job review

Nerva

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
I got my reviews last week and the result was not good. While some of the things mentioned are true, most of the things I disagree with completely. i am just wondering, do you guys get asked to sign the review? i know there is the clause where you state you neither agree nor disagree with the comments. but i am afraid i still dont want to sign it, it may come back to haunt me in the future.

what do you guys think? is this file kept internally for the company only?

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
I get reviewed 3 times a year. So far, I can't disagree with anything that's been in my reviews. There's a section I can enter my own comments along with my signature field.

Edit: I guess I should specify that my reviews have been good. I do the things asked of me and try to do things that aren't necessarily assigned to me.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Wow...Office Space comes to mind immediately! :Q

Possibly, your position is being reviewed for outsourcing/consolidation? You may not have a choice whether to sign or not.

The things that are true...what are they? Are you habitually late for work? Take 234 cigarette breaks per hour, etc?

UnixFreak

Platinum Member
Nov 27, 2000
At my last company, I used to do a yearly review, I had to write 5 pages about what I'd done the previous year. Reviews always went well until the last one. The boss did not like me, and was afraid I was going to take his job (I was more educated and qualified) so he gave me a "meets expectations". This was after I'd given 90 hours a week or more for 6 months on a project that had made the company a lot of money.

He never said anything bad, just said I was pretty average. All my reviews before that were outstanding. So shortly after that, I started searching for another job. I no longer work there.

If you're getting bad reviews, either you're screwing up, or being underappreciated. You should evaluate the situation with yourself honestly, and figure out which one it is, and act on it. Just my two cents.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i got one once at year at my previous jobs. i haven't had an official review here yte though (2 years)

ScottFern

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
I am getting one in September because thats the month I was hired. I can't wait for mine because I am asking for a big raise! 6k but I definitely need it and deserve it for what the job demands.

Nerva

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
some of the things were true and i definitely need to work on them. but most are not and i do not care to go into the details of why. but should i sign? does everyone sign their reviews?

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
you have to sign it, otherwise you might as well quit now

just make a statement if you feel that strongly, here, we can write out a rebuttal if you are so inclined

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
We are supposed to have them every year in March but due to acquisitions this year that's not gonna be happening. I'd expect to see mine around August or September. The good news is that any increase is retroactive to March. This is also when we find out what our bonus will be.

The only real thing that shows up negatively on each of my reviews is that I'm habitually late (10-20 min). Though it is overlooked since I'm here every single day, stay late when needed, work through lunches about twice a week, and haven't taken a sick day in over 3 years.

Nerva

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
so you are suppose to sign either way?

my reluctance comes from the fact that i do not want to put my signature on a piece of paper that has anything bad written about me.

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
Reviews in my company are for raises. If you make a good argument for why you should make more, you usually get it. If you have no argument why you should get a raise, you don't get one. If you're going to get fired, it's not going to happen because of a bad review.

EDIT: And to answer your question, not signing it is a bad decision.

Firebot

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2005
Originally posted by: 3cho
is this something that will ever get out in the open?

Not unless you sue them for firing you when you don't sign your own performance review.

Nerva

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
Originally posted by: Firebot
is this something that will ever get out in the open?

Not unless you sue them for firing you when you don't sign your own performance review.

are you being serious?

also, either way, people sign their reviews right, regardless good or bad?

rsd

Platinum Member
Dec 30, 2003
Is this your first job review ever? I assume you are fairly young then?

No offense because who knows what you agree/disagree with it over, but you sound like you don't take criticism very well and/or have a poor attitude.

If its something that you can improve on, make a concerted effort through the year to "fix" whatever it is that you disagree with (or just look for another job).

Nerva

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
Originally posted by: rsd

No offense because who knows what you agree/disagree with it over, but you sound like you don't take criticism very well and/or have a poor attitude.

If its something that you can improve on, make a concerted effort through the year to "fix" whatever it is that you disagree with (or just look for another job).

you have a good point. but that's not the question i am asking. i am asking, in general, whether people sign their reviews regardless good or bad.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
i am asking, in general, whether people sign their reviews regardless good or bad.

yes, most/all company's have a policy that you sign your review acknowledging that you have read the review and your supervisor discussed it with you

if you refuse to follow the company policy to sign your review, you might as well start looking for another job, you aren't a "team player" at the least or by outright disregarding company policy, they might just fire you

SIGN IT

fLum0x

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2004
i have my review tomorrow. Our reviews are for our raises and to fight for it i guess. I am not really sure. Anyone have any suggestions about what to say since this is my first real review? I could work on things, yes...but i feel that i don't get paid to work my butt off 50-60 hours a week all the time. Should i even bring up the fact that i know more about the business than everyone else in the department (8 i think) and i have only been here a year? Should i bring up that i am more technology savvy with new applications and such compared to the people who have been here 5 and 11 years and get paid 25% more than me? I don't really know what to bring up to argue the point. I am clearly doing more work and more difficult work than others in the group, but do i really try to be arrogant and say i am better?

rsd

Platinum Member
Dec 30, 2003

you have a good point. but that's not the question i am asking. i am asking, in general, whether people sign their reviews regardless good or bad.

Express your concern/disagreement with your supervisor in a polite, professional manner and understand clearly from him what their concerns are and ask specifically what you can to improve (try to get specific goals). Sign it, and move on.

Nerva

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005

Express your concern/disagreement with your supervisor in a polite, professional manner and understand clearly from him what their concerns are and ask specifically what you can to improve (try to get specific goals). Sign it, and move on.

i am afraid that is quite impossible with the nature of my job and the nature of my firm. i guess the next step is pretty clear.

thank you all for your inputs. i feel better already.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have had people refuse to sign, but all that does is make them look foolish. If they don't want to sign, I don't push it. I just attach a note to the HR department that the employee refused to sign. Then I have to write a document summarizing the discussion with the employee and when/where it took place, so there is a record that the conversation actually took place. (Can't have the employee using the lack of a signature to later claim that no one ever talked to him/her about the review.) This annoys me and doesn't make me any fonder of the employee.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: kranky
This annoys me and doesn't make me any fonder of the employee.

which is what i have been trying to tell the OP all day

there is no "upside" to not signing the review, you only make the situation worse