Jon Stewart attacks Congress and rightfully so, as Republicans could not care less about 9/11 responders.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 8, 2012
Was just coming to post this. Takes some balls to refer to the 9/11 victims as a left wing mob.

Fuck Rand Paul.

Yeap, hes definitely seems like the idiot of the Paul's - I miss hearing from his dad instead of his stupid self.

While to be honest I stand by the general message of saying "Okay, if were moving funds to this where are we getting it from?" - the problem is that you had better be consistent with that instead of selectively saying it for certain things you don't want.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Yeap, hes definitely seems like the idiot of the Paul's - I miss hearing from his dad instead of his stupid self.

While to be honest I stand by the general message of saying "Okay, if were moving funds to this where are we getting it from?" - the problem is that you had better be consistent with that instead of selectively saying it for certain things you don't want.

His principles appeared to be on vacation when he voted for the tax cuts that every projection said would explode the deficit, which has since some to pass.

Nobody should entertain him as genuinely worried about government debt.

Nov 8, 2012
His principles appeared to be on vacation when he voted for the tax cuts that every projection said would explode the deficit, which has since some to pass.

Nobody should entertain him as genuinely worried about government debt.

To be fair - between my last post and this one I watched the video.... In the video he explains that he did actually put a provision in the tax bill that stated everything had to be offset with spending cuts... but that in a subsequent separate bill (that he didn't vote for) the majority of the senate 90+ (so bi-partisan - him being one that voted against it) removed his provision from the tax bill. I'm too lazy to look up the validity of that, but still I guess it's worth mentioning.

No idea if he has consistently kept up that same message over all the bills he has voted for.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
To be fair - between my last post and this one I watched the video.... In the video he explains that he did actually put a provision in the tax bill that stated everything had to be offset with spending cuts... but that in a subsequent separate bill (that he didn't vote for) the majority of the senate 90+ (so bi-partisan - him being one that voted against it) removed his provision from the tax bill. I'm too lazy to look up the validity of that, but still I guess it's worth mentioning.

No idea if he has consistently kept up that same message over all the bills he has voted for.

He's notorious for offering dead end amendments on spending but in (all, I think) cases when it aligns with GOP priorities he rolls over and votes for the spending no matter what.

Stewart was right that his fiscal conservatism is just "virtue signaling".

Reactions: darkswordsman17
Jan 25, 2011
I can't watch the video at work, so it's entirely possible that I'm missing nuances - but he *did* vote yea in the final senate vote for the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act:

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/...ote_cfm.cfm?congress=115&session=1&vote=00303
Yes because his typical MO when it comes to anything is feign concern for the impact on deficits but vote right along with anyone else if it's a GOP initiative. That anyone still falls for it and views him as a true fiscal conservative is absurd. He's fiscal for show.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Think voting against spending on blue state first responders is going to hurt him with the Kentucky electorate? Fuck no, it will help him. He could drop a nuke on NYC and win reelection for life over there.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
As much as I agreed with Jon Stewart on this issue...he's still just a comedian. Unfortunately people get their news from him.
He's less of a propaganda tool than Fox "News" is for example :D
To your comment about Al Jazeera, totally agreed, except most Americans probably don't watch it for a myriad of reasons (not all of them sane)...they'd rather watch Fox, CNN, etc

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

This was playing on a TV I was watching.

He's all crying and butthurt about being called out, then had some terrible excuses and stories how he's actually consistent in his opposition to spending and deficits.

It was completely laughable and easily disproven, but of course the Fox host barely pressed him and allowed him to continue his whining and denials.

The host did at least mention the deficit will hit a $$$$Trillion$$$$ this year, but Rand mostly gave that a hummmana hummuna routine.

What a scum bag from a state of moochers.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
This was playing on a TV I was watching.

He's all crying and butthurt about being called out, then had some terrible excuses and stories how he's actually consistent in his opposition to spending and deficits.

It was completely laughable and easily disproven, but of course the Fox host barely pressed him and allowed him to continue his whining and denials.

The host did at least mention the deficit will hit a $$$$Trillion$$$$ this year, but Rand mostly gave that a hummmana hummuna routine.

What a scum bag from a state of moochers.
The host tried to ask him several times if he voted for the final bill. Rand deflected several times and finally claimed Laffer was right because revenues went up. What a joke of a human being, and conservatives and libertarians are too stupid to see through the bullshit.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Was just coming to post this. Takes some balls to refer to the 9/11 victims as a left wing mob.

Fuck Rand Paul.

GOP logic:
"Wait...most of these guys benefitting from the fund are New Yorkers?"

[Checks to confirm that NYC is still a bastion of liberal elites and counts votes]

"Nah...fuck 'em!"

Followed by complaints of liberals and brown people "dividing the country"

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The host tried to ask him several times if he voted for the final bill. Rand deflected several times and finally claimed Laffer was right because revenues went up. What a joke of a human being, and conservatives and libertarians are too stupid to see through the bullshit.

I mean the other day Rush Limbaugh came straight out and admitted that he and the entire GOP had been lying for our whole lives about actually caring about deficits and debt. And remember, Rush literally knows large numbers of these guys!

We always knew they were lying but it's kind of amazing that one of their biggest mouthpieces felt so confident in the strength of partisanship that he could simply admit to his audience that he and all Republican politicians had been lying to them for years.

How many years have people tried to scare everybody about the deficit? The years, how many decades of politicians tried to scare us about deficit the national debt, the deficit, any number of things. And yet, here we're still here and the great jaws of the deficit have not bitten off our heads and chewed them up and spit them out.

Rush Limbaugh. Rush Fucking Limbaugh, the guy who spent years trying to scare everyone about the deficit, wants you to know that people trying to scare you about the deficit were all liars.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

I am sorry he knows his amendment would have no practical value. It was just grand standing bullshit.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I mean the other day Rush Limbaugh came straight out and admitted that he and the entire GOP had been lying for our whole lives about actually caring about deficits and debt. And remember, Rush literally knows large numbers of these guys!

We always knew they were lying but it's kind of amazing that one of their biggest mouthpieces felt so confident in the strength of partisanship that he could simply admit to his audience that he and all Republican politicians had been lying to them for years.

Rush Limbaugh. Rush Fucking Limbaugh, the guy who spent years trying to scare everyone about the deficit, wants you to know that people trying to scare you about the deficit were all liars.
Oh I have no doubt that he will go right back to crowing about the deficit the second a Democrat is back in the WH. His listeners won't care either because they all have memories like goldfish. When confronted with this quote, it will be dismissed as fake news.

Nov 8, 2012
I am sorry he knows his amendment would have no practical value. It was just grand standing bullshit.

Probably. Not going to disagree with you there. If you're serious about pricing in a bill then do it in the actual fuckin' bill instead of "bill you later" notice.

tiggers

Sep 16, 2008
Why single out just the repubs? Dems are guilty of it as well. But they do appreciate your focus on the repubs, only.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Stewart looks like he's thinking "what a dick".

Jon Stewart's face as Mitch McConnell walks by him is priceless

uploads%252Fcard%252Fimage%252F1019671%252Ffa0d117b-ad99-4f2a-bc93-7c478136c082.png%252F950x534__filters%253Aquality%252880%2529.png

https://mashable.com/article/jon-stewart-mitch-mcconnell-september-11-victim-compensation-fund/

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Anyone get the feeling that, if we knew the whole story, Rand's neighbor was almost certainly in the right to beat his ass last year?

Dude seems like a total dickhole.