John Stewart's Zinger Last Night

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: winnar111
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe
George Bush didn't organize Vietnam protests. George Bush didn't try to cut funding to our troops. George Bush didn't go to a church full of race baiters who bash this country. George Bush didn't try to stop kids from reciting the pledge. George Bush didn't claim that he's not proud of America.

George W. Bush supported the VietNam war from a comfortable stateside berth in the Texas Air National Guard. He played "Fighter Pilot" in complete safety while better men fought and died in the war he supported but would not serve in himself. He did, however, learn to look good in a flight suit on the Abraham Lincoln, making political hay of his brave "carrier landing" (in the passenger seat of an S-3). He also became the subject of Karl Rove's man crush, paving the way to W's brilliant political career.

I guess all that didn't matter much, did it?

Life's not fair! :laugh:

I wouldn't exactly be celebrating your lack of taste and/or brainpower, there, Ace. The fact that Bush was the prefered candidate, twice, of you faux-patriots makes me think that, for all the times you use the word, you might not really know what it means.

I'm glad we elected Rainsford to define what a faux-patriot is!

Unlike you, I don't need to hide behind the claim that "the American people" have my back. My views on patriotism are all my own, and I honestly don't care if you or anyone else shares them with me. So I'm OK saying that, in my opinion, you wouldn't know real patriotism if it was standing right in front of you. And if I was you, I'd be embarrassed that the Republicans suckered me in with a beer commercial interpretation of what should be a very highly regarded quality.

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe
George Bush didn't organize Vietnam protests. George Bush didn't try to cut funding to our troops. George Bush didn't go to a church full of race baiters who bash this country. George Bush didn't try to stop kids from reciting the pledge. George Bush didn't claim that he's not proud of America.

George W. Bush supported the VietNam war from a comfortable stateside berth in the Texas Air National Guard. He played "Fighter Pilot" in complete safety while better men fought and died in the war he supported but would not serve in himself. He did, however, learn to look good in a flight suit on the Abraham Lincoln, making political hay of his brave "carrier landing" (in the passenger seat of an S-3). He also became the subject of Karl Rove's man crush, paving the way to W's brilliant political career.

I guess all that didn't matter much, did it?

Life's not fair! :laugh:

I wouldn't exactly be celebrating your lack of taste and/or brainpower, there, Ace. The fact that Bush was the prefered candidate, twice, of you faux-patriots makes me think that, for all the times you use the word, you might not really know what it means.

I'm glad we elected Rainsford to define what a faux-patriot is!

Unlike you, I don't need to hide behind the claim that "the American people" have my back. My views on patriotism are all my own, and I honestly don't care if you or anyone else shares them with me. So I'm OK saying that, in my opinion, you wouldn't know real patriotism if it was standing right in front of you. And if I was you, I'd be embarrassed that the Republicans suckered me in with a beer commercial interpretation of what should be a very highly regarded quality.

YEAH AND STUFF!!!

Stop Rainsfording on his parade.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Patriotism is kind of like religious faith. Braggarts talk the talk, but the true faithful walk the walk.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Jon Stewart's joke was hilarious, but the sad part is that, in it's essence, it's true.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Carmen813
I nearly choked on my glass of water, my wife and I were cracking up.

You can view what I'm talking about at Dailyshow.com, watch the clip titled "Michele Obama's Patriotism"

Anyway I thought it was an interesting point, why are dems constantly forced to 'prove' their patriotism while its automatically assumed for republicans?

*EDIT* The line I'm referring to is around the 4:10 mark.

Because candidate A was a PoW for 5 years, and candidate B hangs around with the race baiting Goddamn America crowd?

I never understood why McCain being a shitty pilot has anything to do with patriotism. If he was so patriotic, maybe he should have learned to fly better.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: shira
Originally posted by: Xavier434
Patriotism is a word which technically has a solid definition which is the following as per the wiki:

Patriotism is commonly defined as the love for or devotion to one's country.

However, it is considerably obvious that it is one of many words which holds a different definition depending on who you ask. Therefore, it is has become nothing more than a subjective opinion. Hence, the controversy.

For me, I just stick with the simple definition and ignore the rest of the debatable nonsense since most of the debate is often used as nothing more than a weapon to slander to someone else. I don't believe that Patriotism should be most commonly used in such a fashion. I think that is insulting towards its true definition.

I define "patriotism" as wanting your country to be the best it can be, which includes advocating that your country be true to its principles. I believe that a true patriot MUST speak out when his country betrays those principles.

Ya, I would say that goes hand in hand with love and devotion for one's country.