Jumper - worst movie ever.

Al Neri

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2002
A few of my friends were debating between seeing 'Cloverfield' and 'There Will Be Blood,' too bad Jumper was the only movie that fit into our schedule. Anyway.

This movie couldn't have been worse. I don't know if anyone has read the books or whatever but they could not have been as bad as this movie. Samuel L. Jackson did well for the script he was given (I guess) but his character was so dumb and corny. Anyway, did anyone see this piece of junk besides me?

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
you needed to spend $10 and waste 2 hours to figure out this movie would suck?

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Too bad you couldn't make it to There Will be Blood, it was absolutely brilliant. If Daniel Day Lewis doesn't win the oscar for that performance it will be the biggest robbery since Russell Crowe lost out for A Beautiful Mind.

KT

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i don't know whether to take anything seriously i read on here about movie reviews and such. you guys love stuff like Talladega Nights.

meh, i guess i'll just watch it when it comes out on DVD anyway. the trailer looked pretty cool to me.

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Too bad you couldn't make it to There Will be Blood, it was absolutely brilliant. If Daniel Day Lewis doesn't win the oscar for that performance it will be the biggest robbery since Russell Crowe lost out for A Beautiful Mind.

KT
Who won that year?

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: TecHNooB

KT
Who won that year?
Denzel for Training Day. :thumbsdown:

KT

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
You have to figure any movie with Hayden Christensen starring in it has got to suck hard.

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
You have to figure any movie with Hayden Christensen starring in it has got to suck hard.
Episoe 3 was pretty good. Though it may have been risen to a higher status since we get to see him get sliced and diced.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

KT
Who won that year?

KT
haha...I actually thought Crowe won for that. Forgot that was the Academy's reparations ceremony (although Hale Berry certainly deserved hers)

I hear Jumper is some 80 minutes long, and has no back story or explanation what-so-ever for who these people are and why they exist? Sounds like this movie was edited in post by Michael Bay...

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
That and pretty much any movie released in February - aka when studios start releasing their garbage.

Al Neri

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2002
Originally posted by: pontifex
i don't know whether to take anything seriously i read on here about movie reviews and such. you guys love stuff like Talladega Nights.

meh, i guess i'll just watch it when it comes out on DVD anyway. the trailer looked pretty cool to me.
Talladega Nights was awful.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001

KT
The biggest robbery of all time was Julia Roberts winning for Erin Brokovich over Ellen Burnstyn for Requiem for a Dream.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/jumper/ 15% right now, that's pretty horrible

Sqube

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004

KT
Who won that year?

KT
You don't think he deserved it?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: YOyoYOhowsDAjello

and Talladega Nights got a 72%. that movie was shit - pure shit.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Platypus

KT
The biggest robbery of all time was Julia Roberts winning for Erin Brokovich over Ellen Burnstyn for Requiem for a Dream.
That is a huge robbery, but I still think Crowe losing out was a travesty of epic proportions.

Looking at this year's nominee list again, I guess I wouldn't be too upset if Viggo or even TLJ won, they were both excellent, but DDL was still better than all of them.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Sqube

KT
Who won that year?

KT
You don't think he deserved it?
Nope. Crowe was freaking amazing and Denzel was just ok in Training Day, which I always thought was quite overrated. I'm a huge Denzel fan, but I think he was much more deserving in other performances before and after Training Day.

KT

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Heh. Those reviewers comments are just scathing. :p

And I thought Talladega Nights was a steaming pile of crap.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I didn't think Jumper was bad at all. Here's a couple thoughts on the movie:

1) I think they could've had a bit more rising action in the movie. A typical conflict needs a decent amount of rising action prior to it or you reach the conflict too fast and you're not drummed up, etc. For example, in the movie when the guy calls up Roland (Samuel L. Jackson's character) and says, "We've got a lead." What the hell... why don't they show the main character doing something stupid that finally gives him away instead of them just finally finding him. I like the idea of A->B not just having B thrown in your face.

2) Some people complained about Rachel Bilson's acting, but I found her character to be somewhat natural actually. To me, it sounded kind of like she was being that cautious girlfriend character which is what she was supposed to portray.

3) It seemed at points characters just knew things. Like Hayden's character called the locations "jump spots" yet I don't recall the term ever being used in front of him, nor did he really know that it was referred to by the Paladins (the bad guys) or other Jumpers as Jumping.

I just watched it as a fun action film and didn't care about much else. I didn't really see what in the movie was so "unexplained" like some reviews I read.

Also for those illegal people, it seems the copy of Jumper floating around "in the wild" is pretty decent quality :p.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Yep, don't even know why there would be any doubt.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Looking at this year's nominee list again, I guess I wouldn't be too upset if Viggo or even TLJ won, they were both excellent, but DDL was still better than all of them.

KT
Eastern Promises was one of the few movies I saw in the theater in 07. That movie was all Viggo and it was great. Glad to see he's still doing quality work after LOTR.

ASK THE COMMUNITY