Jointer - Which One?

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I think I've finally convinced myself I need a jointer, but I'm stuck on which would be best for me and if I would be wasting a lot of money.

I'm currently in the middle (well, more like the start) of a couple of projects - one is an L-shaped desk and one is a dining table. Both projects have long boards (between 53" and 76"), and various widths (dining table wood is mostly 7.5", desk has some less than 6", and four at 11", but I will likely rip the 11" down the middle as it would look better in the layout I have for the desks). All reclaimed wood, and all need some degree of dimensioning.

I've gotten by pretty well with an adjustable planer sled that I built - I managed to plane the wood for the 53" portion of the L-shaped desk, which consisted of two of the 11" wide pieces. It was cumbersome and heavy, but I did it and the results were great. Now it's time to flatten the edges, and I tried to get by with my router and a flush-trim spiral bit but that was a disaster, and setup was a long process.

So now I'm thinking a jointer is necessary. I originally wanted to set a budget of $600. The Grizzly G0813 looks good, but they're backordered and I've heard of people waiting months to get theirs - I want this within a matter of weeks if not days.

That points me in the direction of more expensive jointers, and I feel OK increasing my budget to $1000. I should admit I'm a very novice woodworker, but at some point I'd like to turn it into a hobby that generates some income. I currently have a single-car garage which is ~12' x 30' that is also my "shop". With my car parked in there, I certainly have the room for an 8" jointer (72" W x 28" D), so space isn't a major issue, but I would need to move it around so a mobile base is mandatory. I could even expand into my basement (i.e. just put the jointer in there) but I'd be worried about dust with my furnace/water heater as it's not a huge/divided basement.

Everyone seems to think that a 6" jointer only leads to regret and an 8" jointer, and I hate putting in the effort to sell things so I rarely do it. I'm the type of person who likes to buy a step or two down from the best, and only buy it once.

I could probably get by with the 6" and be happy with it, as there are ways of making it work for wider boards especially considering I also have a planer.

I searched Craigslist but in my area there are only old benchtop models for $150-300, with some nice larger and 8" machines going for upwards of $800-900 - but I'd have to rent a truck and get a friend, and make a 1-2 hour drive each way.

That said, and if you've made it this far... what would be your recommendation? I realize I would need to get 220V wired to my garage for an 8", which simply opens up into the basement so the run to the main panel would be less than 15', but I have been wanting to add a bunch of extra outlets as I only have two at the moment.

Besides Grizzly, I'm also looking at Powermatic and Jet, but I think my $1k budget would only get me a 6" from those brands, though I could get it with a long bed and/or spiral cutterhead. I don't anticipate changing the cutting depth (I'd likely set it at 1/32" and forget it) so dovetail/parallelogram ways really don't matter to me.

Thanks in advance!

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
i think i would rather have a spiral or insert type cutter head than an 8 vs 6 in

what planer do you have?

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
I am in the same boat. Thought that I was going to get by with planer only. Smaller pieces can be jointed on the router, but for 72" pieces it is tough. 8 incher needs a lot of room.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
true bigi... my last bigger project was covering a post and beam with 1x blue stain pine. I found an 8 foot piece of 3 in aluminum angle at an auction for a few bucks and used it with a router for jointing the edges for glue up. joint one edge this way, and then run through the table saw to make the other parallel. i glued and pocket screwed the whole thing together to make 2 20 foot long 10 in high boards for the sides of the beam, installed these, fasteneing to the top of the beam only, and then I rabbited both sides of the bottom board to fill the bottom in place.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
i think i would rather have a spiral or insert type cutter head than an 8 vs 6 in

what planer do you have?

Yeah, the spiral cutterhead is certainly high up on the list if possible, though I could always add it later, but I can't add the extra width.

I have the DW734. I've considered adding a Shelix head but it's hard to swallow the cost - it's as much as a brand new planer! My original knives still have some lift left in them and leave a nice, smooth surface.

I am in the same boat. Thought that I was going to get by with planer only. Smaller pieces can be jointed on the router, but for 72" pieces it is tough. 8 incher needs a lot of room.

Jigs and workarounds can only get you so far. As a novice, I feel like I'm also tempting fate by trying to work with these long, wide boards without the proper equipment.

I've thought about it most of the day and I can certainly justify the 6" in more ways than the 8", and I won't have to rush to wire a subpanel for my garage.

It's pretty much between these three at this point, but seeing as how the Grizzly is backordered I may have to pony up for the Jet or Powermatic. At least the latter two come with longer tables.

