Job market looking better everyday

Ulfwald

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
May 27, 2000
"Is there really a jobs problem in the United States? Try this factoid on for size. The Bureau of Labor Statistics says that with all of the baby boomers retiring, by 2005 there will only be one worker in the U.S. ready to join the workforce for every two boomers that leaves. This means that by 2008, the time of the next presidential election, there will be 10 million more jobs than there are people in this country available to fill them."

So lets hope these folks retire when they are supposed to.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Ulfwald

So lets hope these folks retire when they are supposed to.

That's being quite optimistic. Baby boomers aren't known for being frugal with their money and planning ahead.

macwinlin

Apr 11, 2002
Where did you get the quote from?

I remember reading an article in Business 2.0 a few months ago about this.

I'm uncertain about this. They may retire, but with concerns such as social security benefits, they may not.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
also, what types of jobs. White collar? Blue collar? health, law enforcement, education?

clarkmo

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2000
Ah, so maybe that's why so many jobs are being outsourced oversea. Da boomers can supplement their retirement at Mickey D's.

bleeb

Lifer
Feb 3, 2000
This is nonsense... with the way the economy is going and the population increase, you can betcha that the people will continue to work inorder to support themselves due to the lack of funding in social security! YES, those people who you think will be retiring will actually be working longer to pay for their retirements.

Don't be mislead by false statements!!

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
by 2005 there will only be one worker in the U.S. ready to join the workforce

oh dear! end of teh world!!
technology will ensure prductivity rises enough so that companies don't have to hire anybody, who is skilled.

an example: carl's junior here in SD installs 4 order taking consoles with flashy LCD screens and such. each console probably costs $5k but the labor they save would pay off in 6 months, and they can (and apparently did) fire 2-3 workers with no impact on production

here's the best part, one day the machine broke down (or were offline or something) and there was only one cashier, so the line got long, primarily because the cashier didn't know how to operate his register. some ppl walked in, saw the LCD machines were down, and walked out. i was unforunate enough to actually order in person, they got my order wrong, it took twice as long, and i can assure you that i won't be going back anytime soon. (as other disgruntled customers)

so less business for them. which means they get to fire another couple of workers!!
HURRAY THE CYCLE WORKS. LEAVE NO BILLIONAIRE BEHIND!

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
And the unemployment rate keeps sinking as more "discouraged" workers exit the work force. Awesome news!

psyman1

Oct 26, 2000
Discouraged workers?

Time to rattle my cane at the age of 28.

Try LAZY workers. I don't dispute that most people have given up finding jobs. Problem is that there are plenty of jobs available I just believe that they won't take a job that is "below their station".

The former boom days have, in my opinion, lead to an incredible increase in inefficient and overpaid workers.

Go look in the newspaper for jobs. If you live in anyplace besides the south there are likely plenty of decent, good paying jobs available if one is willing to swith posts in life.

Personal example, not sure if this indicative of countrywide trends.

I worked as an independent special needs tutor. At my last assignment I was paid 32.00 dollars an hour for 20 hours a week. I worked with a second and third child to support beyond that amount. I saw the writing on the wall for Massachusetts state budgets in regards to special needs tutors (especially since my pay was taking longer to get to me). I exited stage left and took a job at my father's company (In this regard I was VERY lucky.) for a dramatic pay CUT (40 % lower salary).

Now working for my father I often see some disturbing trends. I work as an estimator for a commericial roofing company. Note we are almost always looking for help.

-Metal sheetworker are paid $25-33 dollars an hour. (That's more than me on a per hour basis and I could argue I bring in more profit than them.) We can't find anyone to fill the positions.
-STARTING ROOFERS WITH NO EXPERIENCE are starting at the 10-11 dollar an hour range if not HIGHER! This is the rate for a very basic laborer. We can't find enough people to fill the positions even though we operate near factories that pay much LESS.
-We get people and, to be blunt, THEY SUCK! At least they suck more often than when I worked in the field roofing just 10 years ago. I don't think I am revising history either. They suck more often and end up keeping them because we can't find anyone to fill the positions. (I think we should just downsize myself.)
-Inexperience foremen with less than 5 years of TOTAL EXPERIENCE are paid 20-27 dollars an hour. 21 for the absolute worst repairman I have ever seen in my life who I have protested to get fired. 24 for my own little brother who consistanty destroys jobs (this is a seperate problem).

I check the papers and see plenty of, at the least, decent jobs. It just appears to me that a lot of people are just too lazy or too spoiled to take on something "beneath their stations".

Thanks you for listening to my rant.