John Stewart's Zinger Last Night

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Originally posted by: winnar111

What a completely reasonable argument. Someone that shared Kerry's opposition to the war was disrespectful to a soldier. When this is balanced against his numerous awards for heroism and being wounded in battle for America, it's about even. I would question his patriotism too... I mean what's a silver star really worth when someone you don't even know in the same crowd spits at a guy?

Thank you for summing up how the American people felt in 2004.

Oh really? You speak for the American people now eh? I love how morons across the political spectrum like to try and tell me what "the American people" think about things. A hint to everyone out there: when you hear the phrase "the American people think..." you're about to hear a load of horseshit.

No, the American people spoke for themselves, 286 to 252.

I have no idea why you're being obtuse and arguing about something that already happened.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

What a completely reasonable argument. Someone that shared Kerry's opposition to the war was disrespectful to a soldier. When this is balanced against his numerous awards for heroism and being wounded in battle for America, it's about even. I would question his patriotism too... I mean what's a silver star really worth when someone you don't even know in the same crowd spits at a guy?

Oh really? You speak for the American people now eh? I love how morons across the political spectrum like to try and tell me what "the American people" think about things. A hint to everyone out there: when you hear the phrase "the American people think..." you're about to hear a load of horseshit.

I have no idea why you're being obtuse and arguing about something that already happened.

Let me walk you though this boy genius, the topic wasn't if Kerry lost or not, it's if Americans thought that he was insufficiently patriotic and that's why he lost. I don't really expect an answer from you on the subject by the way. I was just trying to show you how retarded the statement you said was. I guess you can lead a horse to water, eh?

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008

Let me walk you though this boy genius, the topic wasn't if Kerry lost or not, it's if Americans thought that he was insufficiently patriotic and that's why he lost. I don't really expect an answer from you on the subject by the way. I was just trying to show you how retarded the statement you said was. I guess you can lead a horse to water, eh?

No, the topic was why Democrats are forced to prove their patriotism.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Born2bwire
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Well gee, now you've covered 1 person on each side...care to explain the ridiculous position you people take on the other 99.99999% of liberals and conservatives?

And not to diminish the sacrifice McCain made, but how does being a PoW make you a patriot? Or rather, what's special about it that serving in the armed forces in a war doesn't convey on you? Kerry served in Vietnam, and was wounded for his trouble, and that didn't stop Republicans from attacking his patriotism.

True, but then he came back and started organizing Vietnam protests.
Ha, that's the most ridiculous excuse I've ever heard.

Kerry lost, didn't he? That 'excuse' is reality.

Of course! Because the whole election only concerned itself with the fact that Kerry served his country and exercised his rights to make this country what he felt would be a better place. It certainly wasn't his place to protest or even have an opinion on the war, not like he experienced it or anything.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Well that makes your previous responses at best a poorly correlated smear attempt and at worst completely nonsensical. You're not very good at this are you?

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008

Well that makes your previous responses at best a poorly correlated smear attempt and at worst completely nonsensical. You're not very good at this are you?

No, that makes my response the proper answer to the question:

Democrats are forced to prove their patriotism because they associate with people who are considered unpatriotic or engage in conduct that is considered unpatriotic. Republicans do not.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Democrats are forced to prove their patriotism because they associate with people who are considered unpatriotic or engage in conduct that is considered unpatriotic. Republicans do not.

Kerry's electoral results have nothing to do with this topic unless you can show some causative link between the two... which you haven't bothered to do. As far as having to prove your patriotism because of some (incredibly) loose association with people you consider 'unpatriotic', that's bullshit.

The real reason (as Rainsford put so well) is that the Republican form of patriotism is like a small child's. To be honest though, I think the Republican brand is more like a dog. You can never doubt your dog loves you because it has complete, slavish devotion to you. It's the kind of devotion that you would find pathetic or creepy in an adult, but in a dog it's endearing. The fact that Democrats love their country, but are willing to speak up when it messes up is an adult way to love something. This less than complete drooling jingoism when compared to Republicans is what causes it, not some sort of ridiculous other association.

If you take a minute or two and look back, you'll see Republicans have been attempting to paint Democrats as insufficiently patriotic for at least 60 years. Now either the Democrats have consistently nominated America haters for more then half a century, or it's a standard act from the Republican playbook. Which do you think is more likely?

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008

Kerry's electoral results have nothing to do with this topic unless you can show some causative link between the two... which you haven't bothered to do. As far as having to prove your patriotism because of some (incredibly) loose association with people you consider 'unpatriotic', that's bullshit.

The real reason (as Rainsford put so well) is that the Republican form of patriotism is like a small child's. To be honest though, I think the Republican brand is more like a dog. You can never doubt your dog loves you because it has complete, slavish devotion to you. It's the kind of devotion that you would find pathetic or creepy in an adult, but in a dog it's endearing. The fact that Democrats love their country, but are willing to speak up when it messes up is an adult way to love something. This less than complete drooling jingoism when compared to Republicans is what causes it, not some sort of ridiculous other association.

