Jobfair tomorrow. Any tips??

Swag1138

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2000
Im with Monel, but forget the beer, bring a bottle of Cognac, it will make you look more dignified, and the people at Jobfairs like that.

kantonburg

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Carry a lot of resumes around. Also dress nice and present yourself well. You have ONE chance to impress the people that will probably see 200-1000 people in that short time, depending on school. Also know your strengths in your studies so you can emphasize on those. Make eye contact and just be nice :) Don't act shy.

One example our Dean gave us was two guys were interviewed, one our Dean thought was probably our best student and another he didn't know. The company picked the one he didn't know and asked the company why at the break period. The company said the unknown kid presented himself with confidence and poise.

oh and shake hands like a man :D

KingHam

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Nothing reeks of dignity quite like a bottle of King Cobra in a paper bag.

KingHam

Croton

Banned
Jan 18, 2000
confidence is a big plus.

dress NICE. business attire...

bring a crapload of resumes. put them in those cool leather portfolio thingies.

make sure your breath doesn't stink. this is a moot point, but imho, important. bring some tic tacs.

smile and be confident!!

don't try and BS your way -- just talk about stuff you are good at.

and yes, shake hands like a MAN.

I'm Typing

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have hired over 400 people in my days as a "businessman."

A few of the qualities all of my "hirees" had:

1) Self-confidence (or at least the appearance of it)
2) Good Attitude--a smile and open personality
3) Quick wit
4) Good dress(neat not stylish)
5) Well-groomed

Make sure your resume has no spelling errors. Get the names of the persons you talk to; and make sure they remember yours. Be agressive but not pushy. DO NOT ask them how much the job pays, that is a sure killer. You should have the attitude of "what can I do for you" not "what can you do for me?"

The most important thing I can stress is that you have to follow up on the initial interview. Contact the company, by phone, within a day of the job fair, and ask for a second interview--the first interview happens right there at the fair.

Read the "Knock 'Em Dead" series of books, particulary the one on interviewing, before you go to your second interview. My first boss at this company asked me questions directly from the Knock 'em Dead book on interviews. And I had the perfect answers, since I had read the same book the night before!

DanC

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2000
If you want advice from a hiring manager for a major computer company PM me.