John Kerry’s office blasts Mitt Romney over inaccurate claims about tax returns

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
If you don't want to be lumped in with the other loonie birth...I mean returners, stop acting like them. Saying "cause everyone else is doing it" stopped working when you were a child and your mom told you "if everyone else was jumping off a cliff, would you do it too?"

You need to come up with a legitimate reason to demand his returns. The "cause everyone else is doing it" loonie returner reason failed long, long ago.

No candidate releases 12 or so years of returns because it is the cool or popular thing to do. Your transparent analogy fails miserably. If you want to debate why returns beyond the legal requirement were originally published by candidates, go ahead. However, I do not think that you are legitimately interested in that. You merely want to deflect and/or dismiss an issue that is clearly unfavorable for Romney. Calling those that point out that Romney has neglected to do what was rightfully expected of him, "returners", is yet more evidence of that fact.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
The IRS, the most brutal, and relentless government agency ever created, and has had Romney under a microscope for years, has given him a clean bill of health. Romney doesn't have to say, or do, or prove anything!
Would you allow me to search of your home without a warrant, cause maybe I had an unnamed source, (ala, Harry Reid)? I may not find anything illegal, but hey, granny panties in your wife's dresser drawer. THIS is gonna go viral !
So I ask once again, if this is not to prove illegal activity, then why the pursuit? This time, try and be honest.
omg lol!

horrible logic..

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
The same can be said for a political hack that doesn't know the difference between "demanded" like you claimed in your first post and "requested" that's in the link you provided. Do you usually have so much trouble with semantics ? or only when you're being a partisan Democrat?

I don't think that's an example of me being irrational -- I just don't see a big difference between "requesting" and "demanding" in politics. It's not like Romney said "My kind sir, I humbly request that you release your tax returns." What he actually said was: "It's time the biggest-taxing senator in Washington shows the people of Massachusetts how much he pays in taxes."

That sounds to me more like a demand than a request. YMMV.

I'm using Johnson's old political ploy to make a point, it's one you understand, but you hate it so you are trying to make me stop.

I have no power to make you stop anything. But multiple people have already pointed out that your "ploy" doesn't work here because you are comparing a reasonable suspicion (that Romney is hiding something in his tax returns) to an unreasonable one (that Obama is doing something unspeakable to farm animals).

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
I don't think that's an example of me being irrational -- I just don't see a big difference between "requesting" and "demanding" in politics. It's not like Romney said "My kind sir, I humbly request that you release your tax returns." What he actually said was: "It's time the biggest-taxing senator in Washington shows the people of Massachusetts how much he pays in taxes."

That sounds to me more like a demand than a request. YMMV.

If you don't know the difference between request and demand then I suggest you try to request money from people on the street like a panhandler would and then demand money from people like a robber does and see what response you get.

I have no power to make you stop anything. But multiple people have already pointed out that your "ploy" doesn't work here because you are comparing a reasonable suspicion (that Romney is hiding something in his tax returns) to an unreasonable one (that Obama is doing something unspeakable to farm animals).

It's not unspeakable, the rumor is that he's screwing pigs, I just want him to take a lie detector test to prove that he's not. There's no evidence or proof that he is, but the rumor says he is and where there's smoke there's fire.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
If you don't know the difference between request and demand then I suggest you try to request money from people on the street like a panhandler would and then demand money from people like a robber does and see what response you get.

I said I didn't see a big difference between them in politics.

The pig stuff isn't even worthy of further comment.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
georgeromneyquote.jpg

deal with it...

how did releasing his tax returns work out for George Romney?

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
how did releasing his tax returns work out for George Romney? :confused:
Releasing his tax returns worked out just fine. Saying he had been "brainwashed" by American military and politicians in Viet Nam, not so much.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
...You merely want to deflect and/or dismiss an issue that is clearly unfavorable for Romney. Calling those that point out that Romney has neglected to do what was rightfully expected of him, "returners", is yet more evidence of that fact.
Give cybrstooge the benefit of the doubt. If Mr. Romney says he has nothing to hide in his tax returns, we should believe him. It's not as though he endorsed a patently unlawful tax evasion scheme as Chairman of the Marriott Corporation Audit Committee...