If you take a minute or two and look back, you'll see Republicans have been attempting to paint Democrats as insufficiently patriotic for at least 60 years. Now either the Democrats have consistently nominated America haters for more then half a century, or it's a standard act from the Republican playbook. Which do you think is more likely?

Actually, Rainsford brought up Kerry. Try reading the thread.

Please explain when the GOP attacked Gore in 2000, Clinton in 1996, or Carter in 1980, about their patriotism. Or even Truman in 1948.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

Thank you for making Jon Stewart's point. Not all Republicans and Democrats are exactly alike, yet you are willing to judge their patriotism based on NOTHING besides the letter next to their name on the ballot. You assume a complete assclown is a patriot because he's a Republican, or that a soldier who served in a war is not simply because they belong to a particular party. I'm not sure how you can say that without feeling extremely stupid, but in any case I think that's the mindset Stewart was complaining about. Democrats don't do anything as a whole group, any more than Republicans do, "they" is a word used by people trying to trick you into believing something that's probably a load of crap. It's basically a slightly more intelligent beer commercial, yet people are dumb enough to believe it. Of course YOU do because you're a Republican so you WANT to believe that voting that way proves you're a patriot, but it's still a pretty mind boggling thing the Republicans have managed to foist on the public.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Carmen813
I nearly choked on my glass of water, my wife and I were cracking up.

You can view what I'm talking about at Dailyshow.com, watch the clip titled "Michele Obama's Patriotism"

Anyway I thought it was an interesting point, why are dems constantly forced to 'prove' their patriotism while its automatically assumed for republicans?

*EDIT* The line I'm referring to is around the 4:10 mark.

Because candidate A was a PoW for 5 years, and candidate B hangs around with the race baiting Goddamn America crowd?

And its not just them.

http://www.ndtv.com/convergenc...px?id=NEWEN20080044838

"I think it would be a great thing if we had an election year where you had two people who loved this country and were devoted to the interests of this country," he told a group of veterans on Friday in Charlotte, North Carolina.

He added, "people could actually ask themselves who is right on these issues, instead of all this other stuff that always seems to intrude itself on our politics."

Clinton was apparently referring to his wife and McCain, leaving Obama out in the cold.

Well gee, now you've covered 1 person on each side...care to explain the ridiculous position you people take on the other 99.99999% of liberals and conservatives?

And not to diminish the sacrifice McCain made, but how does being a PoW make you a patriot? Or rather, what's special about it that serving in the armed forces in a war doesn't convey on you? Kerry served in Vietnam, and was wounded for his trouble, and that didn't stop Republicans from attacking his patriotism.

I don't recall George Bush attacking Gore's patriotism in 2000. The Democrats made the choice of nominating people of questionable character the last 2 times around, in 2008 and 2004.

Which brings up the other topic, the fact that Republicans define patriotism like you're writing a pickup truck commercial. If we're going to talk about patriotism and character, I think the man who fights in a war and then speaks out against it has more of both than the man who supports a war yet refused to fight in it while better men die for his beliefs.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

I don't recall George Bush attacking Gore's patriotism in 2000. The Democrats made the choice of nominating people of questionable character the last 2 times around, in 2008 and 2004.

Yeah, how dare he protest against a war! Sure he was awarded the second highest award for bravery possible and was repeatedly wounded fighting for America, but I mean really... it was hard to tell if he was patriotic or not. He did protest some afterall.

Also, how DARE the Democrats nominate people of questionable character! I mean Obama was a serial adulterer with his first disabled wife and was part of the Keating 5 scandal. I mean, how much scummier can you get?

.... That was Obama and not McCain right? Right? It couldn't be McCain, because he was a POW.

Well, given that some of those protestors were spitting on soldiers, yeah, people weren't too happy about that.

I think you mean, thank you for summing up how slightly more than half the American people felt in 2004.

You Republicans always talk about the American people like we all got together and elected winnar111 to speak for us. I don't remember that meeting, personally, but if you say so :roll:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Actually, Rainsford brought up Kerry. Try reading the thread.

Please explain when the GOP attacked Gore in 2000, Clinton in 1996, or Carter in 1980, about their patriotism. Or even Truman in 1948.

I never said that you originally brought up Kerry, what I said was you said stupid things about Kerry that you weren't supporting. And I was right.

I'm not sure if you are too young to remember or too ignorant to pay attention, but George H.W. Bush used an almost identical attack on Clinton that his son used on Kerry. Clinton was also an anti-war protester during Vietnam, and Bush attacked his patriotism in 1992. (he even used the same sort of line that GWB used in 2004 where he claimed he wasn't questioning his patriotism... even as he questioned it.) Link here.

The same thing happened in 1988 with Dukakis. Link here.

