Judge Says You Can Warn Others About Speed Traps

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
2-5-2014

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/14/0...utm_source=rss1.0mainlinkanon&utm_medium=feed

Judge Says You Can Warn Others About Speed Traps

"Speeding is against the law, and yes, even going 5 mph over the speed limit is breaking the law. But everyone does it, right?

What about when you see a cop?

Some cops are ticketing people for notifying fellow motorists about speed traps.

In Florida, Ryan Kintner simply flashed his high-beams to warning oncoming cars that there was a cop ahead. He was given a ticket for doing so.

He went to court to fight the ticket, and a judge ruled that flashing lights are the equivalent of free speech, thus he had every right to flash his lights to warn oncoming cars."

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
I admit, I used to warn others when I saw a Cop but when I saw the reports of people getting tickets for doing so I stopped because I can't afford a ticket.

Now I will go back to doing my free speech right and warn others of Nefarious Police revenue generation.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
The Blue Gang will find /something/ to arrest you for, not for "alerting other drivers". . .

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I warn other motorists about dangers. But, I realize that if the ticket revenues are down, they're simply going to look for more reasons to hand out tickets. So, if presently, they only ticket drivers for going >76mph in a 65, wonderful. I drive 72 mph. BUT, if everyone stops driving >76, they might start going after the 72mph drivers. So, my attitude is often, "thanks buddy, you're helping them make their quota without coming after me. "