Jon Stewart can always explain the real problems

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
He's a national treasure

Jon the guy who can really and truly tell it like it is vs Donny boy who can lie his ass off to make people believe he's telling it like it is.

No contest. There's folks out there who would like to know the truth about things thus listen to Jon and then there's folks who are desperately trying to avoid the truth about things and listen to Trump and FOX to make things easy for them to do just that.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
"When you found someone of good faith...you could always get something done."

His last comment was one of the most pertinent points, IMHO. It doesn't matter if you have policy disagreements with the 'other side', you can still come to compromises when the other side is willing to hear opinions other than their own.

Too many in congress today are living under McConnell's "No Compromise" plan. Their biggest goals are obstruction of anything progressive, and writing worthless culture war legislation.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
As I have been saying since before the 1016 election, Liberals have been campaigning on the wrong issues.

Americans no longer feel great. They are full of angst and fear. The people of the world are advancing largely to American efforts with the result that jobs have gone overseas. Americans are too soft and too well fed to compete and the political system does not serve their interests. And it's our liberal non national all inclusive liberal attitudes that have created this situation.

All that Republicans need to do to win is point to liberals as the source of the problem. They care about everybody and anybody but you. And all you have to do to stimulate this rage against the named powers that be, liberal democratic institutions, is to make sure that any adjustments to liberal policies never get a chance to work. The way to power is to blame the powers that be for your misery and claim to be an outsider as you paralyze the system.

In a system that fails to work the promise of fixes fall on deaf ears.

What democrats need to do is to identify Republicans as the real cause of the problem which is hard because it takes money to run for election and it's the one percent who has all the cash and they do not want the system made equitable. And instead of appealing to the voters who feel the most threatened they appeal to those who are the most blamed for it. Those are not the people deceived into voting for the very state of paralysis that generates all their hate. They are the ones that need help waking up, the 'conservatards' that liberals write off and make sure are sufficiently insulted to turn away form any hope of the light.

Mar 11, 2004
All I can think is how much of a shame it is that he stuck to doing his comedy news show as long as he did and didn't transition to a legit anchor calling out Republican shit seriously years ago. I think he easily could have had the clout to get one of the major networks to put him on as the news of the day, then turn around and do a night show where he was having fun with politics like the Daily Show.

We might just need that yet. I'd love a legit version of the Daily Show. I'm sure it can't happen, but imagine the early-mid 2000s Daily Show team starting their own news network, where they have serious discussions but also have fun.

Reactions: Meghan54 and Pohemi

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
I don't watch tv but this is the guy who had the news segment on comedy channel in the 90s right?

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Always enjoyed the late night stuff. He's aged quite a bit and couldn't remember if it was him. Think around operation freedom the Republicans tried to roll out their own version. I gave it a try but it was awful and quickly canceled. It makes sense; republicans have a stick so far up their ass they couldn't be funny regardless of how hard they try.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Always enjoyed the late night stuff. He's aged quite a bit and couldn't remember if it was him. Think around operation freedom the Republicans tried to roll out their own version. I gave it a try but it was awful and quickly canceled. It makes sense; republicans have a stick so far up their ass they couldn't be funny regardless of how hard they try.
Part of humor, as in relates to comedians specifically, is critiquing the existing power structures in society.... And guess who doesn't do that

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Part of humor, as in relates to comedians specifically, is critiquing the existing power structures in society.... And guess who doesn't do that

the other big problem with Republicans and humor is that political comedy requires a satirical bent on reality. Republicans have long invented a fantasy narrative about Democrats, economics, science, and all of reality, really, so when they try to make jokes from the perspective of what are truly insane fever dreams, it never makes any sense. It isn't comedy if you are joking about things that are far too preposterous to exist.

And they don't understand it. They know they aren't funny and they certainly know that their attempts at humor aren't funny because it always fucking fails (probably the liberal/woke agenda, again), but they can never understand that it is because their brains don't actually live in the real world that the rest of us live in. They never can appreciate that.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Democrats. The current group of Democrat politicians could supply 10 SNL shows with years of comedy but we get more Donald Trump retread bits.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
OK, I think I need to point out some cold hard reality here.
Saturday Night Live makes lots of money. They do that by (generally) air sketches that are funny. Funn translates to ratings which translates to ad revenue.
Donald is the biggest joke who ever lived.
It does not matter if he's out and Joe's in, Donald is wonderful fodder for improv and sketch and standup comedians.
He whines and cries constantly, thats why he's always getting attention from the real news and also propaganda networks like OAN and Fox and Breitbart.

The reason people believe the Dems are going crazy is because thats the narrative the pundits and politicians are shoveling.
If you guys ever actually sit down and watch CSPAN to see what they are really doing every day, its mostly boring horse crap. But the kind of people who watch Fox News all day do not have the free time to watch CSPAN all day.

Reactions: sandorski

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I dunno. I think the current Dems are boring as hell.

For real. Are they going to do a Klobuchar skit where she talks about economic policy while making her favorite hot dish?

I think they roast Biden pretty regularly (because he's the president and has some funny quirks), but when they try to do Harris, Pelosi, Schumer etc it just kind of falls flat because there's not a lot to latch on to.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Democrats. The current group of Democrat politicians could supply 10 SNL shows with years of comedy but we get more Donald Trump retread bits.
You realize that the existing power structures are still conservative, right?

But I'm curious as to what would amount to clever conservative humor regarding our power structures.

For example, this is a brilliant critique of our existing power structure just with the headline alone.

The BabylonBee is very hit or miss and rarely produces anything as biting as The Onion

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Gotta really love Jon Stewart bringing truth to power and beating them over the head with it. Watch Jon squeeze the snark out of the Deputy Sec of Defense. This is part of the discussion of the failed Pentagon audits which are required by law yet are still failing.

Watch Miss Prissy Pants try to condescend to Jon and he throws it back in her face.