Joe Lieberman:"Thank God Palin isn't going to be President"

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Doesn't look like he has too much confidence in the Republican VP candidate. Say it ain't so Joe the Turncoat.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecrypt/

"Thank God" Palin isn't prez on Day One, Lieberman says

Joe Lieberman, who prepped Sarah Palin on foreign policy, was asked by the Stamford Advocate what he thought of the prospect of the Alaska governor actually becoming president.

"[T]hank God she's not going to have to be president from Day One. McCain's going to be alive and well," he said.

Not exactly "she's ready from Day One."

Later in the article, he adds: "Let's hope she never has to be ready because we hope McCain is elected and live out his term," Lieberman said. "But if, God forbid, an accident occurs or something of that kind, she'll be ready. She's had executive experience. She's smart. And she will have had on-the-job training."

Then in he throws in an olive branch of sorts to Dems, who are plotting revenge against him for defecting.

"I'm working my heart out for John McCain to be elected our next president," Lieberman said. "But for whatever reason he is not, I'm going to do everything I can to be bringing people together across party lines to support the new president so he can succeed. What's at stake for our country is just too serious."

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
McCain put himself before out country by picking Palin as his running mate just so he could garner the support of the lunatic fringe of his party. Not a man who should run this country.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
you're aware... that she's not going to be president on day one, right?

frack, she's not going to be president at all -- entertaining ideas that McCain could still win is about as useful as preparing for the rapture.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Those words say to me that he sees her in the same light I do: horrifyingly ignorant of national and foreign affairs.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The other good news is, Joe Loserman will never be President, either.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Harvey
The other good news is, Joe Loserman will never be President, either.

Good. I can't stand the thought of Alf's dad being the leader of our country.

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
Wow. Joe Lieberman believes in God. No wonder those people wanted him out.

microbial

Oct 10, 2008
Clearly this is a case of fashion budget envy. C'mon Joe, you know you wouldn't look good in that red Thriller jacket.

ranmaniac

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
Palin will be sending one of those "kosher" honey baked hams to Joe this xmas/hannukah.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Please President Obama, promote Joe Lieberman to some position that gets him out of the Senate. Ambassador to lower Slobia springs to mind, or perhaps chief paper clip counter with full honors.

Even as a partisan democrat, Lowell Wicker, a republican, was the infinitely better human being.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Originally posted by: loki8481
you're aware... that she's not going to be president on day one, right?

frack, she's not going to be president at all -- entertaining ideas that McCain could still win is about as useful as preparing for the rapture.

Well, I should hope that McCain makes it through his inauguration speech.

/breaks out actuarial tables

Anyways, I think McCain's age and experience would've been a plus if he had picked a decent VP. Palin may not be president from day one, but she NEEDS to be ready to be. Thats her job - cast deciding vote in the Senate and hang around at funerals, at least until her time comes that she needs to step up. I don't want someone unprepared stepping into that role if they clearly aren't ready.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: microbial
Clearly this is a case of fashion budget envy. C'mon Joe, you know you wouldn't look good in that red Thriller jacket.

Yet for the money, it seems so poorly tailored.

Wait, maybe it WOULD fit Joe better.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: feralkid
Originally posted by: microbial

Yet for the money, it seems so poorly tailored.

Wait, maybe it WOULD fit Joe better.

Joe the Plumber or Joe the Mugger?

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Ozoned
Wow. Joe Lieberman believes in God. No wonder those people wanted him out.

just because he said 'thank god' doesn't mean he's a believer. I use it and I don't. people want him out because he a jackass.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I have more faith in joe the plumber then Joe the Lieberman or Palin.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
What was it that BHO's running mate said about BHO being ready to be President?

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: JD50

That was SOOOO 6 MONTHS ago. We all know Biden didn't really mean that!

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Corbett

Are you two the most naive guys on the planet or something? If so...here's some information you might find useful...politicians say things when running for office that they may not entirely mean, all of them. Biden, as an experienced politician, probably saw it as a good way to go after Obama in the primary. Since when do you two use a Democratic politician as your barometer anyways?

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Rainsford

Are you two the most naive guys on the planet or something? If so...here's some information you might find useful...politicians say things when running for office that they may not entirely mean, all of them. Biden, as an experienced politician, probably saw it as a good way to go after Obama in the primary. Since when do you two use a Democratic politician as your barometer anyways?

Yet, you wont admit thats exactly what Obama is doing with his campaign.

In any case is, Joe Biden, along with many other Democrats were right. Obama wasn't ready to be president during the primaries, and he certainly isn't ready today.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Rainsford

Yet, you wont admit thats exactly what Obama is doing with his campaign.

In any case is, Joe Biden, along with many other Democrats were right. Obama wasn't ready to be president during the primaries, and he certainly isn't ready today.

But he is, more so than McCain who's demonstrated he has poor judgment with his pick of that intellectually unqualified woman as his running mate.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
'Say it Ain't So' Joe LIEberman is trying to save that senority.

I wish him luck with that after his speech at the Republican convention. He's praying the Libs don't get 61 seats in the new Senate ...

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
As it is, Lieberman had the democrats by the short hairs after running as an independent in 2006. Had he chosen to side with the GOP, the GOP would have controlled the Senate.

Assuming the democrats control 52-58 Senate seats after the election of 11/08, Lieberman loses that got em by the balls blackmail threat of going GOP, but regains it if the dems just control 60
Senate seats. And at a count of 60 democratic Senate seats, the GOP loses the ability to gridlock by filibuster.

Of course Lieberman still retains a joker even then, his term does not expire until 2012, so there is the results of the mid term election of 2010 to consider. But as it is, I do not think Lieberman will even try to
run for reelection in 2012, so in a sense, he is a dead man walking. And Lieberman's hawkish pro war stance and total pro Israeli stance, IMHO, are unlikely to find any near term vindication in public opinion.

So I have to ask, why Lieberman, at the twilight of his political career, goes out of his way to alienate both democrats and republicans. Maybe Lieberman's ego wants to think him the smartest man in the room, but
its pretty clear that he is about the dimmest man in the room. The winds of change have moved the country in a different direction, and Joe has turned into a fossil in denial.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Maybe Lieberman's ego wants to think him the smartest man in the room,
You think that's why he pals around with McCain to give the impression that he's smart, kind of like how moderately attractive girls hang out with fatties so they look pretty in comparison?

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
I've always liked Lieberman, but he has gotten blind and dumb in his dotage.

He's fully marginalized at this point. He can talk about working across party lines, but the Dems will kick him off his committee job in a heartbeat IF they can get away with it. We'll know more after the election.

What's interesting is that the Iraq War is what has gotten Joe to this point, and now that the Iraqi's are taking control of their own destiny, or trying to, so the distance between Obama and McCain on the war has become irrelevant, except for scoring meaningless political points. So, Lieberman made this political shift for nothing.

When you think about it, it's very sad what's happened to Joe. Growing old sucks. Or, as House MD said: "No one dies with dignity....You live with dignity." Joe started dying about four years ago, I'm afraid, and the process hasn't been pretty.

-Robert