Reagan used the classic "I'm not questioning his patriotism I'm questioning his judgment" line on Mondale in 1984, they used it on McGovern, etc... etc. It's not really disputable, Republicans have used attacking Democrats' patriotism as a standard campaign tactic for a long time.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008

Thank you for making Jon Stewart's point. Not all Republicans and Democrats are exactly alike, yet you are willing to judge their patriotism based on NOTHING besides the letter next to their name on the ballot. You assume a complete assclown is a patriot because he's a Republican, or that a soldier who served in a war is not simply because they belong to a particular party. I'm not sure how you can say that without feeling extremely stupid, but in any case I think that's the mindset Stewart was complaining about. Democrats don't do anything as a whole group, any more than Republicans do, "they" is a word used by people trying to trick you into believing something that's probably a load of crap. It's basically a slightly more intelligent beer commercial, yet people are dumb enough to believe it. Of course YOU do because you're a Republican so you WANT to believe that voting that way proves you're a patriot, but it's still a pretty mind boggling thing the Republicans have managed to foist on the public.

No, their patriotism is judged based on their behavior, not the letter by their name.

George Bush didn't organize Vietnam protests. George Bush didn't try to cut funding to our troops. George Bush didn't go to a church full of race baiters who bash this country. George Bush didn't try to stop kids from reciting the pledge. George Bush didn't claim that he's not proud of America.

It's not every Democrat who gets this treatment; just the ones that participate in above actions.

I'm amused to think your high horse party is any different, because its not like Howard Dean didn't try it.

"Because John Ashcroft touts the Patriot Act around the country does not mean John Ashcroft is a patriot,"

You're just upset that nobody takes your party seriously.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

No, their patriotism is judged based on their behavior, not the letter by their name.

George Bush didn't organize Vietnam protests. George Bush didn't try to cut funding to our troops. George Bush didn't go to a church full of race baiters who bash this country. George Bush didn't try to stop kids from reciting the pledge. George Bush didn't claim that he's not proud of America.

It's not every Democrat who gets this treatment; just the ones that participate in above actions.

I'm amused to think your high horse party is any different, because its not like Howard Dean didn't try it.

"Because John Ashcroft touts the Patriot Act around the country does not mean John Ashcroft is a patriot,"

I get the feeling that you're pretty young. You're just talking about elections that you don't remember and have never read much about. You're simply wrong, Republicans nearly always question the patriotism of their Democratic opponents. I don't blame them, it seems to work, but you should at least acknowledge reality.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004

Rove. Cheney. Limbaugh. Everyone a Chicken Hawk who failed to serve in the military, but will willingly send others off to fight and die for their own political profit.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008

I get the feeling that you're pretty young. You're just talking about elections that you don't remember and have never read much about. You're simply wrong, Republicans nearly always question the patriotism of their Democratic opponents. I don't blame them, it seems to work, but you should at least acknowledge reality.

So why didn't they question Gore's patriotism in 2000? It's a specific tactic used on specific candidates.

Do you think the GOP would be able to successfully bash Wesley Clark for being unpatriotic?

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004

George W. Bush supported the VietNam war from a comfortable stateside berth in the Texas Air National Guard. He played "Fighter Pilot" in complete safety while better men fought and died in the war he supported but would not serve in himself. He did, however, learn to look good in a flight suit on the Abraham Lincoln, making political hay of his brave "carrier landing" (in the passenger seat of an S-3). He also became the subject of Karl Rove's man crush, paving the way to W's brilliant political career.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe

George W. Bush supported the VietNam war from a comfortable stateside berth in the Texas Air National Guard. He played "Fighter Pilot" in complete safety while better men fought and died in the war he supported but would not serve in himself. He did, however, learn to look good in a flight suit on the Abraham Lincoln, making political hay of his brave "carrier landing" (in the passenger seat of an S-3). He also became the subject of Karl Rove's man crush, paving the way to W's brilliant political career.

I guess all that didn't matter much, did it?

Life's not fair! :laugh:

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Nope. Just another typical Republican and the patriotism, service and self-sacrifice for which you worship them.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

So why didn't they question Gore's patriotism in 2000? It's a specific tactic used on specific candidates.

Do you think the GOP would be able to successfully bash Wesley Clark for being unpatriotic?

Uhmm, maybe look up Marc Racicot? IN 2000 the Republicans accused Clinton and Gore of treason for selling technology to China. Did you really expect me to go through and link to articles for every single Democratic candidate for 60 years? Go read up on it yourself.

Even if there were a candidate or two that the Republicans didn't attack on their patriotism, it wouldn't do much to the larger point that it is a preferred electoral strategy of theirs.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

I'm upset because you have a childish view of patriotism while at the same time having an incredibly big ego about your party being "patriotic". I can handle criticism, even of my patriotism, but it's a little hard to take from someone, or a group of people, so singularly unsuitable to provide it.

And while I find treating parties like sports teams, I would like to point out that the fact that "my" party just beat "your" party into the ground in congressional elections (and looks poised to do it again), I'd say plenty of people take us seriously. I suspect you're just upset because your speaking for the American people act sounds like even less believable than it used to.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

I wouldn't exactly be celebrating your lack of taste and/or brainpower, there, Ace. The fact that Bush was the prefered candidate, twice, of you faux-patriots makes me think that, for all the times you use the word, you might not really know what it means.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008

I wouldn't exactly be celebrating your lack of taste and/or brainpower, there, Ace. The fact that Bush was the prefered candidate, twice, of you faux-patriots makes me think that, for all the times you use the word, you might not really know what it means.

I'm glad we elected Rainsford to define what a faux-patriot is!