Judge orders MTA to roll back NYC subway and bus fare to $1.50!

isasir

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
Link

Well this oughta be interesting.

In a move that could put money back into the pockets of millions of commuters, a judge has ordered the Metropolitan Transportation Authority Wednesday to roll back the 50-cent subway and bus fare increase that went into effect earlier this month.

State Supreme Court Justice Louis York issued the ruling in a written decision this afternoon in response to a lawsuit filed by the Straphangers Campaign which said the MTA had misled the public about its finances.

It is unclear at this point exactly when the rollback will go into effect, or if the city?s seven million daily riders will be reimbursed for the extra money they have spent since the hike went into effect on May 4.

The lawsuit filed by the Straphangers Campaign late last month contends that the MTA?s public hearings about the fare hike were invalid because the agency didn?t give an accurate picture of its finances. The suit cited audits released by the state and city comptrollers that accuse the MTA of shifting a $500 million surplus to make a fare hike appear necessary a year earlier than when it really was.

The MTA defended the increase, which brought subway and bus fares up to $2, saying it needs the extra money to maintain services.

yoda291

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I forget where I read it, but I remember reading that the money the MTA gets from fares isn't really needed and that it could all be funded through the government or something of the sort.

isasir

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
Hmm, maybe that's the next step. A judge will order the MTA to not levy any fare. Instead, the MTA will make use of all the panhandlers and have them go around collecting donations on behalf of the MTA.

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
I don't think they will be issuing refunds, its impossible (or almost) to verify...

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Kevin
I don't think they will be issuing refunds, its impossible (or almost) to verify...

No one says they will be giving refunds.
It's just a fare cut to $1.50

cchen

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
It would be so much better if they rolled the prices back... the $4 fun pass is a great deal....

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Originally posted by: amnesiac

It is unclear at this point exactly when the rollback will go into effect, or if the city?s seven million daily riders will be reimbursed for the extra money they have spent since the hike went into effect on May 4.

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
Originally posted by: AvesPKS
Originally posted by: amnesiac

Thanks... :)

FuZoR

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2001
I doubt we will be reimburshed...

maybe a few days no charge MTA rides?

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000
Originally posted by: FuZioN
I doubt we will be reimburshed...

maybe a few days no charge MTA rides?

Yeah right.

Anyways, I doubt the MTA could be funded thru the government. Even if the feds had the money to give, they wouldn't, because they don't entirely fund municipal projects.

m2kewl

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2001
roll back the fare.

and some heads need to roll - misleading the public over a $500m surplus borders on the criminal!!