John Deere vs. Craftsman

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cheezmunky

Sep 30, 2002
my brother has been working on mowers for the past 5 years and he absolutely hates craftsman mowers (almost as much as Murray *cringes*) He doesn't work on many deeres though since they aren't an authorized deere service center. I have heard him say that simplicity is top of the line, like many others have been saying.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Buy me
If he bought that, what would he use to cut the grass? The tiny deck slung under the frame? The only reason zero turn mowers can get by with such small decks, is because their cutting speed is so fast, and quick manuverability.

This crude gang mower is $2,000, but will not cut weeds well.

Less expensive units...

If I had a serious amount of property, I'd shoot for a commercial grade zero turn. No way I'd buy a used one, because they would be VERY (commercially) used! It would have excellent resale value, since it would only have a history of use on one residential property. Trouble is, a second solution would be required for snow removal.

I bought my commercial grade Little Wonder leaf blower back in 1984. Pneumatic tires, 8HP cast iron Kohler engine and massive air capacity. The dealer who sold it to me said it would last a lifetime under residential use, and I don't doubt it. Cost $650 back then, and I could still sell it for a few hundred today.

I wish I had more lawn to cut, so I could justify a commercial mower. I opted for the highest quality rider I could get. It was only $1,700, and not super heavy duty, but still doing the job after 20 years.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Ornery
...before the deck fell apart...

Everything is fixable... everything! Between your local machine shops, auto repair, lawnmower repair and welding shops, somebody's got to be able to help. What specifically is broken? Pics?

I was going over some higher weeds (about 7-10 inches high and thick) when i hurd a kachunk and a grinding.

once i got the turned off and the mower out of there i discoverd there used to be a small builidng there. I had ran over the cement and some other stuff .

The deck was cracked in half. part of it missing (repair guy said it had happened before. he showed me the weild marks) the part where the blade spins was destroyed etc.

He said he could fix it for $200 and took it to his shop. called 2 days later to say it was not fixable.

So i took it to someone else who does such work and he said the same thing.

This was over 8 months. Now i have NO IDEA where the deck is. So i need to buy a new one (IF I COULD FIND ONE!).

good part is the "tractor" part works. so if i find a snowblower or such i can throw it on. its very usefull for yard work.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I called Craftsmen (same deck) but they will not sale me one since its a weedeater.

So, all you need is a model number of a Craftsman mower that uses that deck? Guess that's the way to go. We've got a few mower dealers around here, and each looks like a graveyard of old equipment used for scavaging old parts. Maybe you just need to broaden your search area.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Ornery
I called Craftsmen (same deck) but they will not sale me one since its a weedeater.

So, all you need is a model number of a Craftsman mower that uses that deck? Guess that's the way to go. We've got a few mower dealers around here, and each looks like a graveyard of old equipment used for scavaging old parts. Maybe you just need to broaden your search area.

I searched all over for a weedeater deck. couldnt find one. A friend of mine knew that paulan/craftsmen etc were the same.

So i started looking around here for a deck that i could use(craftsmen, paulon etc). NONE have them or refuse to sale them because the brands diffrent (wtf thats odd eh?). But you are right. i just need to broaden my search area.

Just trying to decide if its worth it. or i should break down and go ahead and buy a new one (NOT A CHEAP ONE).

went the other day to look at the Torro zero turn ones. I really like how they look. But got to get osmething that is good for having 2 acres of bumpy land heh.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm all for buying quality from the start, but you've already got money tied up in these other units. You said that Weed Eater was only $100? Guess that ain't such a big loss if you have to give up on it.

Have you considered the commercial walk behind mowers? You can add a sulky if you'd rather sit. Might be able to take a couple grand off the price if you go that route.

waitman

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2002
Originally posted by: SuperSix
Craftsman's lawn equipment (and service) suck ASS.

I went round and round with them on a mower repiar - they finally fixed it - (replaced the tranny too), and now the NEW transmission is going out - and they don't care.

And now the motor's knocking - less than 2 years old and it's on it's last legs.

I am NOT a Sears newbie - the last mower I had from them lasted 16 years, and I have many other Craftsman/Kenmore items.

Just hope it doesn't break down. I will pay the extra $$$ for a Snapper, Troy Bilt or Deere next time.

Sounds just like what I went through, with 2 new mowers. The one I have now is 2years old and it is a peice of crap. I had 2 old ones that lasted for ever and gave them away when I got the first new one about 4 years ago, boy did I screw up!

freeway

Sep 11, 2000
Originally posted by: waggy
ugh I have owned Deer, Craftsmen and now a weedeater. the Deer i got was just a rebaged deer (got a friend that works for Deer. Said the small homeowner ones are all rebaged) and it died in 4 years. Teh craftsmen died in a year. The weedeater i got is 11 years old (baught it used for $100) but the deck is busted and NOBODY is selling them.

