JulesMaximus is hybrid car enabled! Updated with some better pics.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I know, worst choice a car guy could make but I don't care. I'm sick of filling up every 4 days and spending $65 a tank, which is only going to get worse.

Averaged 42.1 mpg on the drive home from the dealership which is 5 minutes from where I work. :cool: [SMUG] :p

Few minor complaints, the steering is pretty numb, but I knew that already. The base is pretty boomy though, might have to upgrade the speakers to address that. Edit-Oh, and I hate the headlights. So used to HID headlights and these just look like they cast a dull yellow light. Otherwise, I'm pretty pleased with it.

2012 Camry Hybrid XLE, white with grey leather interior, NAV, and power moon roof. They even filled the tank for me. Looking forward to nearly 2 weeks without visiting a gas station. Be prepared for smugness overload.

Last edited:

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Congrats...I wonder if the camry's mpg is off like it is on the prius. My prius shows about 3 mpg higher than what the actual mpg is based off of actual fillups.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Congrats...I wonder if the camry's mpg is off like it is on the prius. My prius shows about 3 mpg higher than what the actual mpg is based off of actual fillups.

Crap, I forgot to reset the trip meter so I can check that on my first fill up. Oh well, you may not have an update on this for a few weeks... the smugness begins. :cool::p

nboy22

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2002
My Corolla, while not a hybrid, gets great mileage and always gets 3-4 mpg more than it says it should on the EPA stickers. I enjoy filling up every 3-4 weeks since I live 5 miles from work. I think you made the right choice.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
I live 3 miles from work, I don't feel like riding my bike to work, I work 7 days a week, and I fill up weekly because I can. Suck it hippie!

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Booo Boooooooo... hissssss hisssss... throws tomatoes.

Stay out of the left lane, so that you can travel slow enough to smell your smugness.

south%20park%20hybrid%201600x1236%20wallpaper_www.wallpaperno.com_6.jpg

T2urtle

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2004
Once you go hybrid you never go back :)

there was a article not to long ago stating the hybrid owners rarely repeat with another hybrid.

Looking at the numbers and break even points its tough to buy a hybrid, but now if you just want to say you have one or a ECO guy sure why not.

Jules, did you sell/trade that max for this?

Black2na

Nov 25, 2010
I wouldn't call you a car guy persay. Your a motorcycle guy! So a cage seems to more tool then anything else. And on that mindset you did a good job! I like the new camrys. Wouldn't buy one but i like them

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
nice car jules! How soon do you get your aarp membership?

jk :p

If you didnt have a duke we would worry about you

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
there was a article not to long ago stating the hybrid owners rarely repeat with another hybrid.

Looking at the numbers and break even points its tough to buy a hybrid, but now if you just want to say you have one or a ECO guy sure why not.
That's a bit misleading. Lets say you have two cars in the family, say a minivan and a sedan. This year you replace the sedan with a hybrid. Is your next car going to be to replace the hybrid or the minivan? Exactly, most likely the minivan. So based on this, you're right, hybrid buyers rarely repeat with another one.

Take me for example. Bought the CR-Z in 2011. Last year we bought an Acadia. So I didn't repeat as a hybrid buyer even though its a ridiculous comparison.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Nice appliance. Does it come in stainless steel? I KID!

I'm admittedly jealous. I cringe every time I fill up the minivan and its 22mpg average I get :(

I need a kid or two out of daycare before I can pick up a third vehicle that's more fuel efficient than what I have now.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

Jules, did you sell/trade that max for this?

Yes. It was time and even though I kept it in great condition it was going to need some fairly expensive repairs in the coming year if I kept it. I owned that car for 10 years and 130,000 miles... longest I've ever owned any car in my entire life.

It's funny because everyone quotes highway mileage for the combustion engine cars but that is not the type of driving I find myself driving in daily so I look strictly at city mpg. When you are realistic about the type of driving you really do the numbers start to favor the hybrid.

Last edited:

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
That's a bit misleading. Lets say you have two cars in the family, say a minivan and a sedan. This year you replace the sedan with a hybrid. Is your next car going to be to replace the hybrid or the minivan? Exactly, most likely the minivan. So based on this, you're right, hybrid buyers rarely repeat with another one.

There's another factor at play too. Rapid advancement in normal combustion engine based car economy. 5 years ago getting a midsize sedan with 38MPG was impossible. 5 years before that getting it into 30 MPG was very tough. If a hybrid owner keeps their car for 5-7 years the increase in technology in "normal" cars has seen a huge improvement.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
True, but very few people have a purely highway commute that doesn't involve stop and go traffic. Assuming you aren't paying a huge premium for a hybrid it does typically make sense.

punjabiplaya

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2006
Not bad. Personally, I would have waited for the mazda 6 diesel to see what kind of real world mileage it gets, but grats on new metal.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Time to put on the khaki slacks and head to Applebees.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Looking forward to Jules' next 'new car thread' in 2025. :D

Seriously - congrats on the new wheels. Look's nice.

Last edited by a moderator:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
True, but very few people have a purely highway commute that doesn't involve stop and go traffic. Assuming you aren't paying a huge premium for a hybrid it does typically make sense.

It was a little over $27k OTD. In fact, it cost me $2k more OTD than my Maxima did 10 years ago when I bought it. No matter what car I ended up with I was looking in exactly this price range for a midsized car with the features I wanted. I was actually looking at higher end cars that were in the mid $30k range that get low 20mpg city.

I probably could have picked up a lesser equipped Camry for a couple grand less but there were some options I really wanted like NAV, power moon roof, and leather which I have in this car. Since I'm going to have this car for a while it made sense to spend a little more for the features I wanted. I spend a lot of time in my car so this is important.

Over 5 years of ownership I will have saved over $4k in gas over a midsized sedan that gets 28 mpg city and over $8k over a car that gets 22 mpg.

Hybrid cars hold their value fairly well too so I figure I did okay with this purchase.