Job Question - When would you call back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
Here's the story, about 2 years ago I left my previous job for a new one about 300 miles away from home w/ the intention of relocating. For reasons that aren't really worth posting about at this point, the relocation plan was scrubbed. So since about 6 months ago I've been looking for work at home (where my wife and house are).

I left my previous job with shorter notice than I would have liked so for a while I hesitated to contact them to see if I'd be welcome back. But last week I did and then Monday afternoon the engineering director called me and said that they'd like to have my back and that someone from HR staffing would be calling me to tell me which posting to put in for. He also said "start thinking about mundane things like what kind of role you'd like to take on and what your salary needs are."

I said thank you and we hung up. I forgot to ask when you expect a call from HR (I was a little stunned to hear from him at all so I wasn't thinking straight).

I called the director and left a voicemail yesterday afternoon asking what kind of time frame to expect. I am a little anxious because I really want to stop living in a hotel and it also seems like a great opportunity.

How long would you guys wait to follow up again? I don't want to nag/pester him, but I also don't want to lead to get cold.

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
So, what really happened at the other job?

Which other job? My current job? Nothing, I am still working and they are very happy with my performance. The subplot with the not relocating thing is strictly a personal decision.

If you mean my previous job, they were also happy with my performance. I left on short (1wk) notice because my current employer made it seem like it was what I had to do to ensure of sealing the deal.

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
Which other job? My current job? Nothing, I am still working and they are very happy with my performance. The subplot with the not relocating thing is strictly a personal decision.

So you have been living in a hotel at your new job for 2 years?

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
Maybe Monday but don't leave any more messages; if you get voicemail hang up.

I wouldn't, but I was worried he may see a bunch of missed calls from the same number which is no better or worse than leaving a bunch of voicemails.

I am a bit anxious as I said, because I want to get home pretty badly at this point.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
I usually call when I'm on my way to the car after the interview. It makes you look ambitious.

Status
Not open for further replies.