Judges Overturn Racially Motivated Voter Suppression Laws in WI, TX, & MI

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
And, again, there is no tax on voting. The 24th Amendment addressed that issue.

Just to be clear: I support providing ID to those who can't afford the $10 or so that it typically costs for a state issued ID.

So if we provide ID to those who can't afford it then why oppose a voter ID requirement?

Show us the fraud & you'll have a point. if a very weak one.

I remember reading about an elderly woman whose purse was snatched along with her ID. She'd been married & divorced twice, finally widowed by her third husband across the span of 50 years and 6 states. She had no other acceptable ID. She needed to document the name changes all the way back to her birth cert to vote in a new state.

Will you pay for that?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

I remember reading about an elderly woman whose purse was snatched along with her ID. She'd been married & divorced twice, finally widowed by her third husband across the span of 50 years and 6 states. She had no other acceptable ID. She needed to document the name changes all the way back to her birth cert to vote in a new state.

Will you pay for that?

Already addressed this in Post 11. I don't care what name she calls herself as long as we can verify her identity as whatever she wants to call herself when she arrives at the polls. I really don't even care if we definitively prove who she is with documentation, the ID is to ensure she can't pass herself off as someone else, or someone else as her, not that we have her maiden name correct.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Yep, tell some cop you won't show ID and you'll get your ass beat down and tossed in jail for obstruction of justice and resisting arrest. Happens all the time.

And if you're not under arrest or detention, you'll own the cop.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009

Will you pay for that?

Heck, it happens all the time. In our case, we made three moves in 3 years....GA --> MA --> SC.

When we moved to MA, we both were in and out of the DMV in minutes. Just handed in our GA licenses, got MA licenses.

On the other hand, when we moved to SC and went to the DMV, I got mine in minutes....my wife, on the other hand, had to provide marriage certificates for her two marriages, a birth certificate, and divorce decree from her first marriage. The amount of time and money we spent tracking down all that crap was intolerable, but what can you expect from a "law and order" conservative dominated state? Seems the SC DMV was quite willing to accept my MA driver's license, but because my wife took my last name when we married 16 years ago, she had hurdles to jump to accomplish the same task, as if SC didn't believe the MA license.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
So the elected legislature and governor who passed the law twice don't express the will of the voters?

So let me reiterate my question from earlier. Leaving aside discussion about whether it's good policy, does a state which created the means to vote straight ticket also have the right to remove this ability or is it a one-way thing that can't be undone? And if so, why? Also, using the same logic you used to answer this question, should other states then be obliged to create a similar 'service' for voters?

Are you seriously posing these questions? They were in control each time now.

Michigan Republicans have had the Governor seat for 117 out of the last 160 years.
Michigan Republicans have had the Senate for 142 out of the last 160 years.
Michigan Republicans have had the House for 122 of the last 160.

How can you ask if they are expressing the will of the voters by sheer virtue that they were/are in power when both times they tried to eliminate this they were stopped via referendum WHILE in power. Clearly they weren't expressing the will of the voters or it would have been voted up. Especially considering In 2014, in Oakland County, 109,711 people voted a straight Democratic ticket while 108,211 voted a straight Republican ticket.

The GOP lawmakers can go fuck themselves.

But knowing it would lose, a third time, to subvert democracy, instead of asking the voters again, they just said fuck it, no more straight party voting and while we are at it, you can never vote this away.

What other states do is irrelevant. This is Michigan and a Michigan state'e rights issue and we have spoken on this repeatedly now.

As per usual, this is nothing short of a ploy to make the already long lines in urban polling stations even longer and to dissuade voting. EOS

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Ah yes! I remember voter fraud, one of my state polling officials found twenty thousand uncounted ballots in the trunk of her car three days after the pols closed. Strange how they gave the win to her party's runner.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Ah yes! I remember voter fraud, one of my state polling officials found twenty thousand uncounted ballots in the trunk of her car three days after the pols closed. Strange how they gave the win to her party's runner.

If only they had had voter ID and banned straight party voting none of that would have happened. Sad.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
He can't. He is stuck on disingenuous stupidity. He needs to ask himself why he hates America and why he hates minorities so much he wants to make it as long and as difficult as possible for them to be able to vote and why in particular he wants to see the will of the Michigan voters, twice now, thrown out. We all know the answer to this already though...

Why do you think minorities are so slow and stupid that they need a straight party vote?

