John McAfee dead (of apparent suicide) at 75 in Spain

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
https://abcnews.go.com/Business/joh...eveloper-found-dead-spanish/story?id=78449557

Shine on you crazy diamond.

This guy had it all, and went way off the rails at some point. I still remember the craziness of his escape from Belize, and the eventual $25 million dollar judgement against him for wrongful death lawsuit.

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/07/9208...vading-taxes-while-allegedly-earning-millions
Then, last year, a U.S. District Court ordered McAfee to pay $25 million in a wrongful death lawsuit in Faull's death, according to the Florida Record.

McAfee said he would not pay and he was "never suspected of murder" in a statement he posted to Twitter in March 2019.

"I have not responded to a single one of my 37 lawsuits for the past 11 years. They have all been frivolous," he wrote, calling the order "the legal extortion game aimed at America's wealthy class."

He claimed to have "no assets" and said he couldn't pay, even if a lawsuit demanded it.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Eccentric for sure. He had pretty interesting twitter feed as well. One even might even have foretold his future...

McAfee tweeted the government was subtlety sending messages they were going to get rid of him. He even got a tattoo that would claim otherwise in the future.

Definitely a dark sense of humor.

Capture.PNG

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm curious about this guy. Figured by now this thread would be a couple pages or something, but this is post #4. Hmm.

Saw stories on NBC news tonight, i.e. OTA network TV. One was by a reporter who interviewed him in 2013, Raj Mathai of NBC News San Francisco.

Of course, the parallel with Epstein is obvious. Spanish jail. No word on how he died other than the claim it was suicide. The story is that a Spanish court had determined to extradite him to the USA to stand trial for tax evasion, maybe other crime(s?). On the face of it suicide seems conceivable. If he said he'd never kill himself that's no proof he didn't. I have NEVER believed that Epstein killed himself.

It's said he was famously infatuated by firearms. He admits to bizarre life style, but I don't know what that entailed. I suppose women involved. But I have heard nothing to paint him like Epstein, a sexual predator.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
I'm curious about this guy. Figured by now this thread would be a couple pages or something, but this is post #4. Hmm.

Saw stories on NBC news tonight, i.e. OTA network TV. One was by a reporter who interviewed him in 2013, Raj Mathai of NBC News San Francisco.

Of course, the parallel with Epstein is obvious. Spanish jail. No word on how he died other than the claim it was suicide. The story is that a Spanish court had determined to extradite him to the USA to stand trial for tax evasion, maybe other crime(s?). On the face of it suicide seems conceivable. If he said he'd never kill himself that's no proof he didn't. I have NEVER believed that Epstein killed himself.

It's said he was famously infatuated by firearms. He admits to bizarre life style, but I don't know what that entailed. I suppose women involved. But I have heard nothing to paint him like Epstein, a sexual predator.

There is also a thread in P&N.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
He was a big believer in Bitcoin, and attended many of their conferences, cruises, etc., and espoused the "all taxation is theft" line.

Still, I don't believe that he killed himself either. The worst that they would send someone like him to prison for in the USA for tax evasion, would be a minimal stint in Club Fed, with the other white-collar bank fraudsters and the like.

It doesn't pass the "sniff test".

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
He was a big believer in Bitcoin, and attended many of their conferences, cruises, etc., and espoused the "all taxation is theft" line.

Still, I don't believe that he killed himself either. The worst that they would send someone like him to prison for in the USA for tax evasion, would be a minimal stint in Club Fed, with the other white-collar bank fraudsters and the like.

It doesn't pass the "sniff test".
He was 75, and was facing 30+ years in a federal prison.

For a free-spirited eccentric guy like he was (along with the discussion over the years about his apparent mental health state), I wouldn't be surprised in the least that he decided to go out on his own terms (which seems like that's how he lived his life since selling McAfee Antivirus off).

Reactions: Meghan54 and Muse

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
A good visual history of his life:

One estimate is that his fortune went from $100 million to $4 million in the 2008 economic collapse, which seems to be around the time he got paranoid & thought he was being watched. Things kinda went downhill from there...

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Interesting guy. He never "paid up" on his bet when Bitcoin didn't hit a million dollars by the end of 2020, though!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
One estimate is that his fortune went from $100 million to $4 million in the 2008 economic collapse, which seems to be around the time he got paranoid & thought he was being watched. Things kinda went downhill from there...
Pretty hard to lose 96% of his capital in 2008 unless he was super leveraged. I think he probably spent a great deal of that.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I used to have to uncheck the box that would install McAfee every time I updated some program. Forget what it was? Java?
I think I had that problem with Acrobat for a while. Every damn time.

Reactions: Muse

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Pretty hard to lose 96% of his capital in 2008 unless he was super leveraged. I think he probably spent a great deal of that.

Weapon purchases, international traveling, etc. probably drains your pocketbook pretty quickly!

Nov 8, 2012
Posted this on the P&N equivalent thread but seems more relevant here.....

Perhaps it was really just an accident and he was trying to accomplish something and it snapped his neck or something?

In July 2017, McAfee wrote on Twitter that he predicted that the price of one bitcoin would jump to $500,000 within three years, and that "If not, I will eat my own dick on national television."[69]

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I can recall the crazy stories about this guy from years ago.... sorry to hear of this and I too have serious questions about his "suicide". (RIP no matter how he passed)

I must agree however that McAfee security software WAS straight garbage.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
sorry to hear of this and I too have serious questions about his "suicide". (RIP no matter how he passed)

Why is anyone sorry to hear about this? Dude is a murderer and rapist and general abject piece of shit. If hell was real he’d be burning there now. Good riddance.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Why is anyone sorry to hear about this? Dude is a murderer and rapist and general abject piece of shit. If hell was real he’d be burning there now. Good riddance.

Not implying he didn't belong in prison or that he was a "good guy".... wishing a dead person peace is as much/more for the benefit of the person doing the wishing as IME the dead folks tend to not care much. (of course I can only speak for myself)

And I DID make fun of his crappy software! ;)

One thing I CAN say for certain however is that we'll never know what the guy was actually guilty of without first-hand knowledge of the case.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
RIP crazy dude.

One thing about him, he was honest. Even he admitted that McAfee antivirus is a piece of garbage. More or less in those words too lol. He did an AMA on Reddit years back.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: KMFJD

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Let's just remember the good times John's brought us
iu

iu

nsfw/nsfl themes in the video

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Apparently he was broke!

In addition to the feds, the question of McAfee's estate is also of interest to his family, including his widow and staunch supporter Janice, who insists that his death may not have been a suicide, as Spanish authorities found.
Of course she wants to find out if he has hidden money somewhere. :rolleyes:

And I guess just like Jeffrey Epstein, we'll have to deal with "McAfee didn't kill himself" memes since his widow will likely fuel that fire.