Job Market?

ntsf

Feb 21, 2001
How is the job market for CS graduates right now? I'm graduating with my degree in Computer Science in May, and have to decide what I'm going to do... I have some previous work experience, and a nice GPA.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
I am not sure but media reports show that your potential jobs are going overseas to India by the thousands. Unfortunately I will be in the same boat. :(

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
jobs lag the economic recovery
the economy is expected to continue through the election

you may be just a bit early on prime job opportunities

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Where in New York do you live? The job market is not the greatest in New Jersey right now... The DC area is very good though.

Zombie

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 1999
what does it matter what people here have to say about job market?

start applying instead of wasting your time asking questions here.

ManSnake

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
There are open positions, so if you are determined, you can find a job in IT. But expect the pay to be low, if entry-level, look for offer in low $40k range, those $60k plus for fresh college grad days are long gone, unfortunately...

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Zombie
what does it matter what people here have to say about job market?

start applying instead of wasting your time asking questions here.

He may want to consider graduate school, like a lot of people did because of the job market. I would recommend against that. When you get out the job market might be better, but companies will see you as a more expensive entry-level person.

ntsf

Feb 21, 2001
Where in New York do you live? The job market is not the greatest in New Jersey right now... The DC area is very good though.

Long Island... but I'd quickly be able to relocate as soon as I graduate...

Originally posted by: mugsywwiii

<--- thats why i just moved here :D.

ntsf

Feb 21, 2001
Originally posted by: ManSnake
There are open positions, so if you are determined, you can find a job in IT. But expect the pay to be low, if entry-level, look for offer in low $40k range, those $60k plus for fresh college grad days are long gone, unfortunately...

Question: Does consulting experience (IT implementation, integration, etc) count for anything, or does the newness of my degree override the experience?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: ntsf

Question: Does consulting experience (IT implementation, integration, etc) count for anything, or does the newness of my degree override the experience?

How old are you, how much experience, and in what kind of environment?

ntsf

Feb 21, 2001
Originally posted by: mugsywwiii

How old are you, how much experience, and in what kind of environment?

23. Set up an ISP with all the servers, etc. in `97, then stayed on and did sys admin and handled some tech support.
From there, was outsourced to do management of projects for some dot com's - did coding and managed other coders to get the systems up and running. Basically, I'd say about 6 of those over the last several years (not much in the way of that recently :( ).

ManSnake

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000

If you are a fresh college grad with a BS in CS, the only job you could compete in is entry-level, if you have some previous intern/co-op experience, then you will look better in the eyes of the employer, but it's hardly enough to qualify you as an experienced hire. The reality is companys are lowballing their offers for entry-level positions because they know they can.

I guess the only way you can perhaps negotiate salary is if you have multiple offers, but even then it's hard because there are just so many people out there looking for computer jobs.