Discussion July 4th holiday feast thread- Whatcha having?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I bought a lot of produce at my public market the other day and that includes basil. I saved out a large portion and have some fresh mozzarella and so neo-Neapolitans will be had :) I'll put a thick baking stone on the highest rack at 550 and a steel plate on top if that to take the brunt of the broiler irradiation to prevent cracking the stone. It's not a 90 second Neapolitan, but it bubbles and leopards nicely especially since the sourdough formulation is 100% King Arthur bread flour, which is pretty close to high gluten and has many of the same baking qualities as tipo 00 flour traditionally used in 900F woodfired pies. A Caprese salad may also be had depending on how hungry people are, but I should think that a 13-14" pizza ought to be enough.

Tomorrow is smashed black and blue bacon burgers for the main meal with corn on the cob.

Everyone else?

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
some family from Sweden is visiting and coming by for lunch, so we'll do some typical burgers/hot dogs/grilled corn today. probably do blue cheese burgers.

stargazr

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2010
Brisket, macaroni salad, potato salad and other goodies. And Shiner beer.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Probably nothing special today. We had a 4-5 hour power outage when SWMBO was starting to cook for the day. Almost a.dozen eggs barely boiled, just tossed them out. No way to '"recook" them for much of anything...so much for potato salad tonight.
Still have dogs and burgers to grill...and might have some canned pork & beans..
:puke:

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Seasoned chicken breasts with couscous. Raw baby carrots on the side.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
and might have some canned pork & beans..
:puke:
Beans and wienies is what I had. Heinz vegetarian beans, and aldi organic hotdogs. Love it. Also just made some of my world famous olive salad. Black olive, kalmata olive, stuffed grape leaves, pickled jalapeño slices, and feta cheese. I don't usually like having workweek lunch food off duty, but I wanted something to eat, and nothing else really looked good.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Glad you all had great food! Husband and I got in the car in Galveston, TX at 8:15AM CDT and got out at home in Tallahassee, FL at 9PM EDT. So eating was from the snack bag in the car all day. Not very festive, I'll admit, but we survived.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Glad you all had great food! Husband and I got in the car in Galveston, TX at 8:15AM CDT and got out at home in Tallahassee, FL at 9PM EDT. So eating was from the snack bag in the car all day. Not very festive, I'll admit, but we survived.
You know, they make planes for crap like that.