Joe Arpaio loses a multi million dollar lawsuit by Journalists

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Angry Irishman

Golden Member
Jan 25, 2010
He is only describing what he sees in his altered reality. California and San Francisco are boogie men under the bed of brain defective conservatives news organizations and he's been infected by them. He stands in horror as the cultural developments in California become the norms of the world. Homo Californicus is sweeping the world.

You're apparently god damned mentally ill and you're diagnosing me?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Although I disagree with Joe's actions here, the OP and title of the thread are completely inaccurate. He didnt lose anything. The case was settled out of court.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Although I disagree with Joe's actions here, the OP and title of the thread are completely inaccurate. He didnt lose anything. The case was settled out of court.

I don't know if I would go so far as to say it was 'completely inaccurate'. There's a reason why the county is paying two people nearly $4 million and it's not because going to trial seemed like too much work. They settled after a repeated series of legal setbacks because they knew it was highly likely they would lose at trial.

Arpaio is an embarrassment to Maricopa County and to this country as a whole. He's a cheap thug.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I don't know if I would go so far as to say it was 'completely inaccurate'. There's a reason why the county is paying two people nearly $4 million and it's not because going to trial seemed like too much work. They settled after a repeated series of legal setbacks because they knew it was highly likely they would lose at trial.

Arpaio is an embarrassment to Maricopa County and to this country as a whole. He's a cheap thug.

It is inaccurate. Sheriff Joe did not lose a multimillion dollar lawsuit as the title states. Losing a lawsuit means a judge or jury found the defendant guilty of charges. Which did not happen.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It is inaccurate. Sheriff Joe did not lose a multimillion dollar lawsuit as the title states. Losing a lawsuit means a judge or jury found the defendant guilty of charges. Which did not happen.

Right. When a lawsuit is filed and the defending party surrenders by paying the plaintiff millions of dollars before trial, that is technically not a 'loss'.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Right. When a lawsuit is filed and the defending party surrenders by paying the plaintiff millions of dollars before trial, that is technically not a 'loss'.

Or, conversely, when a lawsuit is filed and the plaintiff becomes unsure if a win is probable in court, instead of taking the chance, they settle.

Either way, the OP is incorrect.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Or, conversely, when a lawsuit is filed and the plaintiff becomes unsure if a win is probable in court, instead of taking the chance, they settle.

They are unsure if they will win, so they take a payout of nearly $4 million.

Come on, man.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002

PretzelLogic.jpg

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
They are unsure if they will win, so they take a payout of nearly $4 million.

Come on, man.

I think you need to read more about this particular lawsuit before rushing to judgement that Arpaio is not the (only) bad guy here.

From the article linked in the OP:
Earlier today, the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors ratified a $3.75 million settlement of our lawsuit filed in 2008 against Sheriff Arpaio and special Maricopa County prosecutor Dennis Wilenchik. This follows a June 9, 2011, finding in our favor by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals with respect to efforts by Arpaio and Wilenchik to escape liability for their actions.
So, it was as I stated. Nothing wouldve been gained by going to trial.

Also, it was the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors that settled this, not Arpaio. If youre interested in getting the full story about this among other strings of lawsuits filed, you can get a good outline HERE.

There's alot of to complain about regarding sheriff joe, but lets get the details correct, shall we?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I think you need to read more about this particular lawsuit before rushing to judgement that Arpaio is not the (only) bad guy here.

From the article linked in the OP:
So, it was as I stated. Nothing wouldve been gained by going to trial.

Also, it was the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors that settled this, not Arpaio. If youre interested in getting the full story about this among other strings of lawsuits filed, you can get a good outline HERE.

There's alot of to complain about regarding sheriff joe, but lets get the details correct, shall we?

My details are correct, nothing here says anything different than what I've said. The choice to settle or not has never been Arpaio's, as the county is the one being sued for his actions.

My argument is not that you're wrong, but that it doesn't matter much. The county settled because they knew they would lose, and while Arpaio himself was not on the hook for damages, it is a lawsuit based around his actions.

If that's not good enough for you, ok.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
My details are correct, nothing here says anything different than what I've said. The choice to settle or not has never been Arpaio's, as the county is the one being sued for his actions.

My argument is not that you're wrong, but that it doesn't matter much. The county settled because they knew they would lose, and while Arpaio himself was not on the hook for damages, it is a lawsuit based around his actions.

If that's not good enough for you, ok.

Fair enough.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

On the other hand, President Obama is a source of great pride to this country as a whole because he is a very expensive thug. Arrest people = bad. Blow up and spy on people = good. Long as you've got the magic letter anyway.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
On the other hand, President Obama is a source of great pride to this country as a whole because he is a very expensive thug. Arrest people = bad. Blow up and spy on people = good. Long as you've got the magic letter anyway.

What are you babbling about now? I oppose Obama on both his unilateral execution of Anwar al-Awlaki and his warrantless wiretapping.

Seriously guy, you're losing it.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
What are you babbling about now? I oppose Obama on both his unilateral execution of Anwar al-Awlaki and his warrantless wiretapping.

Seriously guy, you're losing it.
LOL You oppose Obama on his warrantless wiretapping by blaming it on Congressional Republicans.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
LOL You oppose Obama on his warrantless wiretapping by blaming it on Congressional Republicans.

You see it's posts like this that I'm thinking of when I call you a liar.

This kind of pathological dishonesty is disturbing.