John Stewart's Interview of Newt Gringich

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
I thought this interview was outstanding, and in my mind it ended on a very high note. John said that he didn't believe Bristol's pregnancy should be an issue, except in the context of when discussing Gov. Palin's abortion views. In her press release she said that it was Bristol's choice to keep her baby. John then asked why he should vote someone who allows her daughter to make that choice, but if she became president would work to take that away from his daughter.

All in all it's definitely worth watching. He may be the only newscaster right now who is asking questions during interviews in a *mostly* respectful way. Given what the daily show is supposed to be, I find that impressive.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/vi...87&title=newt-gingrich

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Couldn't "choice to keep her baby" be interpreted as the choice between keeping it or giving it up for adoption? Given Palin's views, that's what I would assume it meant, not that I agree with her position on abortion though.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
Thats exactly what I was thinking, there are 3 choices not two

JHoNNy1OoO

Golden Member
Oct 18, 2003
Originally posted by: jjones
Couldn't "choice to keep her baby" be interpreted as the choice between keeping it or giving it up for adoption? Given Palin's views, that's what I would assume it meant, not that I agree with her position on abortion though.

In my opinion with all the talk about her being pro-life at the time, her press release was meant to get pro-life support at the time. I'm sure it was meant to be the difference between abortion and life. Could it have been interpreted as a for adoption choice? I'm sure, but that certainly was not the intention.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Ah, but its really a twofer issue at work here. Not only the issue of Bristol's pregnancy, but we must also add in the issue of opting to give birth to a child with a serious and certain birth defect with Trig Palin's downs syndrome. On the latter point, all of us can agree that Sarah and Todd Palin have the means and the right to decide to keep the child, but many families must ask if they think the government and not they have the
final say in the abort or not abort a seriously defective fetus that will certainly grow up to be a defective human being.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Ah, but its really a twofer issue at work here. Not only the issue of Bristol's pregnancy, but we must also add in the issue of opting to give birth to a child with a serious and certain birth defect with Trig Palin's downs syndrome. On the latter point, all of us can agree that Sarah and Todd Palin have the means and the right to decide to keep the child, but many families must ask if they think the government and not they have the
final say in the abort or not abort a seriously defective fetus that will certainly grow up to be a defective human being.
Who are you to decide who is and is not 'defective' ?????

People with down syndrome can lead very happy lives. The idea that a baby must die because it has down syndrome is disgusting.

Question: if we find out that homosexuality is genetic and we devise a test to determine if a baby will be gay before they are born would it be okay for parents to abort those babies?

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007

Are you fucking serious? Is my sarcasm meter broken?

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

People with down syndrome can lead very happy lives. The idea that a baby must die because it has down syndrome is disgusting.

Question: if we find out that homosexuality is genetic and we devise a test to determine if a baby will be gay before they are born would it be okay for parents to abort those babies?

While I don't agree with the comment made by LL I will point out that you said *IF* homosexuality is genetic. Do you seriously believe it's a choice? If so, could you decide to suddenly become gay? Geez.

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
I don't understand why the decision to have a child with down syndrome was such a big deal. It's quite possible for those individuals to lead mostly normal and happy lives. Mental retardation isn't even a guarantee.

What I am more concerned about it allowing mothers to have abortions in cases of rape,incest, or if there life is in danger. For example, due to the crazy hormones women can develop cancer while pregnant. Getting chemo/radiation would certainly seriously affect the baby's health, if not kill it. Some children are born with most of their brains missing, they are vegetables for the most part and their births can increase risk of harm to the mother. I don't really like the idea of using abortion as a form of birth control, but until this country is willing to provide single pregnant women and mothers with access to the prenatal and neonatal care, along with daycare and career training opportunities, I do not support a ban of any type. These women will simply go elsewhere to get an abortion.

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
Originally posted by: jjones

It was phrased/highlighted as a choice against getting an abortion.

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

Homosexuality almost certainly has some genetic components...however there is not a completely extra chromosome as in the case of Down Snydrome. That being said, I don't support aborting anyone because of a genetic abnormality, that leads you down a slippery slope. (Should I abort a child who has a cancer gene? What about diabetes? ect...)