JoWooD Studios last hurrah? . . . GOG sale (13 games for <$25 total)

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
Sounds like JoWooD game Studios are going under, and as such, the deal GOG has to redistribute some of their older titles may go with them (JoWooD).

In light of this, GOG is having a week long sale on it's JoWooD titles - 13 games for $24 & change :

http://www.gog.com/en/promo/jowood_week_special

GOG recommends that you download/archive these offline, as they're not certain whether they'll be able to maintain these titles online once JoWooD goes under.

Here's the original announcement:

http://www.gog.com/en/news/jowood_week_long_special_promo_up_to_75_off

Last edited:

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
Am I missing something?

The 1.49$ games go up to 2.39$ if you buy them individually... is the difference between 75% and 60% so steep?

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
Am I missing something?

The 1.49$ games go up to 2.39$ if you buy them individually... is the difference between 75% and 60% so steep?

Yeah, if you buy the whole bundle you get 75% off, otherwise it's 60% off individually.

It's cheaper to buy the whole bundle versus dropping 4-6 titles (depends on titles).

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Thanks for the warning. I've been meaning to get Painkiller, I guess I'd better do it now.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
What a damn shame. Yeah, Painkiller is awesome. For $2.49 there's no excuse not to buy it.

terry107

Dec 8, 2005
I wonder what GOG is going to do about Gothic 2 and The Witcher 2 promo. I was planning on getting that one as my free gift with The Witcher 2.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I wonder what GOG is going to do about Gothic 2 and The Witcher 2 promo. I was planning on getting that one as my free gift with The Witcher 2.

Then I imagine you'll still get it free. GOG is pretty good about keeping their word.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
What would be awesome is if Piranha Bytes (the original Gothic developer) bought the rights to the Gothic series after Jowood dissolves. Then maybe we'd see a another true Gothic game! Slim chance, but you never know..

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
What would be awesome is if Piranha Bytes (the original Gothic developer) bought the rights to the Gothic series after Jowood dissolves. Then maybe we'd see a another true Gothic game! Slim chance, but you never know..

From Cook, one of the GOG Team members:
Gothic 1 is owned by Piranha Bytes which is a different and independent from JoWooD company. So it's not linked to JoWooD in any way.

So you may get your wish . . . .

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008
My wife likes Neighbors from Hell, I was hoping for another one down the road.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002

Did she play the 2nd one? It was more of the same but them being on vacation made it a bit more interesting. I know it's a silly game but I actually had some fun with it myself.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
So you may get your wish . . . .

I didn't know they owned the rights to G1. I bet that was originally published through someone else. The real question is who gets the rights to the franchise..

When I heard there was going to be an expansion to Gothic 4 I was mildly excited. G4 was halfway decent if you looked at it as an adventure game, but it can't really be compared to the original games IMO. I guess we have Risen now, but it's just not the same you know..?

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
I'm confused, didn't these guys put out Hotel Giant, a couple of transportation games and other tycoon games? I never see these offered anywhere.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I hate the way GOG does their sales with you only get the larger discount if you buy everything. They have only had a few sales where an individual game would be discounted the same amount as all of them together.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
Only interested in Painkiller, and only because I'm too lazy to wade through my old software drawer to look for my discs...I don't know if it's worth paying $4 for that though :hmm:

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
I hate the way GOG does their sales with you only get the larger discount if you buy everything. They have only had a few sales where an individual game would be discounted the same amount as all of them together.
Steam and others often do the same thing, discounting bundles more than individual products. It's just presented on GOG in a way that may make it look like you are losing a partial discount on a single product, rather than gaining a discount for the bundle. Really though, how can you complain about getting 60&#37; off?

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Steam and others often do the same thing, discounting bundles more than individual products. It's just presented on GOG in a way that may make it look like you are losing a partial discount on a single product, rather than gaining a discount for the bundle. Really though, how can you complain about getting 60% off?

I should of been more clear. I hate the way it leads you to believe something is at a larger discount then it is individually. At least with Steam bundles it shows each game and how much if any discount there is for each game.

60% is fine, but when you first see the price for it being cheaper then see it goes up when you unclick other games it kinda kills it when the cheaper price you first saw was in the, for that price I'll get it category in your mind.

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
Did she play the 2nd one? It was more of the same but them being on vacation made it a bit more interesting. I know it's a silly game but I actually had some fun with it myself.

After I read this you got me to thinking, so I went and double checked a few things.
As is common with some GOG releases, bundling is often included, so here are some extras not evident by just looking at the game pics:

Gothic 2 Gold Edition - Includes Gothic II and the expansion pack Night of the Raven
The Guild Gold Edition - Includes the original game plus its expansion pack
The Nations Gold Edition - Includes the original The Nations (also known as Alien Nations II) and the Bonus Pack
Neighbours From Hell - Includes the original Neighbours From Hell and it's sequel Neighbours from Hell 2: On Vacation
Painkiller Black Edition - Black Edition includes Painkiller and expansion pack Battle out of Hell
Spellforce Platinum - Includes the original SpellForce: The Order of Dawn and both the expansions - SpellForce: The Breath of Winter and SpellForce: Shadow of the Phoenix

So you actually get 14 games (Neighbours from Hell 2: On Vacation) and 6 expansion packs.

I'm probably going to end up picking up the whole bundle for the price, even though I already have one or two of the titles on the list, it's cheaper just to get them all.

My backlog of unplayed games is really getting big . . . .