Grizzly G0813
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-6-Jointer-with-Knock-Down-Stand/G0813

Jet JJ-6CSDX
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/jet-6-deluxe-jointer-with-qs-knives-model-jj-6csdx?via=573621bd69702d0676000002,5797ca6769702d0da200058a,5763ff4869702d3ae30009de

Powermatic 54A
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/powermatic-6-jointer-w-qs-knives-model-54a?via=573621bd69702d0676000002,5797ca6769702d0da200058a,5763ff4869702d3ae30009de

EDIT:
The Grizzly G0452Z would be nice too. $1k for 6" and spiral cutterhead, but 46" tables. Building extensions wouldn't be bad. Too bad it's backordered as well. I'll have to contact them and see when new stock is expected.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-6-X-46-Jointer-w-Spiral-Cutterhead/G0452Z

Last edited:

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
There is also Wen for $302. I have drill press and belt sander from Wen and both have worked great.

Wen @ HD

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
heh, that wen is a small bench top. nearly useless.

https://www.cpooutlets.com/jet-708457dxk-6-in--long-bed-jointer/jetn708457dxk,default,pd.html

there is this jet long bed on cpo tools as well.

and the jet with the helical head for 1300...

http://www.equipmentsalesandsurplus.com/product_p/708466dxk.htm

looks like woodcraft as the laguna with helical for about 1300 as well.

I don't think the 734 is worth upgrading. the 735 is though. i keep looking at the cutech planers, when i need one i borrow my brother inlaws 734 right now.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
heh, that wen is a small bench top. nearly useless.

https://www.cpooutlets.com/jet-708457dxk-6-in--long-bed-jointer/jetn708457dxk,default,pd.html

there is this jet long bed on cpo tools as well.

and the jet with the helical head for 1300...

http://www.equipmentsalesandsurplus.com/product_p/708466dxk.htm

looks like woodcraft as the laguna with helical for about 1300 as well.

I don't think the 734 is worth upgrading. the 735 is though. i keep looking at the cutech planers, when i need one i borrow my brother inlaws 734 right now.

$1300 for the Jet with helical head is a great deal; the 6" Grizzly with helical head and a shorter table is ~$1k. I'll sleep on it for a few days and take the weekend to consider.

Reactions: herm0016

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
The only advice I can offer you is that I've never heard anyone complain that a tool was to good. If it's going to be something you use to make a living with, get the best you can afford.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
You're absolutely right, Greenman.

I don't like feeling like I've missed out or made the wrong decision. I'm now looking at 8" jointers and the Jet/Powermatic are out of my price range, as I'm now completely set on getting one with a helical head.

Grizzly has one or two in stock for around $1400-1600, plus shipping, which is what I'd expect to pay for a 6" Jet with helical heads - I have a 10% coupon code from Grizzly too, which almost completely offets the shipping cost. I came across Shop Fox, which seems to be the retail division of Grizzly. The W1751S is identical to the G0490x. I'll think about it more.

The only thing turning me off from an 8" is the weight - at ~550lbs. it's a beast. I don't plan on staying in my home for longer than a couple of years, so I'd have to go through the hassle of moving a massive jointer - but with a few friends it's probably not bad at all as the table can be easily removed. At least this would force me to go ahead and get a subpanel wired in my garage, since if I bought a 6" model I'd probably just keep putting it off and stick to using heavy gauge extension cords.

Can you tell I hate making decisions? :eek:

drnickriviera

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
Do you have a grizzly showroom where you can see it? I bought an old grizzy shaper and it is so so. I'd imagine things are of better quality than the mid 90's though

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
You're absolutely right, Greenman.

I don't like feeling like I've missed out or made the wrong decision. I'm now looking at 8" jointers and the Jet/Powermatic are out of my price range, as I'm now completely set on getting one with a helical head.

Grizzly has one or two in stock for around $1400-1600, plus shipping, which is what I'd expect to pay for a 6" Jet with helical heads - I have a 10% coupon code from Grizzly too, which almost completely offets the shipping cost. I came across Shop Fox, which seems to be the retail division of Grizzly. The W1751S is identical to the G0490x. I'll think about it more.

The only thing turning me off from an 8" is the weight - at ~550lbs. it's a beast. I don't plan on staying in my home for longer than a couple of years, so I'd have to go through the hassle of moving a massive jointer - but with a few friends it's probably not bad at all as the table can be easily removed. At least this would force me to go ahead and get a subpanel wired in my garage, since if I bought a 6" model I'd probably just keep putting it off and stick to using heavy gauge extension cords.

Can you tell I hate making decisions? :eek:
I go through this all the time. The difference being that since all of my tools have to be portable, they generally cost under a thousand bucks. But I have a shit ton of them. The only time I ever regret my purchases is when I compromise on quality, and that hasn't happened for a long time.