Joe Biden says unequivocally Obama/Biden will not pursue legal action against Bush

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: lupi
Originally posted by: Harvey
Originally posted by: hellokeith

Today on Fox & Friends when asked about pursuing criminal charges:
Fox and Friends: skip to 2:00 mark
Biden:
That's not true.. don't know where that report came from.. only keeping records.. Obama voters don't care about the past

Um, thanks for clearing this up? :confused:

Biden did NOT say unequivocally that an Obama/Biden administration will not pursue legal action against Bush. You might not have been quite so confused if you had listened to the entire exchange between Kilemead and Biden:

Kilmeade: And finally, Senator, there's another report out, today, and I'd like to hear it from you, that if you guys are elected, you and Senator Barak Obama, you're actually going to pursue criminal charges against President Bush's administration and different ahh.. people that served, there.

That's not true, and I don't know where that report is coming from. What is true is, the United States Congress is trying to preserve records on questions that relate to whether or not the law has been violated by anyone. Any adminstration would, anybody should be doing that, and if it turns out after the fact that... there's substantial evidence that somebody violated the law, the fact that they're no longer in office... and no one's talking about President Bush... I've never heard anybody mention President Bush in that context... but you know, there's been an awful lot of unsavory stuff that's gone on, and the mere fact that it occurred in a previous administration doesn't mean Justice Department, if, in fact, there's evidence, shouldn't pursue them, but I have no evidence of any of that. No one's talking about pursuing President Bush.

Kilmeade: But you would look into that? You would look into that. You would look into different... President Bush in particular...

Biden: Bank... no, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying, it's being looked into, now. If you notice, you have the various committees in the United States Senate seeking records that were in fact so they're not destroyed, about whether or not this whole thing about the way U.S. Attorneys were treated, whether anybody purjured themselves and lied about it, just so that it never happens again in any other administration.

Now, if, in fact, they were presented with evidence that something has occured, then the Justice Department would have to pursue it, but no, there is no... the Obama - Biden administration is not going to start off of saying, "God, let's go at what this..." The American people want to know what we're going to do, not what happened.

It isn't hard to understand why Obama and Biden would rather be focusing on the positive aspects of what they want to accomplish during their administration, rather than the negativity of the crimes committed under the Bush administration. That's just good political strategy, consistant with their announced intention to run a positive campaign, especially since he was speaking to Faux's far right constituancy.

That isn't to say the Bush admin's actions are being ignored or that they would ignore reality if they're presented with sufficient evidence that crimes were committed.

I've posted that I believe the Bushwhackos are guilty of major crimes, including treason, murder, torture and other war crimes and crimes against humanity. For the sake of our history and the rule of law, I hope they're charged, tried and proven guilty of thier crimes, but it takes a lot more to make the charges stick in a court of law.

Question:
I'd like to know if you guys are going to pursue the violations that have been made against our constitution by the present administration and restore the constitution to its rightful place in our society.

Biden:

And your problem with that?
I for one am sick of the crap about homeland security and our constitutional rights being eroded. I could care less of congress or the senate approved it, I want it gone. If Obama/Biden can do anything about it, good for them.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: skyking

Question:
I'd like to know if you guys are going to pursue the violations that have been made against our constitution by the present administration and restore the constitution to its rightful place in our society.

Biden:

I for one am sick of the crap about homeland security and our constitutional rights being eroded. I could care less of congress or the senate approved it, I want it gone. If Obama/Biden can do anything about it, good for them.

I haven't made a statement about it one way or another. I was just pointing it out for those trying to downplay his statements.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001

Question:

Biden:

I haven't made a statement about it one way or another. I was just pointing it out for those trying to downplay his statements.

He said yes. And then he followed with a complete and clear explanation of what would be done, and that was follow the law.
I notice you chose to leave out that part.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Question:

Biden:

Good answer, Joe. 10/10 :beer: :thumbsup: :cool:

Questions for you, Loopy:
  • Why are you opposed to pursuing those who have assaulted and shredded our once great Constitution?
  • What kind of tyrannical dictatorship would you prefer to see in its place?

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001

Question:

Biden:

He said yes. And then he followed with a complete and clear explanation of what would be done, and that was follow the law.
I notice you chose to leave out that part.

It's called answereing a question.

Topic Title: Joe Biden says unequivocally Obama/Biden will not pursue legal action against Bush
Topic Summary: Doesn't even know where that report came from
Question:

Biden:

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Harvey

Question:

Biden:

Good answer, Joe. 10/10 :beer: :thumbsup: :cool:

Questions for you, Loopy:
  • Why are you opposed to pursuing those who have assaulted and shredded our once great Constitution?
  • What kind of tyrannical dictatorship would you prefer to see in its place?

How's that telcom immunity doing for ya.

And I take it you missed my post where I'd be happy to see half of his cabinet see treason charges there Harriet.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Keep digging lupi. The interviewer mentioned Bush specifically, over and over again. Biden had said nothing about building a case against GWB himself.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Keep digging lupi. The interviewer mentioned Bush specifically, over and over again. Biden had said nothing about building a case against GWB himself.

Talk about the one digging.

by the present administration

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
The really dumb thing is that Kucinich already stood up and read the articles of impeachment against Bush. They had their chance, and they snubbed their nose at it. The rule of law and accountability took a second priority to the possible risks to electability. Party over Principle struck again.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

How's that telcom immunity doing for ya.

It figures that shredding the Constitution would make a Bushwhacko sycophant like you happy. The question is, why? :roll:

And did you happen to notice that the only immunity they were granted was from civil liability? The whole issue of criminal liability is still on the table.

And I take it you missed my post where I'd be happy to see half of his cabinet see treason charges there Harriet.

Huh??? Was that a refrerence to Bushwhakco trator, Harriet Miers? :confused:

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001

Talk about the one digging.

by the present administration

"And I take it you missed my post where I'd be happy to see half of his cabinet see treason charges there Harriet. "

I'll qoute you some more.
GWB may be the head of "the present administration", but his handlers are the ones that will get the scrutiny.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
oh come on, this was shens from the start.

Joe Biden said something unequivocally??

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: jonks
oh come on, this was shens from the start.

Joe Biden said something unequivocally??

:D
that was the first lie I looked for!

Mail5398

Jul 9, 2001
No way Obama/Biden will go after Bush. It would open up a can of worms none of them want to deal with. They would have to look over their backs the rest of their lives. Every President makes tough decisions. You can always look back and say that was a mistake. Every President has made a mistake.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Mail5398
No way Obama/Biden will go after Bush. It would open up a can of worms none of them want to deal with. They would have to look over their backs the rest of their lives. Every President makes tough decisions. You can always look back and say that was a mistake. Every President has made a mistake.

Nobody is going to prison for mistakes. Would you please get real.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: bamacre
:laugh:

Its funny because most of the people here will go and vote for these guys. And absolutely nothing would change their minds.

Yup, 8 years of Republican disaster and McCain is bring change. The Republicans got taken by a lust for power and have learned their lesson and want more power and the morons on the right lap it up like the chumps they are. Sadly for those too pure to vote for a better option that can also win, Obama is the only real option for change. So we have two sets of idiots, those who vote Republican and the Libertarians who are too good to get their hands soiled voting for the only hope there is. They will stand on the side lines and carp about how awful everything is.