fobot.com
officially projected
but yeah, there you go the old guy pulled it off
w0w

also, the Huck campaign is floating it out that he'll drop out by Thursday

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Not that it was a huge surprise, but I'm glad he's the Republican candidate as opposed to pretty much everyone else who was running. McCain has his flaws, but on the whole he's a lot more of a solid candidate that I can at least respect...even if I'm not going to vote for him. A victory from any of the one trick ponies the Republicans fielded (Huckabee, 9/11) or the empty shirts (Romney) would have meant that the Republicans didn't learn their lesson from GWB. I'm still not a Republican, but I really like the fact that they are moving in the right direction. And honestly, McCain as President wouldn't be the end of the world. I'm not going to vote for him, but we could do a lot worse. President Huckabee, for example, is a phrase that makes me want to move to Canada.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
back in like August-Sept, a talking head on meet the press talked about what an absurdly outlandish possibility a McCain comeback would be... wish I had a clip of it. :)

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
CNN now reporting that Huck has promised to concede.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
His victory speech is painful to watch. His delivery lacks power and authority. Too many common themes from prior Bush speeches.

We might as well lock up the general election results now. He just doesn't have the legs for the general election given the uphill battle he faces because of his predecessor.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Rockinacoustic
Good, now to watch the Democratic party self-destruct again :p

Maybe, but the Republicans seem to want to get in on that particular game as well. When an attitude of change is gaining ground with the voters, it doesn't really seem to make sense to nominate someone who's up to his neck in the current crap that's going on. And of course candidates who lost a previous primary tend to have problems trying to run again unless something has changed about them since they lost their party primary.

bbdub333

Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: jpeyton
His victory speech is painful to watch. His delivery lacks power and authority. Too many common themes from prior Bush speeches.

We might as well lock up the general election results now. He just doesn't have the legs for the general election given the uphill battle he faces because of his predecessor.

While on the other hand, Obama and Clinton don't have the legs because they're idiots. When in Rome...

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: bbdub333
Obama and Clinton don't have the legs because they're idiots.
Well McCain is a doody-head!

(sorry, that was the best impression of a 4th grader I could muster; you clearly have an edge in that department)

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Just got back from Yahoo news, yep its true, Huckabee has conceded and dropped out of the race for the GOP nomination. Making McCain the certain GOP nominee.

In the grand scheme of things, Huckabee played the spoiler role, splitting the coveted religious right vote between him and Romney. And in the end, Romney didn't have enough appeal or money to compete and became the second to the last man out.

Leaving the religious right with third or worse hind tit come November.

I see lots of hype on this thread that the Huckabee bow out lacked class, but even as a partisan democrat, I can see somethings genuine in Huckabee who is hardly the religiuos nut some paint him as.

My prediction,especially if McCain flops in November, watch for the Huckabee appeal to rise in the GOP. The McCain and Huckabee alliance has served both well during the primary season, look for a formable alliance between McCain and Huckabee come November.

Mavtek3100

Jan 15, 2008
Of the 8 people who showed up to my precinct convention tonight, only 1 voted for John McCain. We had 4 for Ron Paul, and 3 for Huckabee. Of course in our precinct tons of people voted McCain, but they didn't show up to the convention afterwards. Too bad, they'd have never let us pass a resolution barring McCain from getting the delegates he's supposedly going to be getting from what the media has been telling everyone.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

maybe I'm just weird like that, but I like the fact that he's not giving a super slick speech.

makes me feel like maybe he's not just blowing smoke up my ass.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: bbdub333

While on the other hand, Obama and Clinton don't have the legs because they're idiots. When in Rome...

[deleted]

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
McCain is just gonna go into fundraising mode now, while Obama and Billary dump $200 million each to fight eachother for another 5 months. Whoever wins on the dem side is gonna be broke by the time the GE comes around.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

I am confused. All we heard from the left, the bushbots, et al was how McCain wasnt a true republican due to not lockstepping with Bush. So I am failing to see how Bush's problems automatically become McCains problems?

Of the circus clowns the Republicans put up this cycle, McCain is the best shot to not be labeled a lockstep neo-con. He isnt perfect, but the guy is the best shot they have.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Genx87

I am confused. All we heard from the left, the bushbots, et al was how McCain wasnt a true republican due to not lockstepping with Bush. So I am failing to see how Bush's problems automatically become McCains problems?

Of the circus clowns the Republicans put up this cycle, McCain is the best shot to not be labeled a lockstep neo-con. He isnt perfect, but the guy is the best shot they have.

Are you kidding me? I hear more complaining from the right (those that claim to be real conservatives, at least) about McCain not being a "true Republican" than I hear from the left and bushbots combined.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007

That line of thinking is why democrats always lose when they shouldnt.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Good. He's a nice fallback position for me in case the Dems nominate Obama.