Jobs that involve playing video games?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
Except as QA, you rarely shape the game.

The thing that can (somewhat) shape the game is outside focus groups.
People who have *never* seen the game.

It's fantastic watching people stare at your game, and watch them fail at understanding what you think is so obvious.

The feedback from focus groups go back to design and either cements what they already know is wrong with the game, or gives genuinely new feedback that players aren't understanding key concepts / mechanics for your game.

I don't mean in terms of development of story, mechanics, etc. I know that's not normally taken from a QA tester, but I enjoy bug hunting, finding exploits etc. that are fixed or they have to change something slightly to avoid it being an issue :p I'm the type of player for betas that actively reports almost every bug I come across.

There's another job you could try your hand at, being a professional gamer!

Last edited:

tHa ShIzNiT

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2000
Being self-employed, or owning a business maybe...those things are kinda hard to come by though.

Or, here's one idea I have always had, because I also would love to have this kind of job. Working at a liquor store that you own. I go into liquor stores sometimes and the guys there just sit there all day, watching movies or playing games on a small TV behind the counter. Thats the life for me. Someone debunk my theory!

Of course, you could get robbed and whatever else bad stuff happens to those people. I dunno, open one in a good area.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
Does management get to play games that much? I'd think they'd have other things to do.

They definitely get to play the game - how much of your day you play depends on what role ( how high up ) you get in management.

You'll have designers or programmers or artists reporting to you what they're doing, how their time is tracking, any blockers in their way etc.

You *need* to play the game to understand how your developers are progressing and be able to intelligently assign resources and understand the current issues.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
Being self-employed, or owning a business maybe...those things are kinda hard to come by though.

Or, here's one idea I have always had, because I also would love to have this kind of job. Working at a liquor store that you own. I go into liquor stores sometimes and the guys there just sit there all day, watching movies or playing games on a small TV behind the counter. Thats the life for me. Someone debunk my theory!

Of course, you could get robbed and whatever else bad stuff happens to those people. I dunno, open one in a good area.

LOL. Yeah. being retail is it's own special kind of hell. Wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Of course, if that is your thing, the best you can get would be night security at a hotel. Heck, even night desk work would do the trick. When there is no one around for hours and hours.

But not self employed, because it may not seem like it, but those guys work hard. And when they aren't working hard they stress about how much they are not making because they aren't working hard (no customers mean no sales means no rent money for next month).

Dec 30, 2004
What are some examples of jobs that revolve around playing video games?

I don't quite mean "making" video games; I'm extremely weak at math, am struggling to pass intermediate algebra this semester, and I don't think I could ever become a competent programmer.

I suppose I could maybe help design a a game, but my creative ability is nearly non-existent.

So what jobs involve playing lots of video games? And don't require math?

You know, uhh, just in case I was considering working with games.

you're probably worthless by society's standards. There are a lot of you. The people who think they are worth something try to suppress the ones of you that suck at life.

But there's more to life than being good at it.

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
What are some examples of jobs that revolve around playing video games?

Realistically your only option is probably on the retail side. Gamestop, Best Buy, etc...

Your other option is to start learning and make a game. Teach yourself everything you need to know, from coding to graphic design, and put something out there. If you like it, go to school to learn more about it.

If you don't have the drive and the intelligence to learn how to make games, then you'll never work in the game-making business.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
Dan - I think you're selling yourself short; while the technical side of building the game may not be your desire, you're consistently well-written and have well thought out opinions. You're not a typical game-forum troll poster.

There are definite needs in the industry for people with your skills.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
you're probably worthless by society's standards. There are a lot of you. The people who think they are worth something try to suppress the ones of you that suck at life.

But there's more to life than being good at it.

You know what that makes you, don't you?

and just because you think you are worth something, it doesn't follow that you are.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
IT Manager in a company that has no IT staff, just me. I game all freaking day and get paid!......J/K, but I could play all day and no one would know.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
I am still not clear on why you would want to play video games for a living. Sure, it would be fun for a while. but after a time, you would have to come to terms with the fact that you couldn't play your games when you wanted too. And then when you had free time, the last thing you would want to do is do the same thing that you did at work all day.

Just my opinion.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Dan - I think you're selling yourself short; while the technical side of building the game may not be your desire, you're consistently well-written and have well thought out opinions. You're not a typical game-forum troll poster.

There are definite needs in the industry for people with your skills.

I'm flattered. :$ Writing about games doesn't sound too bad. Writing about anything doesn't sound bad, really, as long as it's something you're passionate about. :hmm:

I am still not clear on why you would want to play video games for a living. Sure, it would be fun for a while. but after a time, you would have to come to terms with the fact that you couldn't play your games when you wanted too. And then when you had free time, the last thing you would want to do is do the same thing that you did at work all day.

Just my opinion.

You're right. And obviously playing video games is, er, not one of the most lucrative pursuits out there. I'm just using wishful thinking I guess.

