jobs in the tech industry

tkim

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2000
how hard is the tech sector hurting where you live? here in the bay area, it's bad. no one is hiring. i'm glad i got a job before all this hit but since i'm the new guy, i'd be the first to go if my firm laid people off. scary sh1t!!!

where u at and how bad is it?

Buddhist

Golden Member
Jan 15, 2000
"how hard is the tech sector hurting where you live? here in the bay area, it's bad. no one is hiring. i'm glad i got a job before all this hit but since i'm the new guy, i'd be the first to go if my firm laid people off. scary sh1t!!"

you can say that again. :(
-M.T.O

Mikal

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2001
Would you like an Apple Turnover with that MCSE?

Another reason I'm glad I don't live in Hel..... California.

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000

<< here in the bay area, it's bad. no one is hiring >>

You must not really be looking because here in the bay area you can find a job easy.

Buddhist

Golden Member
Jan 15, 2000
&quot;You must not really be looking because here in the bay area you can find a job easy.&quot;

Wrong bay area Yakko. ;)
-M.T.O

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm laughing my ass off at this thread, but I'm not sure why...

;)

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Sucks ass in my area. Far more layoffs are occuring than hires and unfortunately I was one of the first. I have a friend who whines about his crappy job but I think I'm serving as an example to him that its better than nothing.

Kosugi

Jan 9, 2001
hehe,

Good point Yakko. We all know there is only one real &quot;Bay Area&quot; in the US. And it's the one with the good football team! ;)

Try Texas, I hear that its a hot jobs area right now. Tampa is getting better.

obiwaynekenobi

Golden Member
May 18, 2001
yeah, The jobs here are as hard to find as a needle in a stack of needles.
of course this is what I get for moving to hicks and rednecks wisconsin.
God I miss the city.

Buddhist

Golden Member
Jan 15, 2000
&quot;The jobs here are as hard to find as a needle in a stack of needles.&quot;

Man i'd hate to have to search through that...

;)

-M.T.O

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
The lower end jobs are getting cut out. People with advanced degrees/certificates/experience will likely be able to keep their current job and find others. It is simply a shift need for higher quality techs, as the tech sector is still growing overall. I find plenty of job listings (though less for helpdesk jobs like the one I am at).

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Yep, if you have a lot of experience you're set. I only have a degree and a year's experience and half an MCSD and I can hardly even land an interview; then they always hire somebody with more experience anyway even though I nail the technical. fvcking sucks

Buddhist

Golden Member
Jan 15, 2000
i've got 0 work experience, but by the end of this month i'll have a ccnp, ccdp and my BS in CIS degree.

still hard to find job prospects in the bay area. (yes yakko, CALIFORNIA)

-M.T.O

tkim

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2000
lotta people go the help desk route then move up....i heard that even help desk isn't hiring.

obiwaynekenobi

Golden Member
May 18, 2001
I did Internet Help desk in my last job. and was being paid dang well.

company decided to cut expenses.

sucks! this area basiclly has no tech sector, so unless I keep this job I'm sunk. or I go work at Burger King or McD's or something.

The Wildcard

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 1999
I think alot of IT people are being cut. Companies are figuring out that instead of having 10 IT professionals, we'll layoff 5-6, and increase the pay of the remaining 4-5 people.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Or wildcard Cut half and keep the salary the same for the others. If they don't like it they can take off.

I know a guy making minimum wage now. He has a degree and experience and makes minimum wage as a developer because he knows he needs all the experience he can get (only has a year so far) before venturing into a job that pays what he needs.

AmigaMan

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
It's not bad here in the RTP area of NC. Wouldn't you like to move to NC...we have the beaches an hour or two away, the mountains an hour or two away, and you get the added honor of saying your from the same general area that Anandtech is based in. Never seen &quot;The Boss&quot; though....

Fearlss1

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2000
Yes in Texas the comp. werk firce is quite nice.. You can work in DAllAS or Austin,, Phat cash for the computer techs there. man I heard you can werk as a tech for gateway country and make around 30-35k a yr.. Not bad.. There are soo many jobs for the computer oriented here most large cities in Texas.. I work for a computer store in a city of 100,000 people fairly small but great pay.. all I do is fix/sale/build machines and icq and At,, muahhahahah
gotta love my job.
-Nate