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Already addressed this in Post 11. I don't care what name she calls herself as long as we can verify her identity as whatever she wants to call herself when she arrives at the polls. I really don't even care if we definitively prove who she is with documentation, the ID is to ensure she can't pass herself off as someone else, or someone else as her, not that we have her maiden name correct.

Strict voter ID & voter fraud are false flag operations. Actual fraud is insignificant. Any rational person can see that.

So you're either irrational or dishonest.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
If only they had had voter ID and banned straight party voting none of that would have happened. Sad.

Yes, one party registering voters and then throwing out the ones marked for the other party. Throwing out any mailed in absentee voter forms that did not have the exactly correct matching signature/party.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Oh, I also like the GOP scam of reducing polling places in high population minority areas.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Don't worry conservatives, if you manage to elect your Mussolini this November, I'm sure he'll require you to carry around all sorts of ID's, papers, badges etc--just so we can all make sure we all know who and what everyone is because that is very important for everyone.

And he'll need to be able to properly collect his tariffs for the privilege we all share of living in "his" country.

I wonder how quick to exercise your 2nd amendment rights you will be when the dictator you elect becomes exactly everything he promised to be?

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
Don't worry conservatives, if you manage to elect your Mussolini this November, I'm sure he'll require you to carry around all sorts of ID's, papers, badges etc--just so we can all make sure we all know who and what everyone is because that is very important for everyone.

And he'll need to be able to properly collect his tariffs for the privilege we all share of living in "his" country.

I wonder how quick to exercise your 2nd amendment rights you will be when the dictator you elect becomes exactly everything he promised to be?

now who's a fear monger?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
now who's a fear monger?

what are you talking about, moron?

I'm just repeating what your idol The Trump is promising for his acolytes.

You see, stupid like you happens when one suffers from a complete lack of history, and an utter contempt for simple pursuits like reading, and education.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
what are you talking about, moron?

I'm just repeating what your idol The Trump is promising for his acolytes.

You see, stupid like you happens when one suffers from a complete lack of history, and an utter contempt for simple pursuits like reading, and education.

1) trump is not my idol you fucktard

2) As to your post, where did trump say we are all going to be required to walk around with papers?

3) Your entire post I quoted was nothing but fear mongering.

Last edited:

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
1) trump is not my idol you fucktard

2) As to your post, where did trump say we are all going to be required to walk around with papers?

3) Your entire post I quoted was nothing but fear mongering.
Sorry Trump is your cheeto Jesus.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009

The Mussolini comparison is interesting. I've also heard Trump being compared to being a "small" Caesar.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
:persevere:http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/09/21/texas_voting_rights_state_put_under_court_supervision_for_flouting_id_ruling.html

Texas has violated the courts orders so bad that they are now going to be put under supervision.

But Texas quickly violated this court order by actively misleading voters about ID requirements in statements to the press and official voting materials. While Ramos ruled that voters could legally sign an affidavit swearing they could not reasonably obtain ID, Texas officials implied that they would criminally investigate “everyone who signs that form.” Ramos also ordered Texas to educate voters about their ability to vote without an ID if they cannot “reasonably obtain it.” Yet the state recast Ramos’ language, declaring in its educational materials that only voters who cannot obtain ID at all may sign the affidavit. As the Justice Department noted in a complaint, this “inaccurate” and “misleading information” suggests that voters who would face a heavy burden in obtaining an approved ID—but could still theoretically get one—must still present an ID to vote.

Way to go guys. :persevere:

Reactions: MongGrel

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
I'm
Yes, why didn't they just listen to the idiot left who proclaims loudly and repeatedly that minorities are too stupid to get photo IDs?

Oh I see you are confused. If this was about improving the vote then they would have given a lot of runway to give the 600,000 plus voters who didn't have the right IDs a couple of years to get them. It's still a wasteful use of tax payer dollars since there is no in person voter fraud.

Instead they didn't give enough time and made it hard to get the ID in a treasonous move to affect the election. Although. I'm sure the 2nd amendment people will be right in top of this assault on our very right to self-government.
animated-smileys-rolleyes-07.gif

Reactions: MongGrel

Roflmouth

Golden Member
Oct 5, 2015
I'm

Oh I see you are confused. If this was about improving the vote then they would have given a lot of runway to give the 600,000 plus voters who didn't have the right IDs a couple of years to get them. It's still a wasteful use of tax payer dollars since there is no in person voter fraud.

Sure there is, sorry that the illegal aliens and dead people your idiot party relies are going to have a difficult time voting in Texas. Normal people don't need two years to get a photo ID, no matter how much liberals insist that their pet minorities are incapable of performing simple tasks.