Job screening...alcohol test? huh?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
My company tests for alcohol based on RECENT alcohol consumption. We are not allowed to consume alcohol for at least 4 hours before our shift, and even longer if the alcohol will not be completely clear of our system with a 4hr window.

KarmaPolice

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Where I work they do random drug tests....and they actually do it constantly..and they test for alcohol. Its just a breathalyser tho, they just want to make sure you aren't on the job drunk.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: KarmaPolice
Where I work they do random drug tests....and they actually do it constantly..and they test for alcohol. Its just a breathalyser tho, they just want to make sure you aren't on the job drunk.

Is that at BK?

Old Hippie

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2005
It's going to be a urine test and I am kinda worried about this.
Elimination of alcohol from the body is @ 1oz. per hour. An oz. is considered one beer or shot. Unless you are an extreme drinker, 24 hrs. of abstinence will be plenty to make ya pass.

Good Luck on the job!

5to1baby1in5

Golden Member
Apr 27, 2001
Originally posted by: IHAVEAQUESTION
I heard of drug test and was expected that but my potential job requires an alcohol test. It's going to be a urine test and I am kinda worried about this. I do my fair bit of drinking so this probably won't bode well for me. Has anyone done this before? What can I do to avoid unfavorable outcome? I've stopped drinking for the last few days but...

Anyone?

Maybe they want to make sure you can hold your alchohol.

Try showing up tanked. :D

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: homercles337
GGT can show that you have consumed alcohol in the last week. Is this for security clearance? If you do you fair bit of drinking youre not going to get clearance. Sorry.

I know some people who got TS/SCI and they were never tested for alcohol.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
I don't understand this paranoia about alcohol
when I go out for lunch with the colleagues, most of us have a beer or drink wine

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Modular
I'm pretty sure that alcohol only stays in your system for 24 hours or so. It's not like it's illegal like pot, crack, etc. so if you show up that you drink it shouldn't mean anything.

Yupp,
don't get wasted the nigh before and you'll be alright...

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Originally posted by: freegeeks
when I go out for lunch with the colleagues, most of us have a beer or drink wine

Do you get a paid lunch hour? Sometimes that makes a difference - I've had one drink at lunch for a special occasion, but if I was "on the clock" (ie: paid lunch), I wouldn't be drinking.

At my current job, I let my boss set the precedent. He doesn't drink at lunch, so neither do I.

The drug screen the lab runs for us is a standard screen for the company (and checks for alcohol). If we suspect an employee is drunk at work, we'll send them to the lab to be tested. New hires do the same test their first day, I imagine it's just easier than having two forms for "new hire" and "boss thinks the operator is drunk/high".

Chryso

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2004
Originally posted by: jagec
Originally posted by: BrownTown
Alcohol is part of the standard screening of every drug test I've taken, and they test if you are drunk during the test, not if you have ever drank in your life. Drinking is perfectly legal and theres nothing wrong with that, the problem is drinking ON THE JOB. IF you fail a scheduled drug test because of alcohol you are literally the dumbest person in the world, you could go out drinking the night before the test and still pass. Really there are only a few drugs that last more than a week, Benzodiazapens last a few week, and marijuana can last a month.

Exactly.

What does it being legal have to do with it? What if I just got back from a vacation in Amsterdam where I smoked pot legally? I haven't broken any laws.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
Originally posted by: MrBond
Originally posted by: freegeeks

Do you get a paid lunch hour? Sometimes that makes a difference - I've had one drink at lunch for a special occasion, but if I was "on the clock" (ie: paid lunch), I wouldn't be drinking.

At my current job, I let my boss set the precedent. He doesn't drink at lunch, so neither do I.

The drug screen the lab runs for us is a standard screen for the company (and checks for alcohol). If we suspect an employee is drunk at work, we'll send them to the lab to be tested. New hires do the same test their first day, I imagine it's just easier than having two forms for "new hire" and "boss thinks the operator is drunk/high".

nope not paid.

I'm a Belgian working in Spain. When I worked for a Belgian telco, the company restaurant served beer and wine. In Spain it's perfectly normal to drink beer and wine during lunch.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Chryso
What does it being legal have to do with it? What if I just got back from a vacation in Amsterdam where I smoked pot legally? I haven't broken any laws.

The legality wasn't what I was highlighting. I was reaffirming that what they care about is whether or not you're drunk during the test, since drinking on the job is a problem.

Marijuana is a separate issue, and that's neither here nor there.