Joystick issues

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
Hey guys,

Wanted to pick up some PS2 joysticks for my PS3 (want that so I can convert to GC for my Wii). Problem is, when I checked out some ebay auctions on PS2 to PS3 converters, they say that the converted stick would play PS3 games fine but cannot play PS2 games on a PS3. Is that true? I'm wondering why normal PS3 controllers can play PS2 games fine but this would not...

ObscureCaucasian

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2006
I have no idea what you're asking. When you say joysticks, you mean controllers right? You can't use PS2 controllers on a PS3 iirc.

inveterate

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2005
If you want Arcade stick, Only one to get, very expensive but worth it,, from play asia look up Hori arcade stick for ps3, the 90 bux one

joy stick, i don't think u want a "joystick" for ps3, joystick for flight games and even then it's NOT thatttt great, sims another story, but for arcady flight games controller better.

if ur talking about controllers ,, ps2 controllers can be used on ps3 via those converters, but they seem to have to have Analog OR else they won't work,, found this out hard way when my ps2version of hori didn't work on tekken ressurection "FUK"

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
Yeah, I want an arcade stick. Specifically, I wanted to get a PS2 arcade stick (so I can adapt it to GC for my Wii as well) to play PS2 fighting games on my PS3 but I heard that won't work...

inveterate

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2005
Originally posted by: TemjinGold
Yeah, I want an arcade stick. Specifically, I wanted to get a PS2 arcade stick (so I can adapt it to GC for my Wii as well) to play PS2 fighting games on my PS3 but I heard that won't work...

Yea i figured thats what you ment.
If You're a SERIOUS fighting gamer "like me" Best get this
<http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-...2Bps3-70-1xji.html>

Special Addition means both the arcade stick itself and the buttons are ORIGINAL Sanwa which is used on japanese arcade machines.

<http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-...ro%2B-70-1rrr.html>

This one is cheaper, but the difference here is that only the Stick is Sanwa, while the buttons are Unbrand.

To me the difference between Sanwa and Unbrand is night and day. And if you can spare the cash GET the SA. I had to buy Sanwa buttons seperately because the PS2 version of these sticks that were Special Addition/Edition were sold out. You can do the same, but price will be same if u op for the sanwa buttons later, So save urself the trouble.

What fighting game is on the Wii. I don't think u need a stick for wii.

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
The price isn't a concern as I was actually considering using this place my friend used that builds competition level sticks for ~$180. My only concern is if I get it with a PS2 plug, would it work with PS2 games on my PS3. I've heard that when playing PS2 games, you need to hit a "PS" button to initialize the controller or the game won't see it. If that is the ONLY reason PS2 sticks don't work for PS2 games, then the Pelican adaptor I read about might solve my problem as it has a PS button on it. I'm just wondering if that's the case or if there's another reason.

You are right about the GC I guess. If I were to go with a pure PS3 stick, would THAT work for PS2 fighting games too (have you tried)?

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
make your own :) the only hard part is he soldering, which really isnt that hard at all. I wonder if anyone has put up a howto for solder points for the ps3 controllers yet.

inveterate

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2005
Aight,, Ahh

YOU DON"T want to spend 180 bux, NEVER build the box urself, waste of time, unless you want art, then by all means do it.

Don't actully buy from Playasia since the shipping is more than the stick

http://high-scoreonline.com/store/

This site has everything you need. I have no experience with the PELICAN converter, but I know that MOST regular ps2 to usb converters won't work because they don't emulate the ANALOGE button function so the ps button on the ps3 controllers is probably similar in function.

Thus,, If you're trusting enough of the Pelican, Than get the HRAP 2 or HRAP for the PS2 and use the converter.

If you don't, than just get the full PS3 stick

BTW, I'd HIGHLY recommend getting the Sanwa buttons also sold on the site, u only need the 30mm buttons, the start / select buttons don't matter.

Sanwa buttons are NICE...

