out on DVD anyway. the trailer looked pretty cool to me.

Shut your mouth. That movie was pure comedic gold.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: Sqube
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Originally posted by: TecHNooB
Too bad you couldn't make it to There Will be Blood, it was absolutely brilliant. If Daniel Day Lewis doesn't win the oscar for that performance it will be the biggest robbery since Russell Crowe lost out for A Beautiful Mind.

KT

Who won that year?

Denzel for Training Day. :thumbsdown:

KT

You don't think he deserved it?

Denzel playing Denzel....nothing spectacular there.

For Glory...maybe. But not for Training Day.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
I don't know man. There's some pretty bad movies out there. Watched "Dragon Wars" last week. That was pretty freakin' bad.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: purbeast0
i also find it funny that there seem to be 5 people in this thread who saw the movie and only the OP thought it was a bad movie.

but everyone who has replied other than the 4/5 people who actually saw the movie already think it is a terrible movie.

way to make decisions w/out even seeing movies :thumbsup:

The previews are pretty telling, and people do watch and read reviews for a reason. With the price of going to a theater these days, is it really worth it to feel so utterly cheated?

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
I just saw it this past weekend. It wasn't horrible, but it did seem like the concept could have been developed way more. The second jumper actually livened the movie up a bit, while the main character pretty much sucked.

They did leave a lot unexplained though...a few things that come to mind.

There seemed to be some significance to 5 years old being when the ability starts, but there was very little expanded upon this.

In the movie, electricity is used by the paladins to disrupt the jumpers ability, but they are still human. When the two jumpers were fighting and one got stuck in some power lines, wouldn't he be dead instead of fine, but just unable to jump?

There was very little back story on a lot of things. The jumpers themselves, the Paladins and how/why they go after the jumpers, other than "only God should have this power". Also, how they even track the jumpers. You would think it would be easy to avoid people when you can be anywhere, anytime and the people chasing you have to travel the old fashioned way.

I did enjoy the movie overall though. I think my favorite part was when the two jumpers were cruising and jumping in the stolen Mercedes...

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
Hmmm...haven't seen the movie. But I did see the heavy advertisiment layed on the channels during the NFL season. "The Jumper Moment"

I thought I had seen the worse when they gave John Madden a light pen to draw on the screen. Nope, the "jumper moment" beats that.

I'll wait till I start scraping the bottom of my Netflix queue to see this movie.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: pyonir
Worst ever? You obviously haven't seen "The Marine".

I thought that was alright for a pure action movie? :confused:

You people are way too anal over movies and think these suck? You obviously don't get out enough to see some really shitty movies.

Originally posted by: purbeast0
you must not have seen many movies if Jumper is the worst movie you've ever seen.

Jumper was a decent flick. nothing terrible but nothing great. it was a decent flick that kept me entertained for 90 minutes.

there are far worse flicks than Jumper. just stop going to movies expecting to see a movie as good as T2, Gladiator, or Braveheart everytime you see a movie and you wont be as disappointed.

Exactly ;).

Originally posted by: Insane3D
The second jumper actually livened the movie up a bit, while the main character pretty much sucked.

He did have some amusing quips :D.

There seemed to be some significance to 5 years old being when the ability starts, but there was very little expanded upon this.

Yeah, I noticed that it wasn't explained, but I also realized that it probably has no real significance other than 5 just being the age where the power manifests. They probably could've chose 0 and had the babies "jump" out of the mother's womb for what anyone knows :p. So in other words, I think they just kind of chose a young age to avoid the kid having a good recollection of it.

In the movie, electricity is used by the paladins to disrupt the jumpers ability, but they are still human. When the two jumpers were fighting and one got stuck in some power lines, wouldn't he be dead instead of fine, but just unable to jump?

I think this is either one of those times where you just need to ignore nature and believe it or that there's some sort of immunity to electricity because it's "shorting" them out rather than killing them.

There was very little back story on a lot of things. The jumpers themselves, the Paladins and how/why they go after the jumpers, other than "only God should have this power". Also, how they even track the jumpers. You would think it would be easy to avoid people when you can be anywhere, anytime and the people chasing you have to travel the old fashioned way.

