Job well done Obama

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Here is this TV ad. Of course it was done for political reasons, but McCain and his campaign could have chosen to do a different type of ad that would have done just as much good for McCain's campaign.

McCain said he would run a different campaign, and while he has attacked Obama on different fronts, he is going about it a little differently. This is a great ad and a nice change.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
JOHN MCCAIN: Senator Obama, this is truly a good day for America.

Too often the achievements of our opponents go unnoticed. So I wanted to stop and say, congratulations.

How perfect that your nomination would come on this historic day. Tomorrow, we'll be back at it. But tonight Senator, job well done.

:thumbsup:

andy04

Dec 14, 2006
aww.... poor Obama... did McCain say that... BAD McCain

Issues ppl Issues... enough whining already, if one side is doing it thats no excuse for you doing it too... speak on issues, tell me what you are going to do for me if you become the big P. As of now it looks like all you are going to do it replace a dumb white ass with a black one.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
They must have changed the instructions on the chip in his neck. :)

Nice sportsmanship Senator...for the first time this campaign cycle.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Dari
Hopefully he'll be saying that on the night of Nov. 4th.

McCain lost to a dirtbag like Bush and got over it, I'm sure he'll get over losing to Obama quickly enough.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
He wasted money on that?

Then again, by accepting public financing, he has plenty of money to waste before September.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
I don't even see why this was necessary.. and he could've got free air time if he had told any one of the big networks he wanted to say that after the speech.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Farang
I don't even see why this was necessary.. and he could've got free air time if he had told any one of the big networks he wanted to say that after the speech.
I think it is traditional to not run around doing TV spots during the other sides convention.
They both tend to stay clear of each other for those four days.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Smart move by McCain, he's praising Obama without having to endorse any of his positions. So McCain looks classy and doesn't have to alter his message. Good idea.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
"Tomorrow I'll go back to my slimy insinuations, smears, misquotes, stretches, twists, spins, misleading out of context statements and outright lies, but tonight, congrats!"

How heartfelt. Maybe it would mean something if he ran the respectful campaign he promised he would all those months ago, right before cackling and proclaiming that Hamas "endorsed" Obama. He's run a negative campaign for months now, so this gesture is as empty as his slurs against Obama's lack of patriotism or love of country.

Hope TDS runs this followed by a montage of all the 'nice' things he's said about BO.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
Originally posted by: jonks
"Tomorrow I'll go back to my slimy insinuations, smears, misquotes, stretches, twists, spins, misleading out of context statements and outright lies, but tonight, congrats!"

How heartfelt. Maybe it would mean something if he ran the respectful campaign he promised he would all those months ago, right before cackling and proclaiming that Hamas "endorsed" Obama. He's run a negative campaign for months now, so this gesture is as empty as his slurs against Obama's lack of patriotism or love of country.

Hope TDS runs this followed by a montage of all the 'nice' things he's said about BO.

Obama is just as bad as keeping his pledge to run a respectful campaign.

Welcome to Presidential Election politics.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
I think it is traditional to not run around doing TV spots during the other sides convention.

A short congratulations I don't think would be criticized (if only because any critics from the Obama camp would look terrible), and if the tradition is to not run around doing TV spots that wouldn't explain him running an ad directly following the other candidate's speech.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007

A short congratulations I don't think would be criticized (if only because any critics from the Obama camp would look terrible), and if the tradition is to not run around doing TV spots that wouldn't explain him running an ad directly following the other candidate's speech.

Is there anything he could do you would not criticize him for?

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: ZeroIQ

I'm not saying it is wrong what he is doing, it just doesn't make tactical sense to me so I don't see why he is a) wasting money on air time he could have got for free and b) wasting money on air time with no substantive message at all.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: ZeroIQ

I'm not saying it is wrong what he is doing, it just doesn't make tactical sense to me so I don't see why he is a) wasting money on air time he could have got for free and b) wasting money on air time with no substantive message at all.

It's pretty simple. Many people are watching the dem convention to see what Obama has to offer. John McCain comes on and offers his congratulations, people will look at McCain in a different light and as a different kind of politician and will cast a whole other light on him for many people. Also it will swing some of the Hillary supporters who were not convinced by her speech the other night.

I think it's a great tactical move... sure it doesn't say much about his policies or attack Obama, but it does say a lot about his character. Plus, he promised to run a different kind of campaign - and this definitely is different.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: QED

No he isn't. Negative ads work and McCain did it. That left Obama with no choice.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Thats nice. This isn't a bad move for Mccain or any candidate because win or lose Obama being the candidate is historic. This is a good day in America that we can have a black man running on this level.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005

No he isn't. Negative ads work and McCain did it. That left Obama with no choice.

What fantasy world do you live in? You honestly thought any candidate could go the whole election cycle without going negative? It ain't ever gonna happen...

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

could it have been -- dare I say -- a preemptive attack?

the Obama camp didn't hesitate to paint the Clintons as racists in the primaries, McCain had no reason to expect Obama to be any more above the belt in the general election, and Obama proved him right.