Judge admonished for ordering attorney fees to be paid in coupons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20100203/D9DKDP304.html
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A California judicial commission has admonished a retired judge for ordering that an attorney who settled a class-action lawsuit be paid in $10 coupons for women's apparel. The lawsuit accused Windsor Fashions Inc. of invading customers' privacy by requesting personal information during credit card transactions.

As part of the January 2009 settlement, the company issued coupons to the plaintiffs, and Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Brett Klein ordered that the attorney fee of $125,000 be paid similarly.

The Commission on Judicial Performance, which disciplines state judges, said Tuesday that Klein was biased and abusive. It also said he improperly communicated with the press by e-mailing his decision to a small newspaper.

Klein later rescinded his order to pay the attorney with coupons. He retired in November.

...I don't see anything wrong with what the judge did.

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
coupon does have cash value, usually 20th of a cent. that will be a lot of coupons!

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Maybe I'm a little biased, but I sure as hell don't work for coupons. The attorney successfully litigated a settlement that his client base accepted - meaning the defendant and the plaintiff class agreed on getting coupons (for whatever reason). That doesn't mean he agreed to work for coupons.

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
Maybe I'm a little biased, but I sure as hell don't work for coupons. The attorney successfully litigated a settlement that his client base accepted - meaning the defendant and the plaintiff class agreed on getting coupons (for whatever reason). That doesn't mean he agreed to work for coupons.

Why is a judge even involved if a settlement was negotiated? I thought usually a settlement = no trial = no rulings. :confused:

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
LOL at the parting shot of a self-loathing unsuccessful attorney.

What do you call a failed attorney? Your Honor.

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005

shit his clients wouldnt have wasted their time for coupons either.

Status
Not open for further replies.