I'm not hurting for a job right now. I already work as a video editor and web developer for a small company that makes educational materials and software. It's not as prestigious as it sounds; I don't get payed much, I'm only 20 and I don't have any credentials other than a high school diploma. It's nice but not really enjoyable. I do fantasize about working in something games-related.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
I don't know man, I think having to play a game a certain way or do certain things while playing would suck the most important thing I love about gaming out of it.....the fun. I don't even try for trophies, achievements, etc. when I play because I just want to run around dominating peoples' faces...hehe

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
I'm flattered. :$ Writing about games doesn't sound too bad. Writing about anything doesn't sound bad, really, as long as it's something you're passionate about. :hmm:

Video game mags are a decent business, or start your own review site with your own funds if you believe in your idea and are willing to put in the almost sleepless nights for a while to get it up and running.

If you want to work for magazines/review sites playing games, you're going to need writing samples and probably some formal experience in the field (or go back to college and get a degree in it).

Veliko

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2011
I had a brief stint as a computer games reviewer. The website sent me the games, I played them, wrote a review, got £10 for it.

It's shit. Forcing yourself to play through some crap like Medal of Honor: Rising Sun on the PS2, is painful.

Don't do it.

Dkcode

May 1, 2005
I knew as much. I'd also argue that some testing jobs are better than others; some are monotonous, soul-crushing boredom fests, and others can be fairly nice if you're working for the right studio (source: friend who's worked as a tester). But you're right. There's probably a massive influx of kids who think "Ooh, getting payed to play video game?" only to realize they're required to walk into walls for 8 hours to test for holes in the geometry.

I really need to find something else to be good at.

Try not to worry too much about it mate, it does you no good in the long run and you will find your niche eventually. Usually through trial and error.

The things your actually good at are never the obvious things that you think you may be good at.

Necrolezbeast

Apr 11, 2002
Get good and/or develop and extremely eccentric personality and stream a popular game on twitch.tv ? I watch a lot of Heroes of Newerth just because of a player named MoonMeander... the kid is freaking hilarious, completely curb stomps people and then throws down his various theme songs, gets up and does a victory dance for 3 minutes to "Neva Eva" or "Gangnam Style" while sitting in the middle of the map... then he whips out his obnoxiously over exaggerated Chinese accent and says funny things about "doin da maffs". He also always eats in front of the camera and before bed does a little philosophical speech about whatever random thing he decides to talk about in a soft and serious tone with some serious background music going on.

Anyway, he's good at the game and hilarious to watch... so he gets a lot of viewers and can earn some money from the ad revenue, playing professionally, and from viewers paying some money to play a few games with him. You could always try this route :)

reallyscrued

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2004
00b739ed-45fc-4333-98ca-448d4271e9f2.jpg

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
What about "reviewing/walk through" games and posting them on youtube? You'd have to do something to make them very entertaining [ie: look at the Yog Cast videos] so people will actually want to watch them. Depending upon how good the videos are could generate enough cash flow each month so you don't have to get a "real job"

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Self-admitted lack of creativity. Poor math skills. Live in Utah.
So we know what LessThanDan is not good at, but what are you good at LessThanDan?

You need to figure that out. Almost everybody is good at something. If you can't think of anything you are good at you might have some self esteem issues and you might think about talking to a counselor. Of course counselors are a mixed bag. A good one can be a big help but a bad one might just waste your time or worse.

When I was a kid the back of some magazines had strange adds that were designed to get people thinking about their futures. The caption would read something like "Johnny likes catching frogs down by the creek, what kind of job do you think that will that get him?" Then down at the bottom the ad would read something like "Well actually kids that catch frogs (or whatever) and like to be in nature often grow up to be forest rangers (or whatever)."

Finally, I learned from my parents. Dad always made a good living but typically hated his job, while mom typically liked her jobs but she never made enough to support the family. My job is in the middle. I don't love it but it ain't bad and I make enough.

Having a good paying job you actually like is fairly rare. If you pull it off, great, good for you. Just keep in mind you might end up needing to take a job that is boring or whatever, especially when you are younger and have no work experience. Sure the crappy job sucks but if you do well in your crappy job you gain experience and have something to put on your resume for next time. Eventually you should be able to land a good or at least tolerable job.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Game testing sounds like hell to me:

Be assigned to play games that you don't like, while the game is still broken, then have to play the same broken area over and over and over.

Then over and over some more once the new build is ready.

Then over and over still more once the new new build is ready.

I'd rather be a greeter at Wal-Mart.

i just got out of a session of staring at a screen for 9 hours, doing just that. it's not good. we're not paid to play games, we're paid to do stuff like start the game, look at the intro screen and then switch it off.

then change the resolution down one notch, reboot and repeat.

yesterday i was doing a playthrough with 480 4:3 through a SCART on a gorgeous SAMSUNG with all video options turned off, fake 4:3 res, man i haven't seen such shit since my intellivision back 30years ago.

it's fucking boring m8, if you can do anything at all in life but this, do it.

@reallyscrued

believe it or not, this job makes me want to play videogames way more than before.