Ok, this guy harry chang, it takes him forever to get things done but if you bug um with emails "politely" He'll get the stuff shipped to you.

inveterate

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2005
Originally posted by: randay
make your own :) the only hard part is he soldering, which really isnt that hard at all. I wonder if anyone has put up a howto for solder points for the ps3 controllers yet.

don't give him n0ber advice, by the time you get Solder wires, the controllers figured out, + 2 hours of work. or even more if u build a box "unless u use cardboard box"

it's not worth it, just buy the HRAP

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Originally posted by: inveterate

don't give him n0ber advice, by the time you get Solder wires, the controllers figured out, + 2 hours of work. or even more if u build a box "unless u use cardboard box"

uh, its cheaper actually, you can choose your own stick, switches, and buttons such as the fine ones from cherry, and it will feel like a real arcade stick. MDF is quite cheap and feels a lot better then plastic, especially if youre a button masher like me lol. sure it takes time but in the end you end up with something youve made yourself and odds are youll save yourself 50-100 dollars as well.

inveterate

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2005

uh, its cheaper actually, you can choose your own stick, switches, and buttons such as the fine ones from cherry, and it will feel like a real arcade stick. MDF is quite cheap and feels a lot better then plastic, especially if youre a button masher like me lol. sure it takes time but in the end you end up with something youve made yourself and odds are youll save yourself 50-100 dollars as well.

WTF

10 Sanwa Buttons = $30 + Shipping
1 Sanwa AC Stick = $18 + Shipping
Generic Controller = $10 @ Ebgames
Soldering Iron + Solder (most people don't have, not worth getting if ur just making a stick)

Put that together alone u have 58 bux of an uncomplete stick. Now you put in work cutting wood, applying paint' wood finish Nails glue,

HRAP 3 for PS3 is 99bux 99 - 58 = $41

$41 does not justify the amount of work that is need in design, assembly, + tools

And in the end , what,, ur still just trying to pull off a combo.

HRAP 3 ,, No work, u buy it, flawless ,, If you op for sanwa buttons,, u just unscrew the back, the buttons are attached via quick disconnects, so you just pop old ones out and put new ones in.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006

WTF

Soldering Iron + Solder (most people don't have, not worth getting if ur just making a stick)

Put that together alone u have 58 bux of an uncomplete stick. Now you put in work cutting wood, applying paint' wood finish Nails glue,

$41 does not justify the amount of work that is need in design, assembly, + tools

HRAP 3 ,, No work, u buy it, flawless ,, If you op for sanwa buttons,, u just unscrew the back, the buttons are attached via quick disconnects, so you just pop old ones out and put new ones in.

yeah ok, just buy a stick then, either way, i really dont care enough to argue with you.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
For xbox360 I just modified the SF:AC joystick and soldered the insides of it to the inside of a wired Xbox360 controller. I already had the SF:AC joystick and was no longer usingi it on Xbox, so it really only costed me $20 for the Xbox360 controller and then some of my time.

I have a tutorial for it over on gamersreports.com if you wanna check it out.

inveterate

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2005
Originally posted by: purbeast0
For xbox360 I just modified the SF:AC joystick and soldered the insides of it to the inside of a wired Xbox360 controller. I already had the SF:AC joystick and was no longer usingi it on Xbox, so it really only costed me $20 for the Xbox360 controller and then some of my time.

I have a tutorial for it over on gamersreports.com if you wanna check it out.

errm, that joystick was crap, those buttons are horrible, I hope u switched them out. even the american buttons are ok.

I" m not a japanese fanboy, but in terms of arcade parts, Japan makes the best, "they're made in china, but at least japan got eye on build quality

inveterate

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2005

WTF

yeah ok, just buy a stick then, either way, i really dont care enough to argue with you.

Sry, if I sound Hostile, Fight game iz my current passion.

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
Guys, just calm down. Anyway, this is getting off topic. Let me clarify: I'm not here to get info on "the best stick" or anything. My main concern is if I can get a PS2 stick adapted to PS3 to work on PS2 games. I'll worry about the actual stick later. I understand that you are really passionate about them games but I really just wanna know if anyone has had luck getting PS2 games to work on a PS2 adapted stick for the PS3.

inveterate

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2005
I went to game stop for my ps3 component cable yesturday and asked the guy about the Pelican adapter thing. He said it is 99% likely to work because logically the only thing missing from a GH guitar is the analog button, and the same one u need to activate the regular ps2 controller had u used a REGULAR Usb adapter. Thus it will likely work.. GL