Judge dismisses suits claiming Trump violated emoluments clause

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
There were many factors and dynamics at play, as we now know there was at least one FBI agent at critical times of the email investigation who was clearly a team Clinton partisan. When you have people trying to control a political narrative around criminal investigations, there will be inevitable leaks.

Those leaks crippled Clinton and they've crippled Trump, causing the Republicans to frantically push short term gains that will cripple and perhaps destroy the GOP as we know it in the long run.

I don't see these things as bad outcomes.
Current FBI head donated $40K to Trump campaign. I do agree on destruction of GOP and conservatism.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Current FBI head donated $40K to Trump campaign. I do agree on destruction of GOP and conservatism.
And the former AG inappropriately met with a former President and husband of the accused, with the ensuing political pressure to protect Clinton causing Comey to break protocol.

Trump and the GOP have gone to a level of unethical conduct that I've always considered inconceivable, but the Democrats are hardly a worthy consolation prize if ethics and transparency is the standard we strive for.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I'm not surprised by the judge's decision...disappointed, perhaps, but really, his decision was right...because the people suing had no legal standing. (Even if they're right...Trump is using the presidency for his personal enrichment)

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
If they lose the Senate, agenda and judicial nominees will be blocked, Trump will become a pure political liability to them with no upside, and GOP may go along with impeachment.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
It's a fundamental flaw in the constitution that the people who wrote it envisioned branches competing with each other and holding each other in check. Partisanship has become so bad at this point that Congress can no longer serve that function.

Out system is broken as parties are more important than anything else. The Dems aren't as bad, but they will misrepresent issues for agenda, as Hillary did with silencers and their potential impact if the LV shooter had one. I bring that up in case someone thinks their side is without fault. Still, the Republicans are the main culprits and I think the only thing which will fix this is a constitutional amendment completely restructuring elections, funding, and party power. Since the foxes own the chickens, that is us, I don't see this ending as I'd like.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Out system is broken as parties are more important than anything else. The Dems aren't as bad, but they will misrepresent issues for agenda, as Hillary did with silencers and their potential impact if the LV shooter had one. I bring that up in case someone thinks their side is without fault. Still, the Republicans are the main culprits and I think the only thing which will fix this is a constitutional amendment completely restructuring elections, funding, and party power. Since the foxes own the chickens, that is us, I don't see this ending as I'd like.

No arguments here. I think we both agree that both parties show symptoms of this problem, it’s just that right now one is way worse.

As for how to solve this problem I agree too in that I have no idea. It seems endemic.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
and this case is back on...

"Appeals court allows Trump emoluments case to move forward

A federal appeals court in New York on Friday ruled that a lawsuit accusing President Trump of violating the Emoluments Clause can proceed after a lower court had thrown out the case.

A panel of judges with the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals ruled 2-1 in favor of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW), which has alleged that the president violated the constitutional clause by refusing to put his business assets in a blind trust while in office and profiting off the presidency.

But the case had been dismissed by a lower court in December 2017."

the sad part here is just how politicized this decision is...

"The majority decision was written by two judges appointed by Presidents Bill Clinton and Barack Obama, while the dissenter was appointed by President George H.W. Bush."

Reactions: darkswordsman17

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Impeachment should be the absolute exception. I would rather focus on the larger issue, which is how someone so ethically compromised not only earned a nomination but also the Presidency.

Both parties literally nominated candidates that were either under or went under FBI investigation. Maybe the blind partisans are the problem.

Both sides! is so fucking tedious.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
While personal lawsuits on this always seemed like a stretch this is just another reminder that congress isn’t doing its job and is enabling corruption on a scale that’s never been seen before in US history. I was glad to see the news story yesterday how Democrats are already preparing for an impeachment fight if they win one or both houses.
Maybe in another two years when the moral outrage of most of us have caused us to lose out minds. Democrats can't govern because they lack moral spine. Every time there's government paralysis people begin to howl for Republicans to save them.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Assuming this is the same case, the Second Circuit Court of Appeals just reversed the trial court decision and reinstated the case. Hard to tell for sure because neither article gives the case name, but I know the case on appeal was brought by CREW.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
FTFY. It’s all good. I admire your diligence.

It occurred to me that I should ask if your position has changed in the meanwhile. I mean, Mar-a-Lago would be a great place for the next G7, huh? Crooked Hillary obviously would have done worse, I'm sure.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
If we sent independent swamp monster investigators to DC there'd be no one left running our government. 😇😝

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
Assuming this is the same case, the Second Circuit Court of Appeals just reversed the trial court decision and reinstated the case. Hard to tell for sure because neither article gives the case name, but I know the case on appeal was brought by CREW.

i didn't necro a random thread, the case that was in the OP was just reinstated by the appeals court, which i posted, there is no assuming about it.

this thread, "Judge dismisses suits claiming Trump violated emoluments clause", was created in Dec 2017 and per my current post "the case had been dismissed by a lower court in December 2017"

this is the same case.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
It occurred to me that I should ask if your position has changed in the meanwhile. I mean, Mar-a-Lago would be a great place for the next G7, huh? Crooked Hillary obviously would have done worse, I'm sure.
I’ve acknowledged as much in several threads. Hillary would have been a better President than Trump. The cashier at my local supermarket would be a better President than Trump. The GOP’s continued support and defense of him is inexcusable, and he has done irreparable damage to out institutions. Trump was always more corrupt, that was never in question.

She also remains the candidate capable of losing to him.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I’ve acknowledged as much in several threads. Hillary would have been a better President than Trump. The cashier at my local supermarket would be a better President than Trump. The GOP’s continued support and defense of him is inexcusable, and he has done irreparable damage to out institutions. Trump was always more corrupt, that was never in question.

She also remains the candidate capable of losing to him.

She lost the electoral college, not the vote. If you believe Bernie would have done better you're delusional. They'd have crucified that rotten old commie bastard for hating America. 2016 ushered in a whole new era of right wing propaganda & malevolent foreign influence in our elections. Having succeeded, they'll obviously be back with a more refined version in 2020.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
She lost the electoral college, not the vote. If you believe Bernie would have done better you're delusional. They'd have crucified that rotten old commie bastard for hating America. 2016 ushered in a whole new era of right wing propaganda & malevolent foreign influence in our elections. Having succeeded, they'll obviously be back with a more refined version in 2020.
I never got three points for sending the soccer ball sailing over the crossbar.

Warren owes her entire campaign to the movement started by Bernie, as does the rise of the Squad. There would be no #metoo movement. Al Franken would still be a Senator. Weinstein would still be preying on Hollywood.

Hard to say the outcome had Bernie received the nomination.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I never got three points for sending the soccer ball sailing over the crossbar.

Warren owes her entire campaign to the movement started by Bernie, as does the rise of the Squad. There would be no #metoo movement. Al Franken would still be a Senator. Weinstein would still be preying on Hollywood.

Hard to say the outcome had Bernie received the nomination.

So what? That's gross mis-attribution, rank speculation & irrelevant to your contentions about Hillary.