John McCain is stronger in debates than Obama

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Harvey
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY

Yeah - I love it when Harveybot goes off half cocked. Just shows how BDS can mess up one's head. :p

And I love it when neocon jackasses hang the BDS label on me.
Didn't your sig contain the lines "Proud to be a BDSer" or something similar?

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: sierrita
Originally posted by: Queasy
Originally posted by: Pabster
But McCain has a bad temper. Obama's a skilled orator who could really push his buttons with ease.

I don't know. Reporters and Democratic activists have been trying to push McCain's buttons in interviews and at McCain appearances. McCain hasn't shown his temper yet. I think he's smart enough to keep his temper under wraps in the public eye.

"Hasn't shown it?"

You just aren't looking.

- A NY Times reporter tried to provoke McCain. No dice. As mentioned in the link, McCain was obviously annoyed and irritated by the reporter but he wasn't showing any real temper.

- An Obama supporter and former Biden campaign worker crashed a McCain appearance trying to provoke McCain. Nothing.
Marty Parrish: This question goes to mental health and mental health care. Previously, I've been married to a woman that was verbally abusive to me. Is it true that you called your wife a c*nt?

McCain: Now, now. You don't want to... Um, you know that's the great thing about town hall meetings, sir, but we really don't, there's people here who don't respect that kind of language. So I'll move on to the next questioner in the back.

Crowd applauds.

- There was another incident recently at another McCain townhall meeting where a Dem supporter started railing at McCain like a moron. McCain kept his cool.

I know it's fun to pull up pics of McCain scowling and what not, but I just think he's smart enough to keep his temper in check during a live national debate.

I'd honestly be worried about whether or not Obama has had enough sleep since he'll have to think on his feet and not have the safety of a teleprompter.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
^ awesome videos :)

I think those videos illustrate that Obama does not do so well speaking off the top of his head.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
^ lmao. You know you're desperate when you think McCain is going to out-speak/think Obama. :laugh:

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: RichardE
I for one think JMcCain will demolish Obama in the Townhall meetings, he thinks much better on his feet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcdLO3jKkPo

btw Vid is only 1.3min long
The Ron Paul questions illustrates why they don't allow candidates to ask each other questions at these types of debate.

To easy to come up with a very specific question that your opponent won't be able to answer correctly.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
^ awesome videos :)

I think those videos illustrate that Obama does not do so well speaking off the top of his head.

you're kidding, right? all that illustrates is the havok sleep deprivation has on mental functioning. you could go to pubmed and find tons of stuff on it if you'd like.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: tweaker2
i want to thank the repubs for nominating mccain for the presidency. :laugh:

as bad as McCain can be... he's still better than anyone else who ran for the republican nomination.

victory will be hard to achieve, but it would have been flat-out impossible for Romney, Huckabee, Guiliani, Paul, etc..

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
IF you thought these video's were funny we can show you 10 million on the tard we got in office right now. Or you can watch David Letterman ... Got a new one on every show!

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Town halls are a farce. Who the hell wants to watch people complain for an hour about high as prices?

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
With the way that voters consume debates and the way that the media reports them, John McCain is effectively stronger in debates than Obama.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
RichardE convinced me-I'm voting for Ms. Teen SC. Just as articulate as McCain, and a lot easier on the eyes. About tied in the ability to think on their feet.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: ericlp
IF you thought these video's were funny we can show you 10 million on the tard we got in office right now. Or you can watch David Letterman ... Got a new one on every show!

Always bringing something to the discussion aren't ya.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Evan Lieb
^ lmao. You know you're desperate when you think McCain is going to out-speak/think Obama. :laugh:

the problem, it seems, is your ilk think debater = orator

No one will disagree that obama can outspeak McCain in a speech. but a debate is not a speech. We have not seen obama in a true debate. Unless, of course, you think obama and hillary masturbating each other about how they both will end the Bush era is a "debate" - in that case, once again, you're the big winner.

Obama makes too many gaffes when trying to speak off the cuff (which is understandable due to his extremely limited experience as a politician), and I foresee one of two things (or more likely both things) happening when they debate:

1. obama will befuddle himself, trip over his words and make yet another remark that offends americans
2. obama will decide to engage in "silly politics"(as obama calls it) and try attacking mccain over petty issues. So much for obama's "candidate of change" rhetoric. this will, once again, turn off americans.

either way, the hope is with these debates we'll finally get to see what Obama is really like. As it is we've only seen relatively short glimpses.

once again, for the ADD kids:

debate != speech. don't try to compare reading off a teleprompter to debating.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: daveymark

No one will disagree that obama can outspeak McCain in a speech. but a debate is not a speech. We have not seen obama in a true debate. Unless, of course, you think obama and hillary masturbating each other about how they both will end the Bush era is a "debate" - in that case, once again, you're the big winner.

Obama makes too many gaffes when trying to speak off the cuff (which is understandable due to his extremely limited experience as a politician), and I foresee one of two things (or more likely both things) happening when they debate:

1. obama will befuddle himself, trip over his words and make yet another remark that offends americans
2. obama will decide to engage in "silly politics"(as obama calls it) and try attacking mccain over petty issues. So much for obama's "candidate of change" rhetoric. this will, once again, turn off americans.

either way, the hope is with these debates we'll finally get to see what Obama is really like. As it is we've only seen relatively short glimpses.

You must be watching debates on a different planet than this Earth. "100 years (ie, permanent occupation of Iraq)? Bomb, Bomb, Bomb Iran? Iran supports Al Qaeda? The solution to the subprime mortgage crisis is to reduce regulation on the financial industry? etc, etc, etc.-I could go on and on but it's pretty apparent all but a blind GOP partisan that McCain is severely hobbled in the judgment department, to put it mildly and his debating skills are limited to a very poor imitation of Ronald Reagan-without the insight or wit.

Personally, I think if you lined all the two dozen or so mainstream GOP and Dem presidential candidates this time around, McCain would come in near dead last in any evaluation of analytical thinking or debating ability.

mrCide

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: lupi

You do nothing but troll this forum; hypocritical fool you are.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: mrCide

Just shows how little you actually read.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002

I feel bad for you that you wrote all that and still failed to make a distinction without a difference. McCain has proven to be worse off-the-cuff than prepared just as Obama has. The difference is relative between the two. Sadly, I still don't think you'll get it.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001

Why is the relative so difficult to understand? :(

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com

did you forget that obama's a lawyer? you don't think he can debate?

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Given the fact that Ron Paul has already made McCain look like a fool in debates, I don't think it'll be hard for Obama to do it as well. Now Paul vs Obama would be a fun debate to watch!

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Well hello there Mr. Pot. Meet Mr. Kettle.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: mrCide

Just shows how little you actually read.

Yeah, right. You forgot to say Hussein in this post. You're going to kill your average... :roll:

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Like it matters. Obama could stutter his way through 2 hours and the people here would hail him as a genius. Read back and see how many here felt Hillary beat him in their debates, which independent analysts felt she did by a strong margin.