Judge Napolitano: This impeachment process needs to be judged on merits, not process

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The jury, the Senate Majority, is tearing down the prosecution, the House Majority, before they've even heard the case. And complaining how it's not fair to Trump the whole time. Who thinks they'll be honest in evaluating the evidence when they get it?

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
The jury, the Senate Majority, is tearing down the prosecution, the House Majority, before they've even heard the case. And complaining how it's not fair to Trump the whole time. Who thinks they'll be honest in evaluating the evidence when they get it?

I agree Moscow Mitch and his cabal of Repub senators being held hostage by Trump's base will be compelled to support Trump.

However, in the face of such overwhelming factual evidence fingering Trump as the mastermind behind the quid pro quo debacle with Ukraine, I wonder what their play will be now? How will they get around the mounting damning evidence being compiled in the House investigation?

I'm at a loss to think of what McConnell and his fellow Senate Repubs can do to refute the plain and obvious facts of Trump's complicity in this matter.

At this moment it does seem to be an open and shut case against Trump.

edit - spl

Last edited:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I agree Moscow Mitch and his cabal of Repub senators being held hostage by Trump's base will be compelled to support Trump.

However, in the face of such overwhelming factual evidence fingering Trump as the mastermind behind the quid pro quo debacle with Ukraine, I wonder what their play will be now? How will they get around the mounting damning evidence being compiled in the House investigation?

I'm at a loss to think of what McConnell and his fellow Senate Repubs can do to refute the plain and obvious facts of Trump's complicity in this matter.

edit - spl

I think the problem is that a lot of people aren't paying attention and don't care.

One of my coworkers - really nice guy - is looking at his and his wife's retirement funds grow at 10-15% year over year. He's set to retire in like 3-5 years. His thoughts on trump are "As long as the economy is doing well I don't care too much".
I think for a lot of Americans that's the sad but true case. If its not relevant to their every day life, it doesn't really register because they have a lot more to worry about. So despite the numerous geopolitical disasters and blunders caused by trump, which overall weaken our international standing I think a good number of otherwise decent people really just don't care until it hits them in their wallet. And that's when they'll wake up, see who's in charge, and kick then out of office.the evidence against trump needs to be better than good or great that would get any of his predecessors impeached. It needs to be truly and utterly damning.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

edit - spl

Couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch of people. They're the ones who made their base crazy enough to vote for Trump in the first place. It took decades of relentless mind rot to accomplish the feat & here we are. They thought they could always control it but crazy doesn't work that way.

They made a deal with the Devil long ago and now he has them by the balls in the persona of Trump.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
its a unjust witch hunt that like all the others will go nowhere.

Tell me, do you think that, if a President solicits assistance in gathering dirt against an opponent in an upcoming election from a foreign government, that this might be something worth considering impeachment for?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

edit - spl
The divide is too big by now.
One of two "truths" will have to prevail.
1. Fox and kin
2. The actual truth.
I dont see MoscowMitch and co changing course, they are hell bent on 1. and that means number 2 has to die. That means pulling the plug on all mainstream media. Dark times ahead :).

Reactions: tweaker2

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I think the problem is that a lot of people aren't paying attention and don't care.

One of my coworkers - really nice guy - is looking at his and his wife's retirement funds grow at 10-15% year over year. He's set to retire in like 3-5 years. His thoughts on trump are "As long as the economy is doing well I don't care too much".
I think for a lot of Americans that's the sad but true case. If its not relevant to their every day life, it doesn't really register because they have a lot more to worry about. So despite the numerous geopolitical disasters and blunders caused by trump, which overall weaken our international standing I think a good number of otherwise decent people really just don't care until it hits them in their wallet. And that's when they'll wake up, see who's in charge, and kick then out of office.the evidence against trump needs to be better than good or great that would get any of his predecessors impeached. It needs to be truly and utterly damning.

I absolutely agree with this, but also feel it's short sighted to a degree. I'm sure his wife's retirement funds look great YTD, but the "roaring economy" isn't as impressive if you move that starting point back a few months and realize we're only a few points above where we were then. Unless he's completely beating the market by a significant margin, in which case I want to know his secret.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Tell me, do you think that, if a President solicits assistance in gathering dirt against an opponent in an upcoming election from a foreign government, that this might be something worth considering impeachment for?

I would add "contrary to law" to your statement.

Naturally when faced with facts then they must be diverted from.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I would add "contrary to law" to your statement.

Naturally when faced with facts then they must be diverted from.

I'm just hoping to nail down an understanding of what the basic stance he holds. Afterward we can see how that might hold up to scrutiny. But I find it impossible to discuss if there isn't a clear and consistent picture of what position is being taken. Whether or not that is the intent, I'll reserve opinion on. But I think if there is a consensus approach of establishing a clear position prior to attempting to challenge it and otherwise ignoring statements until that can be done, we wouldn't have any more problems with trolling. I don't expect others or at least everyone to follow my lead on this, but I'm resolved to that approach personally.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
They are just pissed because they can't poison the well on the front end like Barr did with the Mueller report.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Napolitano is, as he always is, wrong.

Saying the impeachment needs to be judged on the merits and not on the process carries with it the implication that the process is wrong, which we all know is incorrect. Thus, his whole premise is invalid.

robphelan

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2003
its a unjust witch hunt that like all the others will go nowhere.

should be a public hearing.

unjust?

1) there is a credible whistleblower with information that a crime / abuse of power may have been committed
2) the President released a memo basically admitting the act
3) the President's chief of staff admitted a quid pro quo in a white house briefing.. on TV
3) multiple credible witnesses, who are career professionals not political appointees, have testified in bipartisan, closed door, hearings

what is, exactly, unjust about any of that?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Republicans still batching about a process they created in 2015 for Benghazi. They should go fuck themselves.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Napolitano is, as he always is, wrong.

Saying the impeachment needs to be judged on the merits and not on the process carries with it the implication that the process is wrong, which we all know is incorrect. Thus, his whole premise is invalid.

That would be your implication but I didn't hear that at all. What matters is what happened, not Republicans trying to duke it out with Dems. A decision will be made based on the merits of the case. Napolitano has been quite open about this and it's not in support of Trump over facts.