News Joe Biden does not know what decade it is and what party's he's in. Opposes Federal Funding of abortions.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Unfortunately our best case scenario is Sanders. That's kind of like wanting a puppy for Christmas and getting a gold fish.
The problem for Sanders is the arrogance of youth. They have no idea they will still be themselves and feel like themselves at any age, at least when it comes to being conscious.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Trump is the most popular president among Republicans ever. They are not holding their noses and voting.
I would disagree about him being the most popular among Republicans. Many prominent Republicans publicly rebuked Trump. Even though I've never voted Democrat, I already knew there was no way I would ever vote for Trump -- even before he announced he was officially running.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Would it be good policy to fund abortion? Of course. Is this the hill to die on? Fuck no. We currently don't fund it so we aren't talking about going backwards. No fucking way are Americans ready for using tax dollars to fund it. How many of the other candidates have come out in support of it? My guess is zero. I think it would actually be a bad idea to support this policy right now. All it does is reinforce the stereotype that liberals want to kill as many fetuses as possible.

Edit: okay I read the link and apparently many Dems support the repeal of Hyde. As much as I agree with that position, I think it is a political loser right now. Let's work on protecting people's rights to even get an abortion before we try to fund it with taxpayer money...

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/06/biden-hyde-amendment.html

Assuming there was a political calculation behind Biden’s positioning on Hyde, it’s probably based on polling showing that the amendment is popular among the general electorate and commands significant support from a minority of Democrats, too. But like every question involving abortion policy, measures of public opinion vary according to the framing, and the idea of denying abortion services to women who happen to be poor isn’t popular at all.

You have to properly frame it, but that's no different from any other issue.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
I’m very pro choice but I agree with this. No tax dollars should be used, it’s just to controversial of a topic and it gives plenty of ammo for the anti abortion crowd to go after it. By denying federal tax dollars for paying for it that oddly enough helps preserve the right to one. Sucks but it is what it is.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
I’m very pro choice but I agree with this. No tax dollars should be used, it’s just to controversial of a topic and it gives plenty of ammo for the anti abortion crowd to go after it. By denying federal tax dollars for paying for it that oddly enough helps preserve the right to one. Sucks but it is what it is.

So you think only people that can afford it should have access to abortion. Do you feel that way about any other kinds of health care?

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Good for him. He's always been a moderate on abortion relative to his Democrat peers. If he would take one or two more steps away from the butchery I'd happily vote for him, just as I will for John Bel Edwards.
lying.jpg

lol. God doesn't like little liars.

When posting, please use your wordS. WORDSSSSSSSS.

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited:

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
So you think only people that can afford it should have access to abortion. Do you feel that way about any other kinds of health care?

No, I have no idea what the solution is. Donations? Not sure, but effectively forcing people to pay for something they are so philosophically and religiously against is wrong and will be how they go after doing away with abortion entirely. I want abortion to be available as a choice to any woman that needs it, but I also want to respect the people that disagree with it.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
No, I have no idea what the solution is. Donations? Not sure, but effectively forcing people to pay for something they are so philosophically and religiously against is wrong and will be how they go after doing away with abortion entirely. I want abortion to be available as a choice to any woman that needs it, but I also want to respect the people that disagree with it.

womp womp....everybody pays for things they disagree with. Why does any group deserve a privilege?

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
I don't want my tax dollars going to manufactured pointless wars, great walls of vanity, Donald Trumps endless golf outings. But I don't have a choice in the matter right now. How do I opt out?

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
I don't want my tax dollars going to manufactured pointless wars, great walls of vanity, Donald Trumps endless golf outings. But I don't have a choice in the matter right now. How do I opt out?
Or tax cuts for the rich, subsidies for Big oil, etc.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
With all the crap Trump does and gets away with.... we're talking about THIS?
Joe Biden vs Donald Trump?
Thats like comparing Joe Biden to Satan.
TRUST ME ON THIS, support Joe before supporting Satan.
And as with both Satan and Trump, you don't just support them, you SELL YOUR VERY SOUL to them.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Joe Biden is there for one reason, to keep someone like Warren or Sanders away from his corporate friends because like all the other establishment types he will say whatever is necessary on wedge issues as long as he takes care of his rich friends while in office,

because now those same corporate friends who had no problem using Trump for their tax cuts and other benefits the rich could get out of him, have finally realized that Trump is a loose cannon when he started to blow holes in their economic ship by starting to cut them off from their cheap Chinese and Mexican serfs,

but as usual the democrats fall into their social justice wedge issues that republicans will love to beat them over the head with, because those issues are easy and convenient scapegoats to keep the eyes off the economic issues that are the leading reason behind many of this country's problems.

Both Bill Clinton and Barack Obama realized that the economic issues was their ticket into the White House not social justice issues.

Reactions: obidamnkenobi

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Joe Biden is there for one reason, to keep someone like Warren or Sanders away from his corporate friends because like all the other establishment types he will say whatever is necessary on wedge issues as long as he takes care of his rich friends while in office,

because now those same corporate friends who had no problem using Trump for their tax cuts and other benefits the rich could get out of him, have finally realized that Trump is a loose cannon when he started to blow holes in their economic ship by starting to cut them off from their cheap Chinese and Mexican serfs,

but as usual the democrats fall into their social justice wedge issues that republicans will love to beat them over the head with, because those issues are easy and convenient scapegoats to keep the eyes off the economic issues that are the leading reason behind many of this country's problems.

Both Bill Clinton and Barack Obama realized that the economic issues was their ticket into the White House not social justice issues.

Thanks for sharing another tiresome episode of "1prophet spews demagoguery".

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
Seen it before, the guy comes off as a dick.
I know, Biden is a totally shitheat. More Republican than many republicans only a few years ago! Supported bombing more people, harder drug war, unfortunate (?) racism, creepy AF? Sounds like a perfect republican to me!

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
Thanks for sharing another tiresome episode of "1prophet spews demagoguery".

To be fair it's not wrong that Biden, Buttigieg, etc are being pushed as more "electable" by the establishment Dems because they don't threated the corporate/rich faction of the party. This is a pretty uncontroversial fact. They say the right things on gun control, cops should shoot fewer black people etc; uncontroversial issues all Dems agree on. But don't threaten any more taxes on the wealthy since they know liberal fat cats will "go full fash" before paying a penny more in taxes, i.e. vote Trump. Heck, that's the stated goal of the Starbucks guy! He'll only run if Sanders or Warren is the nominee, so he hope to toss the election to trump. He'd rather have drooling psycho grampa another 4 years than pay a few more percent on his 100s of millions!