I think they kind of touched on the Jumpers vs Paladins beginnings. They pointed out that the Paladins were the ones behind all the religious fanaticism in the past such as the Salem Witch Trials, etc.

About hiding, it seems the one guy hid pretty well since he was so far away in the middle of nowhere, but it seems others were a bit too extravagant with their powers and it made them stick out a bit. Kind of like how the main character left that one guy behind (duh, that'd be a bad idea).

I did enjoy the movie overall though. I think my favorite part was when the two jumpers were cruising and jumping in the stolen Mercedes...

The scene with the bus was pretty sweet :p.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: xeemzor

You obviously haven't seen Battlefield Earth. ;)

Rating movie "badness" is kind of like those speedometers in old cars that went all the way around. Some movies are so horrifically bad that they actually swing around to being good. They take bad to a whole new level, and make it into an art form. Where you laugh at how bad it is and have a good time anyway. BFE did that purely by accident, the old MST3k TV show used to highlight some of the best of the worst of these, and Quentin Tarantino has been trying and failing to this his whole career.

So the worst of the worst movies are those that are just mediocre bad. The ones that aren't even good at being suck. Really, if I was a filmmaker, I'd rather have people say that my movies were completely horrible than just "bad but not that bad."

AmdEmAll

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2000
I have not seen the other two movies but There will be Blood was one of the worst movies ive ever seen. Soooooooo boring, I thought it would never end.

Legendary

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2002
Originally posted by: AmdEmAll
I have not seen the other two movies but There will be Blood was one of the worst movies ive ever seen. Soooooooo boring, I thought it would never end.

:confused:
...seriously? I loved it.

Name some of your favorite movies.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Legendary

Yes, please do. I thought There Will be Blood was fantastic!!

KT

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006

KT

Did you read Amis' Experience? He talks about being childhood friends with Daniel Day Lewis. I thought it was pretty interesting. I've always been a fan, and Blood was on par with all of his other amazing performances.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: m1ldslide1

KT

Did you read Amis' Experience? He talks about being childhood friends with Daniel Day Lewis. I thought it was pretty interesting. I've always been a fan, and Blood was on par with all of his other amazing performances.

I haven't read that. I'll definitely have to search around for it. He is consistently amazing.

KT

AmdEmAll

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2000

The movie wasn't entirely bad. The acting was great and the plot started off good but imo it just dragged on and then dragged on more.

Some movies I like are.. Heat, Indiana Jones Series, The Island, Back to the Future series, Goodfellas, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Pulp Fiction, Memento, American Beauty, Alien... so many great movies.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Originally posted by: slag

Shut your mouth. That movie was pure comedic gold.

More like cinematic platinum...they don't build like that anymore.

Edit: Actually Semi-pro may be of the same caliber...

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
I will wait for DVD.....or if it gets deep into my Netflix que, I'll end up eventually watching it on cable at a late hour.

I'm not spending $21 for me and my wife on this trash.

Stiganator

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2001
The teleporting was cool. Were you expecting good acting? If you went in to see how cool teleporting would be it was just fine. If you went in expecting Shaw Shank Redemption, then you're a moron.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Aikouka

I thought that was alright for a pure action movie? :confused:

You people are way too anal over movies and think these suck? You obviously don't get out enough to see some really shitty movies.

LOL...wow. pure action movie? With quite possibly the worst acting and ridiculous action scenes? That movie was horrible.

I watch a ton of movies...ones i know are going to be shitty and ones i know aren't. The Marine is definitely one of the worst action movies i've seen. Hands down.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
The lead actress was easy on the eyes, thats the absolute only good thing I can say about the movie. She was horrible on the acting front, as was everyone - including Samual.

The story was dumb, and just when you think the story can't get any dumber you see the ending with his mom which is obviously keeping it open for a sequal. Dumbest ending/story I've seen in a while

Luckily I didn't pay to watch it

jhbball

Platinum Member
Mar 20, 2002
ROTTENTOMATOES.COM

STOP WASTING YOUR MONEY.

Seriously, what's wrong with you people? Read some damn reviews first.