I called Craftsmen (same deck) but they will not sale me one since its a weedeater. So i been in the market myself for a new mower.

Was thinking simplicity myself. but with only 2 acres to mow dont know if i really want ot spend 3k+ on a mower heh.

I just sold my old Weedeater mower. It was about 7-8 years old and was made by AYP if I remember correctly. I could still get parts for it through the factory.

Check Here AYP Decks

Or call 1-800-849-1297 (Poulan/weedeater factory parts)

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Buy me

I have an aging Husqvarna now. Still runs good about 10 years old with a 14 HP Kohler. I want to upgrade to something more powerful like a garden tractor you referenced. I thought Husqvarna was not much different than Craftsman, though.

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
Originally posted by: Snatchface
Buy me

I have an aging Husqvarna now. Still runs good about 10 years old with a 14 HP Kohler. I want to upgrade to something more powerful like a garden tractor you referenced. I thought Husqvarna was not much different than Craftsman, though.

The big difference is the drivetrain and that can make ALL of the difference.

Briggs and Stratton aint what they used to be, but Sears keeps using them. Husqvarna uses Kohler, Honda, etc. WAY better drivetrains. Last longer, lower maintainence, etc.

Poor Troy Bilt suffers the same fate. I've got a bunch of dead Troy Bilt stuff (a mower, edger and a yard vac) that's built like a tank, but has a dead B&S or Tecumeseh mounted up. :(

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I worked for Sears for a couple of years in my youth, and I fixed riders or the fleet vans exclusively. I have worked on many different brands, since we stocked parts for other makes of mower.
Snatchface, fiasco:

How many acres need mowing?
Tell me about the kind of mowing? Is this really lawn quality, or more like tamed forest and pasture? Did you or somebody drop big bucks to seed this?
How smooth is it? can you get over all of it with a push mower at height 3, or will you chop some serious rocks and dirt at that level?

Give me the details, and I can make some experienced recommendations.

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
I have about 2-3 acres altogether broken up into smaller areas. Quite hilly, lots of trees and obstacles to navigate. Very little of it is "60'x100' lot suburban home" grade, well manicured grass. Lots of weedy stuff, roots, etc. Pushing is not an option. Takes about 4-6 hours to do it all with the rider.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Any homeowner rider is really not up to your task, then.
They are designed to operate 2000 hours AT MOST with moderate maintenance. Which is a lot of 1~ hour mowings. You are hammering it with 4~6, so any of the cheaper alternatives will suffer.
If you want to tame the place and do other work, consider getting a small farm tractor, even an old Ford 8N
There is one in there with a brush hog for 2500.
Seriously, they will run a long time without much work, just the changing of the plugs, new points, and keep clean fresh gas in it.
A 6' brush hog has 3 blades that won't just bend when you hit a small hillock of dirt, a stone, or the !@#!#%!$% molehills! With a 6' swath and 35 HP, you can cruise right along and mow that in an hour or so. I value my time highly these days, so that would pay off quite well in the long run.
They will handle a 60" bucket loader, a heavy duty posthole auger, and a 6' or 7' blade for grading or clearing snow. I don't know where you live but if it snows, you can even make a buck with it clearing nearby driveways:)
We made a custom wood splitter for ours, and a crew of 4 could split and load 12 cords in a day with it.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: skyking
Any homeowner rider is really not up to your task, then.
They are designed to operate 2000 hours AT MOST with moderate maintenance. Which is a lot of 1~ hour mowings. You are hammering it with 4~6, so any of the cheaper alternatives will suffer.
If you want to tame the place and do other work, consider getting a small farm tractor, even an old Ford 8N
There is one in there with a brush hog for 2500.
Seriously, they will run a long time without much work, just the changing of the plugs, new points, and keep clean fresh gas in it.
A 6' brush hog has 3 blades that won't just bend when you hit a small hillock of dirt, a stone, or the !@#!#%!$% molehills! With a 6' swath and 35 HP, you can cruise right along and mow that in an hour or so. I value my time highly these days, so that would pay off quite well in the long run.
They will handle a 60" bucket loader, a heavy duty posthole auger, and a 6' or 7' blade for grading or clearing snow. I don't know where you live but if it snows, you can even make a buck with it clearing nearby driveways:)
We made a custom wood splitter for ours, and a crew of 4 could split and load 12 cords in a day with it.

I agree homeowner grade tractors suck and need a lot of maitance. i was at Home depot looking at table saws when i wondered over to the mowers. They had John Deer but they have a huge sign on them saying to change the oil ofter 4 hours of use.

4 HOURS! sheesh! I do not recall any of my other mowers needing it that often.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: skyking
waggy, that was the break-in oil change:)

NOpe thats what i asked. The guy said that after EVERY 4 hours of running it needed a oil change.

Then again the guy could be wrong. After he said that i just walked off. heh i would be changing it every week or so!