Joko Ono gives Gaga a peace prize.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
In a startling move Joko Ono gave Baby Gaga a peace prize for a meat dress or puking on stage or something. I'm happy to see that peace activists like Mrs. Lennon are still showing how indispensable they are to the peace movement.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/yoko-ono-awards-lady-gaga-peace-prize-iceland-221608895.html

REYKJAVIK (Reuters) - Pop star Lady Gaga was awarded a peace prize by Yoko Ono in a ceremony in Iceland on Tuesday.

Peace activist Ono said the LennonOno Grant for Peace, established in the name of her late husband, former Beatle John Lennon, rewarded Lady Gaga for combining stardom with activism and changing "the mental map" of the world.

"Lady Gaga is in a position of number one as a singer songwriter," Ono told Reuters Television. "And when you are number one you don't want to risk yourself. And she did."

Grammy-winning Lady Gaga, who shot to fame with her debut album "The Fame" in 2008, accepted the puzzle-shaped award in Reykjavik along with a monetary prize that she said she will give to the Elton John AIDS Foundation

Gaga said she would continue to "communicate compassionately to the world and its leaders," and dedicated the award to "youth empowerment around the world."

"I dare you to be compassionate in a cynical age," she added.

Last month, at an event in New York City, Yoko Ono awarded the prize to the members of Pussy Riot. Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, Maria Alyokhina and Yekaterina Samutsevich were sentenced to two years in jail in Russia for staging a "punk prayer" in Moscow's main cathedral.

Tolokonnikova's husband accepted the grant on behalf of the three women.

This year's winners of the prize also included peace activist Rachel Corrie, killed on the Gaza strip in 2003, "Confessions of an Economic Hit Man" author John Perkins and the late journalist Christopher Hitchens.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
I'll bet both of em voted for the obama..numerous times.

images

Why yes I'll have a piece... that cake looks delicious!

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
I've been supremely unimpressed by both of these women's contributions to music.

Now I'm supremely unimpressed by their contributions to our political discourse too.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
In a startling move Joko Ono gave Baby Gaga a peace prize for a meat dress or puking on stage or something. I'm happy to see that peace activists like Mrs. Lennon are still showing how indispensable they are to the peace movement.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/yoko-ono-awards-lady-gaga-peace-prize-iceland-221608895.html

Poor baby. Monovillage doesn't like Yoko Ono. And he doesn't like Lady Gaga. And he doesn't like their political beliefs. And how dare Yoko award peace prizes! So upsetting. So Monovillage, like the mature intellectual he always is, mocks Yoko's name and mocks Gaga's name.

Monovillage is such a class act.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Poor baby. Monovillage doesn't like Yoko Ono. And he doesn't like Lady Gaga. And he doesn't like their political beliefs. And how dare Yoko award peace prizes! So upsetting. So Monovillage, like the mature intellectual he always is, mocks Yoko's name and mocks Gaga's name.

Take yourself too seriously much shira?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Conservatives are big on disgust. Unfortunately, when folk who are big on disgust go into action radiating their disgust, they make others feel disgust too. This doesn't work out too well for them because other folk then do what they did. They find those disgusted people who made them feel that disgust disgusting.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004

If only poor mono had half the talent of the people he mocks...

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Take yourself too seriously much shira?

Well, he kind of summed up what seems to be the entire point of this thread pretty accurately, didn't he?

Oh yeah, I get it. This is a "joke" like the Obama eats dog thread. Of course, there is a pattern to your so-called "jokes."

Anyway, yeah, we get that you don't like liberals. Why not just type that out 600 times? That ought to cover it for awhile.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Well, he kind of summed up what seems to be the entire point of this thread pretty accurately, didn't he?

Oh yeah, I get it. This is a "joke" like the Obama eats dog thread. Of course, there is a pattern to your so-called "jokes."

Anyway, yeah, we get that you don't like liberals. Why not just type that out 600 times? That ought to cover it for awhile.

Because there's nothing funny in typing out I don't respect liberals, but if you don't see the humor in Yoko Ono presenting a peace price to Lady Gaga then you have a humor deficiency.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Because there's nothing funny in typing out I don't respect liberals, but if you don't see the humor in Yoko Ono presenting a peace price to Lady Gaga then you have a humor deficiency.

Not really, no. I'm not that familiar with Lady Gaga other than knowing she's a pop singer with an odd sartorial flare. I have no idea if her political activism is worthy of recognition or not, much less whether the fact that she receives an award is inherently humorous or not. Do you find it funny because Lady Gaga seems odd?

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Not really, no. I'm not that familiar with Lady Gaga other than knowing she's a pop singer with an odd sartorial flare. I have no idea if her political activism is worthy of recognition or not, much less whether the fact that she receives an award is inherently humorous or not. Do you find it funny because Lady Gaga seems odd?

Several things struck me as funny. Yoko Ono is really only famous because she married John Lennon. Yeah, she was a minor celeb in the art world, but she took the money and fame from Lennon and ran with the celeb notoriety. Lady Gaga is to music what Madonna is to acting. Combine them both and include a "peace prize" such as the Nobel and it's bizarre in a hilarious way. You may not share my sense of humor, you may think Yoko Ono is a great ....a great ...... something or another and that Lady Gaga is a talented entertainer and that it wasn't funny. It's OK, it doesn't hurt my feelings.

I see the 2 of them and think Paris Hilton and the Kardashians.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Several things struck me as funny. Yoko Ono is really only famous because she married John Lennon. Yeah, she was a minor celeb in the art world, but she took the money and fame from Lennon and ran with the celeb notoriety. Lady Gaga is to music what Madonna is to acting. Combine them both and include a "peace prize" such as the Nobel and it's bizarre in a hilarious way. You may not share my sense of humor, you may think Yoko Ono is a great ....a great ...... something or another and that Lady Gaga is a talented entertainer and that it wasn't funny. It's OK, it doesn't hurt my feelings.

How sad. I don't think about any of them ever.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999

If only it were so easy to be funny. I would already be a millionaire comedian if so.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
It's like kids who belong to a neighborhood treehouse club giving each other prizes for spitting the furthest and farting the loudest. It is self-congratulatory; not much to see here.